Earl*t's 89 Eliminator

Hi all, new to site and wanted to share my project. It's a 1989 Eliminator purchased from a fine gentleman in South Carolina. Rust free and solid but could use fresh paint and the usual maintenance. I drove it from Carolina to the Eastern shore of Maryland and then home to Western MD. with absolutely no problems. The only requirements to pass MD. inspection were: remove window tint, replace wiper blades, and extend the tail pipe beyond the bumper.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the old coot managed to embarass himself on the first try. This computer business is a major challenge for an old timer. While most of you were foolin around with your mj's, it took this old geezer all day to foul up a couple of pictures. Can any of y'all computer gurus move the pictures around to fit the page? Maybe I'll just stick to lookin at the pictures.

Very nice :thumbsup:

It must really suck to live in a placae that you can't have window tint and they are going to be picky about the length of the tail pipe :shake: . I hate seeing a tail pipe so I have always cut them off up under the back of the truck so they are not visible.

So...what are the project plans?

Well, the old coot managed to embarass himself on the first try. This computer business is a major challenge for an old timer. While most of you were foolin around with your mj's, it took this old geezer all day to foul up a couple of pictures. Can any of y'all computer gurus move the pictures around to fit the page? Maybe I'll just stick to lookin at the pictures.
Just use the edit feature on your post and go to the end of the sentence, click so your cursor is at the end after the word bumper and before the tag for that first picture then hit enter. It will move the picture down one line and everything will be good :thumbsup:

Thanks Brent. Did you notice it is a 2WD? I had plans to convert to 4WD but its in such good shape I'm not sure I want to go foolin around too much. I want to improve the braking. The brakes seem really weak compared to my XJ. I suscribe to Jp mag, as proably do many of you, and would like to upgrade the booster as described in their story "Double the Stopping". The steering is sloppy which may require several fixes to remedy. I've been toying around with the idea of a subtle lift and larger rubber, absolutely no cutting or modifying to the fenders. Other than paint, that's the big ticket items for now. I've had the bed off preparing for paint and undercoating but put it back on, it will be awhile before its ready for paint. The twenty year old decals have been a bear to remove. I plan on taking my time and doing a really nice restoration.

Thanks guys! Right place, right time. I had been looking for quite some time. I found the posting on auto trader early on a Sunday morning and e-mailed the owner. Decided to give him a call, gut feeling I guess. He told me that his grandson had listed the mj late the evening before and that I was the first to inquire. We worked out the logistics and now I have a sweet ride. I've had five XJ's including the 01' Classic I drive daily. It's nice to be part of a group that share a passion for old Jeep trucks.

Nice Mj man. I remember seeing the ad on autrader. I believe that it was with in a day I found mine on ebay. I have an 89 automatic and 4x4. It has fresh paint new interior and alot of the cooling system has been gone through and replaced. You have a real nic looking truck

• 2 years later...

The work begins, out with the old...
..in with the new. I know, it's only 2WD, but it still needed a little elevation adjustment. I felt like I was sitting on the ground. There may be a conversion in the future?
The origional frame before paint. VERY CLEAN!
My good friend and next door neighbor deserves the credit for this fine craftsmanship. My idea, his execution. It's exactly what I had envisioned.

Thanks, it has been a slow process. The first two coats of primer went on the bed and fender flares this week. Hopefully, things will pick-up. I'm anxious to see it come together.

Thanks for the complements guys. ( Brent ) My garage is now somewhere between organized chaos and a wreck. There isn't enough shelf space for all the parts awaiting paint and reassembly.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes, there has been progress but this project has taken way longer than expected. First, here's a little more detail on bed preparation. After an unsuccessful search for an aftermarket rollpan, I enlisted the skills of my friend, a professional paint and body tech.