F*ck FRAM and all that they are.

Kenosha Warrior

So I got into a pinch and had to change my oil (don't ask) I did the runaround to get a filter and ended up with everyone closed except Canadian Tire, and guess what, no Motomaster brand filters, just FRAM, So I figured, why not, grabbed the High Mileage filter and took off.

Get home, get everything buttoned back up with fresh stuff, do the start. knockknockknockknockknockknockknockknock

f*ck, get out, check for major puddle, check for leak, check for any stupid mistake. Nope all clear? Start again, knockknockknockknockknockknockknockknock. So I swap to my old filter, no noise...

So off to canadian tire again with this filter, so maybe I can get a refund or SOMETHING. Christ, I had less than 3L of oil in the damn 4.0 and it never knocked, this damn thing had EVERY drop of oil in it and knocked like it was dying.

I have herd many bad stories about fram and stoped using them years ago and use nothing but WIX and that also is one of the reasons y i don't shop at places like autozone , kragen and napa (unless i have to) that IMO carry garbage parts and on top of that the majority of the people that work there are stupid (not to offend any one) and can't tell the difference between their a$$ and a hole in the ground

I work for advance auto parts part-time and the only "Brand" available for the 4.0 is the house brand called Purolator. I have used 2 with no problems. so I guess I will continue to use them. I have used fram in other cars with no problems. this is interesting to read.

*edit* I wasn't thinking right and worded things wrong. Purolator is NOT a house brand for advance. My bad.

I have herd many bad stories about fram and stoped using them years ago and use nothing but WIX and that also is one of the reasons y i don't shop at places like autozone , kragen and napa (unless i have to) that IMO carry garbage parts and on top of that the majority of the people that work there are stupid (not to offend any one) and can't tell the difference between their a$$ and a hole in the ground

Damn, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. :D Although I tend to agree with most of what you are saying. The key to buying parts in these places is to do your homework BEFORE you walk in, check their web sites, decide on exactly which part/brand you want as they usually offer several brands and p/n's to chose from, make an informed decision, then do your thing. If you depend on the non-informed parts drone to decide what's best for you in these places, including the dealership, you're the one who doesn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground and you deserve whatever they sell you. :cheers:

I what exactly is the problem that fram filters cause? I have 3 jeep in my driveway with fram filters on them that haven't had a problem but I'm worried now. What is a good brand to use?

Purolator, Wix, Mobil-1

I work for advance auto parts part-time and the only "Brand" available for the 4.0 is the house brand called Purolator.

Ummmm ... Purolator is a MAJOR aftermarket manufacturer. They are not Advance Auto's "house brand."

i've ran several fram filters with no issues, but i don't make a habit of it.

right now i'm running a volvo filter (volvo mechanic during the day, jeep enthusiast by night.) and there is a volvo part for everything ;)

among top brands to stick with are

WIX, purolator, and i'm not sure if theyre available for jeeps but we use MANN filters at work and i do ALOT of oil changes, and haven't paid for any motors yet so i guess theyre good :dunno:

I work for advance auto parts part-time and the only "Brand" available for the 4.0 is the house brand called Purolator.

Ummmm ... Purolator is a MAJOR aftermarket manufacturer. They are not Advance Auto's "house brand."

sorry tired, didn't think that one thru. you are right. power flow is the "house brand". my bad. and I didn't see Purolator at any store untill advance. so before I worked there I didn't know the differance.

I think any filter that puts enough engineering into it and gives the filter a anti-drain valve then it should be a pretty good quality..

I won't buy any filter unless it has that valve..

You can tell if it has one by looking in the hole and it looks just like a thermostat on the top...

The Purolator I just put on my truck didn't even say it had that valve on the box,, I had to visually check between 3 or 4 before I chose the nice blue one..

I run Wix oversize filter to hold the extra oil addative i dump in to get the zinc and phosphorous back that the government took out of motor oil. Flat tappet cams need the zinc for the metal on metal contact that newer cars don't need as much of because they are all roller cams. The government don't care about our 4.0's and 2.5's

http://www.wheels.daytondailynews.com/d ... 15WOW.html

I've used Fram for years and no problems at all...red truck has a CarQuest filter, since I was there and figured what the hell. No problems from that one either.

Then again I've been using Autolite platinums with no problems either...

WIX is THE brand I use. I have tried others in the past with a number of problems for oil pressure to no flow to one burst filter!!! That one was a FORD filter!!

WIX makes a great filter, you won't regret switching to them.

CW

I agree that WIX is a great brand. I have personally witnessed the failure of FRAM and the damage it can do. The most common problem with them is internal collapse and blocking of oil flow.

I use AMSOIL brand filters because I use nothing but AMSOIL in my stuff. AMSOIL also sells WIX filters, so, IMO, that's a good testament to them as well.

My 2 cents:

Back in the late 80's, a Jeep Service Manager from Watertown, MA (not sure if they are still in business-they were a tiny dealership) told me that I should only use the Mopar oil filter and NEVER use a Fram. He told me that he had seen two 4.0 engines damaged from their use.

Not sure if he was blowing smoke (to sell more factory parts), but reading this thread makes me wonder!