Upgrade your windshield wipers for GOOD! 2001 XJ wiper motor swap

As almost all of us know, our stock MJ windshield wipers suck. The last few years I've done a few upgrades, from installing a reman motor, a NOS motor, replacing the bushings on the transmission. Each one only offered minimal improvement. Now I've "heard" a few guys say that you can swap over a late model XJ motor if you splice the pigtails, and I'm happy to report it does indeed work, and it makes the wipers "wipe" twice as fast!

661786357_Wipermotorcompare.jpg.67d16b7e5b52c8740652644c2222396b.jpg

Comparison of the 01 XJ (top) and the 89 MJ wiper assembly. They are identical, except for the pigtails on the motor.

I cut the pigtail off a spare 89 motor I had and spliced it onto the 01 motor. Here's the wiring:

wiring.jpg.b38fd2bfe5852d7dc1cf6d071eb099c0.jpg

795812490_splicedmotor.jpg.2ec2a952c06313bc40bd0c6ffb204da8.jpg

I also added an additional ground wire to the harness end of the wiper motor wiring inside the cowl.

1507901390_addedground.jpg.0b6e8936612f90c4be259d46a9943cc1.jpg

YouTube link of the procedure below. Skip to 25:37 to see the results. Everyone should do this upgrade to their rig!

• Airborne Janitor changed the title to Upgrade your windshield wipers for GOOD! 2001 XJ wiper motor swap
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Airborne Janitor said:

No one looks at DIY :-(

the master DIY thread with all the links has over 100k views.  :D   but there's rarely much discussion so I prefer new threads to start here for comments.  :L: 

1 minute ago, armyvet25 said:

Awesome, mine needs it for sure, high is slower than normal, plus I want to add an intermittent relay

If yours didn't have the intermittent delay then you'll probably have to replace your turn signal stalk (aka: multi-function switch), and add the intermittent wiper control module.

3 minutes ago, Airborne Janitor said:

If yours didn't have the intermittent delay then you'll probably have to replace your turn signal stalk (aka: multi-function switch), and add the intermittent wiper control module.

It’s a bit more involved than that. He actually has to replace the current switch the signal stalk goes into with an intermittent one. 

9 minutes ago, armyvet25 said:

I love wiring challenges, I'm going to leave the wiring stock but splice into the slow speed with a relay tied directly to a separate knob controlling speed at the dash

If you want to add a variable intermittent function, you need to send a "pulse" to the wiper motor low circuit. The motors' internal circuitry will then complete the rotation and land on park again. That pulse is on a variable resistance timer. Unless you're looking to just press a button and the wipers move once? If that's the case, the mist function works for that. 

The intermittent wiper switch in the column along with the accompanying lever and the intermittent module are required unless you want to design your own wiper delay module??? That's a ton of work

Unless you're planning to splice in a pre-assembled wiper delay module to just send the pulse to the low side?? The factory version swap is very easy and quite cheap.

10 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

If you want to add a variable intermittent function, you need to send a "pulse" to the wiper motor low circuit. The motors' internal circuitry will then complete the rotation and land on park again. That pulse is on a variable resistance timer. Unless you're looking to just press a button and the wipers move once? If that's the case, the mist function works for that. 

The intermittent wiper switch in the column along with the accompanying lever and the intermittent module are required unless you want to design your own wiper delay module??? That's a ton of work

Unless you're planning to splice in a pre-assembled wiper delay module to just send the pulse to the low side?? The factory version swap is very easy and quite cheap.

:thanks:

18 hours ago, Airborne Janitor said:

Please do, I'm actually honored! Can't tell you how many times I've been on your site over the years to fix my rig, thanks cruiser!

I'm working horribly long hours now and the website is being contrary, but I will get this done. Pete

Expert.jpg