Earl*t's 89 Eliminator

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

It has been an incredibly busy Spring. Earlier this week, I had the opportunity to further investigate and presumably alleviate the leaking coolant issue. Suspecting the leak to be from the water pump, the air cleaner box, power steering assembly, and bracket were removed for additional access.

The leak was not the pump but instead the thermostat housing which was removed, cleaned, and resealed with a new gasket and sealant.

In the process, I discovered another potentially dangerous situation.

A quick trip to Advanced Auto to purchase DEI heat shielding products followed by a simple installation averted further damage or possible fire.

You may find the leak will take up, she might just need driving

yeah earl... I think Coffman has got it.... bring it on out here I'll drive it around for you till it quits leaking.

What are friends for..

Your truck looks incredible. You lucky basta*d

• 2 months later...

I can't believe summer is almost over. I'm making preparations for the final show we're attending this year, Ocean City Jeep Week, Aug. 22 - 25. The AC on the Eliminator is undergoing repair and should be completed tomorrow, followed by the install of a new trans filter and fluid. I'll post pics from the show next week.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in posting OC pics.

Our residence for this trip was the National Park on Assateague Island, home of the wild ponies, as evidenced in the foreground of this picture. From my location in this  shot, the Atlantic Ocean is less than one hundred yards behind me.

Ocean City bayside, Seacrets hosted the event's meet & greet.

Julio's ride at Seacrets.

Beach Crawl paralleling the Boardwalk and the Atlantic Ocean. City restrictions limit the number of Jeeps in the parade, participation is determined by lottery.

Greetings Young Jeeper. The Eliminator has seen a few miles added to the odometer this summer. It's been a busy year. I check in on the "Club" periodically. My nephew's JK occupied a bay in the garage for several weeks for a engine swap. It moved out this past week.

Prior to the OC event, a few preventive maintenance tasks were completed. Having no AC equipment, a professional shop serviced the AC system.  One of the valves on the was leaking and seized shut. The mechanic was trying, unsuccessfully, to locate a replacement. Guess who had one on the shelf? She now blows ice cold once again making the August beach trip very comfortable.

I discovered, while servicing the auto trans, that 150 in. lbs. torque spec stated in the Chilton repair manual is incorrect. After shearing the first bolt, I consulted the torque values from a contributor on this site. I keep a laminated copy in my tool box. By the way, it's 65 in. lbs. Chilton missed by a mile. Summit provided the Wix filter, Royal Purple synthetic ATF, and Fel-pro gasket.

Using DUI components, I also replaced the distributor cap, rotor button, and wires. Replacement spark plugs completed the job.

On the day of the show and shine, the starter would not respond when it was time to leave. A tap of the hammer provided enough persuasion to start. It was an embarrassment I would endure only once. I picked up a replacement on the way back to camp for a quick resolution.

There are two projects I plan to take care of now that I have garage space. More later.

• 2 weeks later...

going to paint it to match the truck?

:hmm:  I'm not sure. I think it would look much better  but not sure I want to invest the time and energy. I figured the price was too good to pass on and it will provide a measure of security when we travel... when I get a key. It was a little crusty but cleaned up nicely with a lot of elbow grease. I had reservations about how it would obstruct my view while driving. That concern turned out to be a non-issue. The rear view is virtually unchanged. My plan is to only use the cap when needed, keeping it suspended over the truck in the garage. We'll see how that works out?

• 4 weeks later...

Photobucket WILL NOT cooperate. :fs1: I delivered the Eliminator to the painter last Tuesday evening to get the cap color matched as well a few touch-ups. He gave me a quote and said it would be in about a week. He called this afternoon stating that it was ready. Picked it up and it looks great! I'll continue to try posting pics. Allow me to do the honors. :needpics:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! I must thank the CC family yet again. I just resolved an annoying issue I've endured since the day I first test drove my Eliminator, the all too familiar squealing emanating from the front of the engine. I had exhausted all options; replacement of the  idler pulley, water pump, serpentine belt, checked belt tension/deflection, everything except replace the harmonic balancer. I had pulled the original many months ago and after a visual inspection concluded it was in acceptable condition. Even though it appeared fine, it was in fact the culprit. The new Professional Products Powerforce damper I'd ordered from Summit remedied the issue. If I had only searched the pages here sooner. :doh:  Thanks again for your contributions that directed me to an accurate resolution. FYI, some type of lubricant will assist with installation.