Bench seat

70barracuda

3 minutes ago, 70barracuda said:

Someone talk me out of wanting a bench seat. I have custom "racing" buckets currently and I love them, but I've always wanted a bench seat just to give it the old school truck vibe. Ideally I would get it refinished to match the tan and plaid interior in have. Thoughts?? 

Won't be me that talks you out of it. I like the Comanche bench for the same reason. 

Old school or not, stock bench seats remind me of the uncomfortable fold out sofa I had to sleep on 50 years ago when I visited my grandmother . 

I couldn't get the bench out of my truck fast enough.  Bucket seats make it feel sportier.  Besides, the cab's too small for a bench to be practical.

I have reupholstered Eliminator buckets and I love them.  :L:

08222014 007.jpg

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

just be sure to get one with headrests. :L:   before 1990 Jeep apparently felt you needed to pay more for the buckets in order to protect your neck. 

But Pete, when I had my bench in I could wear a cowboy hat while I drove lol that’s obviously why 

I loved my bench seat, it was so comfy and made me feel like I was driving a couch, The only reason I took it out was for the set of limited buckets that I couldn’t pass up. (apparently I didn’t get any good bench pictures while it was in there)C4A12513-5AAB-431B-96CD-54791C6A7FF4.jpeg.8ac82f640ab374e71f70253a2cf4f3f8.jpeg

2B5BCD61-FFCF-4575-9115-7E882A1F7A28.png.ee2344364f05efc2a10826ff65ea75ec.png

2D43BCEA-4D52-4D8A-961C-6154E6147003.jpeg.62b2e340cfc153c78667d33104341f79.jpeg

E161AB94-9FA4-46EC-9725-076EDF02068E.jpeg.e104272f36ac72ff2ada9b892d5b6049.jpeg

But I’d say bench all the way, it’s so useful to have that 3rd seat, and just to be able to throw stuff in the middle

If I had a set of blue buckets and a blue center console, they’d go in my truck right away. I found buckets to be more comfortable when I had my other trucks, plus I’d like center console storage. Sure, the middle seat is nice, but it’s not great with a 5 speed. If I need to haul more than me and 1 other person, I’ll take the Eagle anyways. 

7 minutes ago, 70barracuda said:

Even with the bench I would only ever have 1 other person with me.

Seeing the pictures of the bench make me want it lol even though I built this to be a sort of race jeep I just love a grandpa fresh interior on an old truck

Lol I mean the seat belt will hold you in place enough right… but seriously seatbelts required or else you’ll be on the other side of the Jeep, just ask some of my old passengers:roflmao:

So my buddy brought up a very good point for the bench. I am pretty short and sit extremely close to be able to reach the pedals. Pretty much everyone that ever rides with me is gonna be squished against the dash. So I'm sticking with the buckets.  I think I am going to paint them with the sem color. I've had excellent results redoing the arm rests so I figure why not. 

My MJ came with 97 four door XJ buckets. I swapped them out for 92 two door XJ bucket seats. But now I'm looking to swap a bench in there. I have a 88 S10 with a bench seat and it just suits these little trucks better, IMO. The wife and I can go for a ride with the dog in the S10 but not in the MJ