Earl*t's 89 Eliminator

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap Earl. Damn this looks fine. Are you absolutely certain that hood would not look better on my truck? The stock bumper in the same color as the body is great. I like the removal of the JEEP letters on the header...the look is really clean. The guy doing your body/paint work is a wizard. I can only hope mine comes out half as nice. I did not think I would care for the chrome (I have removed all of mine... not even replacing the badges or anything)

but the look on yours is great. The chrome helps break up the paint color on the front. I can't wait to see it with the pintlers mounted, and parked next to your other truck...is it the same color exactly or just "close"?

My hat is off to you sir what a great build..............

Thanks for the compliments Mr. Bob. I wonder why the company quit manufacturing these hoods? Perhaps they would consider another run if some ambitious individual could pool together enough requests to make it profitable for them. There certainly seems to be quite a bit of interest on this site not to mention the Cherokee guys. The header emblem is still an unresolved issue. I intended to replace the original with these.

This is one of the things overlooked in paint prep.

Can't compensate for the "p". :wall:

Thanks for the compliments Mr. Bob. I wonder why the company quit manufacturing these hoods? Perhaps they would consider another run if some ambitious individual could pool together enough requests to make it profitable for them. There certainly seems to be quite a bit of interest on this site not to mention the Cherokee guys. The header emblem is still an unresolved issue. I intended to replace the original with these. Experiencing technical difficulties.

If you don't mind me asking... how much did you give for yours as I assume it was bought while Reflexxion was still making them? man it sure sets your off nice. ( not that it wouldn't be sensational without it)

I think I read on here about a year ago that the last known reflexxion hood sold on Ebay for $ 750.00. (and it had been painted, mounted and separated from it's truck)

I had to opt for and accept a NOS lund visor for mine to give it that "bit of personality" we all crave. (and I defiantly spent more on that than I should have). I had one on my old 89 cherokee many years ago and liked the look.

It's one of those things you can't be ambivalent about...you either love 'em or hate 'em.

Just had my wife dig out the reciept. Purchased from CSL Offroad in March of 2012. $312.99 plus 129.99 shipping & handling for a total of $442.98. Now you know why I wish I had ordered three. As for the color, it's really close, probably faded from the abundance of Arizona sun.

It's closer than appears in the picture.

Very Nice truck, I love the attention to detail, I think you call it OCDness. :D

Have you ever thought about lowering the truck? Just curious about that.

Also, how much of the front tires aren't covered by the flare? It looks like the rears are almost flush.

What backspacing do those rims have?

Sorry for all the questions, but I too have a project in the works.

Thanks and keep up the amazing work. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestion. My wife suggested "Affliction", she say I have a serious condition. :rotf: I didn't like how low it sat originally, thus the 3" lift and 17" wheels, but to each his or her own. :thumbsup: You're right about tire/fender coverage. The rears are flush. The front end of our rigs roll inward allowing a little tire protrusion. These wheels have a ton of back spacing.

looks great Earl. I wound up going with spidertrax 1.5" spacers in the back, and my front to back track width now appears even compared to the body line and fender to tire projection. As suspected the pintlers look great and the color of the wheels with your paint color is great. You ought to pull it outside and shoot a few in the sunshine (assuming you have some...the storm we got on Weds. night/Thurs morning, was headed out your way I suppose). Your truck looks fantastic...just would like to see it in the sunlight...Oh, and yes I am jealous as hell....

Finally made some progress today. Unlike most builds here, this one has basically seen the majority of modifications and upgrades. The finishing details however seem to be taking forever. The process has been mock-up, undo, mock-up again, undo. So today the rear fender flares were put on for the last time. During deconstruction, many of the bolts on the mounting brackets sheared due to rusted threads.
I had to cut off the old studs and weld new bolts onto the flare retainers, a little paint and good to go. My wife helped by cleaning and armoring-alling the flare liners.
The plastic wheelhouse splash shields were still like new except for some discoloration. Rather than using screws, I enlarged the mounting holes to accommodate pop rivets. This detail necessitated pulling the rear wheels/tires. I believe I've done this wheel/tire exercise more on this build than I have on all the vehicles combined that I've owned.
The color in this shot is the reflection of the red Comanche sitting next to it. In the back ground is the bracing for the roll pan.

I needed to wire the cargo light so I could begin installing the headliner and interior panels.

Next, new door seals were installed.

My lovely assistant helped install the headliner, visors and panels around the doors. We also trimed for the new interior lights.

I have no doubt you will, especially at my snails pace. I retrieved my old hood from my out building to swap hardware, plus front fender inner liners are ready for the wife to clean up and armor all. She's a sweetheart. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my sweetie's clean up effort was all for not. The front fender liners were from my other project. The previous owner had done the later model frontend swap and trimmed (hacked) the front corners off. To expedite progress, she ordered replacement liners from Rock Auto to save some money. Great price and quick delivery, just a few days. I received two right side liners, one of which was not even close to a Comanche unit  . The other was incredibly thin. The adage, "You get what you pay for" applied. Customer service was excellent with an immediate refund and "keep the parts". So, I've been waiting for the next set  ordered from another source. I have completed a few more details I'll post up.

New tail light bulbs. Four were original with bulbs broken and stuck, I mean STUCK, in the sockets. Turned into quite a job.

Wired LED plate lights.

New replacement mirrors.

Freshly painted wiper arms.

And the front end lit up.

Did you make that roll pan yourself? It looks amazing :thumbsup:

Thanks. My friend (a paint and body pro) and I collaborated. I bent the sheet metal and box for the plate. We welded in a simple 3/8" round stock framework. It was temporarily screwed to the bed and then we rolled the metal around the round stock starting in the center where I made the relief cuts. The center section was tacked in place first. Then the sides were rolled and tack welded on the side as we worked slowly and deliberately. The excess metal was trimmed off. Other than the initial bends I'd made in a break, it was all hand work.

That is some great worksmanship :thumbsup: I talked to my dad and he said i could do that (He took Collision and Fab at wyotech) So guess what just made it to the top of my to do list other than my wheels lift and tires! Summer project! Thanks for sharing now to see what my results will be!  :crossfingers: Only thing diffrent I'm gonna do though is cut out a hole for a hitch in the center of the plate box and have the tag flip up so its hidden