• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to run the trans out of the camaro are you going with a divorced transfer case?

No, I am going to use the same dual 231 cases.  The transmission will be rebuilt with a 4WD tail housing.  Most likely from Novak to convert it to the six bolt Jeep pattern.

Willy

If you're going to run the trans out of the camaro are you going with a divorced transfer case?

No, I am going to use the same dual 231 cases. The transmission will be rebuilt with a 4WD tail housing. Most likely from Novak to convert it to the six bolt Jeep pattern.

Willy

Speaking of 231 doubler, how has your setup been for you? I dunno why, because I rarely go out but I've been looking at getting a toyota xtra cab to make into a wheeler, parts are cheapish and I want more room. Nobody wants to pay what I'm asking for the mj and I'll lose my butt so I'm browsing 231 doubler options

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No, I am going to use the same dual 231 cases. The transmission will be rebuilt with a 4WD tail housing. Most likely from Novak to convert it to the six bolt Jeep pattern.

Willy

Speaking of 231 doubler, how has your setup been for you? I dunno why, because I rarely go out but I've been looking at getting a toyota xtra cab to make into a wheeler, parts are cheapish and I want more room. Nobody wants to pay what I'm asking for the mj and I'll lose my butt so I'm browsing 231 doubler options

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

For the price I am very happy. The only thing that would be nice is if one of the cases had a lower low range. It would be nice to choose from 2.72, somewhere in the 4.0 range, and double low.

Willy

Here's another MJ guy interested in an LS swap.

Take a very close look at 5th gen Camaro exhaust manifolds. All signs point to them fitting but I have yet to see someone try them for our trucks.

Good luck!

I will keep that in mind, but I am guessing those are probably not easy or cheap to come by at this time. I will probably go with the Novak conversion headers just to keep it simple. Maybe I will have to add that to my Craigslist searching.....

Willy

Have a look around 5th gen. Camaro forums such as camaro5.com. Look around for the L99 (same thing as LS3?) manifolds. I've seen them sell for as little as $50 for a pair! Some of these guys are practically giving them away with the stock cats. We just fitted a set of these on an LS swapped JK at the shop I work at and they fit super close to the block. Come the day when I build my next rig it'll be an LS swap and I'll probably be looking at these manifolds.

2015-Camaro-L99-SS-V8-Stock-OEM-Manifold

These newer manifolds are soooo much better than the old fbody or truck pieces.

Unless you're going with some wild cam or something you won't really benefit from shorty headers over a nice LS3 or similar manifold. Long tubes are a different story however.

I went with the Novak Shorty swap headers on mine, but the stock LS2 manifolds I'm pretty sure would've fit. I had some issues with the first few headers I got from them being out of whack and hitting the starter mounting boss on the block, but their customer service was really good getting me replacements quickly. New ones fit really nice, right between the block and firewall.

Here's a good little comparison between cast manifolds, shorty headers, and longtubes on an 6.0L LS on the dyno (Motor Trend Engine Masters)

Spoiler alert!

Cast Manifolds: 453.2 lbft @ 5300 rpm, 474.2 hp @ 5700 rpm

Shorties: 464.3 lbft @ 5400 rpm, 488.2 hp @ 5700 rpm

LongTubes: 474.3 lbft @ 4500 rpm, 494.5 hp @ 5700rpm

• 7 months later...

Hey Willy do you have any pics of the front cage brackets installed behind the fenders??? I am wanting to build a cage like yours and would like to see how you tied it in...

Check out page 29, post 571.  I welded those plates to the area below the A pillar and behind the fenders.  The front feet of the cage land on those plates.  There are some other pics on that page with the cage bolted to it.

Willy