Whats so bad about the Bench?

Come on now has anyone ever put the bench in a XJ? Should work if you have XJ brackets for a non rocker seat. Be a one of a kind.

Wouldn't be the first one. I saw an 84 XJ once that had a bench in front, and I believe it was factory.

wow, this thread got cleaned up just a little

I think we might have crossed a line...

Not really. I just wanted to move the thread to Tech and certain posts were a bit too, uh, off-topic for Tech. :yes:

I like my bench. The PO had it re-done so it's pretty comfortable. Plus, being an automatic I don't really need the support that buckets would offer. And, I can legally seat 3.

Come on now has anyone ever put the bench in a XJ? Should work if you have XJ brackets for a non rocker seat. Be a one of a kind.

Wouldn't be the first one. I saw an 84 XJ once that had a bench in front, and I believe it was factory.

That would be something I would like to see.

Instead of a 60/40, how about a hybrid bucket/bench combo? Use a bucket for the driver seat and an XJ rear bench seat for the rest......

Of course, I'm not basing the idea on any type of measurement and/or aesthetic concerns....

Jeff

On mine the big torx bolt that lets the seat fold forward broke in half somehow :dunno: Now the drivers side leans back against the back of the cab. At first I didnt like it, but now its kinda comfortable, kinda like a recliner. But I'm still putting the buckets in.

We got rid of the bench in out MJ because my GF is 5'1" and I'm 6'0".... When she drove I was smashed in with my knees up on the dash if I didn't sit completely sideways in it. she hit a big bump once and my knee cracked the dash and I broke the side window roll up handle... The bench had to go!

I didn't hate the bench in my other truck.... I just hated the fact the PO was a fat bastard and darn near blew the springs and foam out the bottom of the truck. And the passenger side looked like someone slaughtered an animal on it. So bucket seats looked like a nice option.