Rear bumper

Lookin or pictures of rear bumpers that are non-stock. we all know what a stock comanche bumper looks like, gaudy. I am going to be building something this week and am looking for ideas. Sort of leaning towards a very heavy duty roll pan with 2" reciever and shackle mounts built in.

Here is mine... Built it when I first got my Manche.

Its 3.5" sprinkler pipe. I added a 2" receiver and welded it to modified factory mounts. Shortly after I added reinforcements from the receiver angles forward. tied into the "frame" in four places with grade 8 1/2" bolts.

CW

Its 5"x 2" I forget the wall thickness (I think it was 1/4", I tried to get it bigger but it wasnt available from the steel shop)

Story is that I bought an XJ front bumper from JCR Offroad and I made the rear one to match it. Here is the front.

n6603948_30924275_5812.jpg

They sold the D-ring tabs as builder parts so I bought those and just welded them on.

Yah, it is bedliner. I got the front and the rear bumpers done at the same time that I had the bed done. I also got some stuff sprayed below the lowest body line. Its a rocker guard type product that I had colored the same color as the new paint. All total, it ran me $1000 cash at the local bodyshop to have this all done. I like it though, and its guaranteed forever.

n6603948_30881066_2645.jpg

Link to the bumper I got from JCR Offroad (I also got the unibody tie in brackets for obvious reasons):

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1XJFST4&Category_Code=XJB

They also now offer the bumpers to be bought with liner already on them. They didnt have that option when I bought mine. Also if anyone orders from them, they ship the bumpers in bare steel so be ready with a can of primer when it comes in the mail. I like that they do it this way cause it gives the chance to add things on if you want...

• 3 weeks later...
I like the mounts i made for mine but i never finished them... i was going to strengthen it with 2" angel at the bottom of the frame rail so it would kinda be shaped like the factory mounts so it wouldn't bend when side loaded. tube is 2x5" 3/16

Image Not Found

Very cool bumper, I am inspired to build one like yours.

What size is the steel you made for the mounts?

Also do you have any pics of it mounted on your MJ?

TIA.

This is what I am leaning towards. It is made my Detours Offroad. I have contacted them to see if I can get one, but they don't currently have a jig for it, so they need a truck to fab it.

2265623250099727418S425x425Q85.jpg

I was certain, EAGLE got him a truck WAY BACK!!!

Whats the deal here????

That is a very nice clean looking bumper!!

CW

That is a VERY nice design. I would be interested in one of those, but would rather see a smooth design on the quarter panel protection instead of the diamond plate look. That look is just old and out of style.

2265623250099727418S425x425Q85.jpg

Kinda off topic but does anyone make a weld in rear roll pan for an MJ I would like to install one on my street beater? Also what is every one using for the main section I was thinking some 2x5x3/16's or 2x6x3/16's would be plenty strong with the tow points hooked into the frame.

That is a VERY nice design. I would be interested in one of those, but would rather see a smooth design on the quarter panel protection instead of the diamond plate look. That look is just old and out of style.

It looks like they offer a "Smoothie SLS Bumper: Exterior fabrication is a totally smooth steel finish."

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbumper.php

Not sure how these would work on an MJ, but I like the look, just not the price...

SW2