Upgrade your windshield wipers for GOOD! 2001 XJ wiper motor swap

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just going off the pictures on Rockauto the two look like mirror images of each other. 
XJ:

IMG_6314.jpeg.e767bed6c7598ffa19c43f9339eb9b05.jpeg

TJ:

IMG_6315.jpeg.485f22d13f4006010e55029fbd4e11d8.jpeg

Basically looks like the motor body angles the opposite direction from the head. Its possible it might go in that way I guess. Hard to say without trying to do it. If I was buying a replacement I would just get the correct one. 

I still haven’t seen evidence to support the later motor is any different to the old one other than the plug. Think about it. Has anyone ever replaced an old worn out starter motor without noticing how much faster the new one turns over their engine? Why would a wiper motor be any different?

I changed mine because it was struggling to sweep across a dry window. But the speed of the new motor doesn’t seem any faster than the old one did over a wet window. 

1 hour ago, Malibu Manche said:

Have you thought about making one you can sell with the full wiring loom?

Like, one with the correct plug on it so it just plugs in? Just order one for your year truck if yours is getting weak. The newer one doesn’t wipe any faster than my old one did. Any difference in torque can be explained away by it not being 33 years old and stinking of electrical failure. 

5 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Like, one with the correct plug on it so it just plugs in? Just order one for your year truck if yours is getting weak. The newer one doesn’t wipe any faster than my old one did. Any difference in torque can be explained away by it not being 33 years old and stinking of electrical failure. 

oh fr? that sucks. was looking forward to a much nicer one.

10 hours ago, Malibu Manche said:

oh fr? that sucks. was looking forward to a much nicer one.

If your wiper motor is struggling to wipe a dry windsheild it’s probably due for replacement anyhow, and a replacement will feel like a pretty big improvement. 

I was skeptical.

I swapped a used 2001 motor into my 91 XJ.  Went from 40 wipes per minute to 52 on a wet windshield.  I think that is a noticeable difference.

Would a new motor intended for a 1991 give the same results?  I don't know.  Something I do know, it would have cost twice as much money.

I had already added a better ground to the wiper motor before I did this "upgrade". After installing the new motor I noticed no improvement at all compared to improving the ground alone.

I did not count wipes/time before upgrading the ground/replacing bushings, but I noticed a big improvement with casual observation. I noticed no difference with the late model wiper motor swap.

I had my wife use a stopwatch and activate the wipers while I sprayed the windshield with a garden hose and counted wipes. With the truck running I am up to 59 wipes per minute.

6 hours ago, EUREKA said:

I had already added a better ground to the wiper motor before I did this "upgrade". After installing the new motor I noticed no improvement at all compared to improving the ground alone.

I did not count wipes/second before upgrading the ground/replacing bushings, but I noticed a big improvement with casual observation. I noticed no difference with the late model wiper motor swap.

I had my wife use a stopwatch and activate the wipers while I sprayed the windshield with a garden hose and counted wipes. With the truck running I am up to 59 wipes per second.

that is very interesting....

• 2 weeks later...

According to factory parts books, the front wiper motor for the 1984-86 XJ and the '86 MJ is P/N 56000899.

For the 1987-1990 MJ/XJ, the P/N changes to 56001402 but it looks like the same drawing was used.

For the 1991-92 MJ and 1991-93 XJ, the P/N changes to 4723460 but it again looks the same. There is a "w/ crank" unit listed as well, P/N 55154611.

For the 1994-1996 XJ, the P/N changes to the previous "w/ crank" item (55154611) and it again looks the same.

From 1997-1999, it's P/N 55155297 and the drawing looks different from previous years.

From 2000-2001, the P/N is basically the same, 55155297AB, and it looks the same.

Side note: There are different motors for RHD models and CJ/YJ/ZJ.

So--my assumption is that the 1997-2001 motor will work--one does not have to specifically find an '01.

The turn signal switch and lever in my brother's '87 Comanche is non-intermittent. Is it true that the necessary wiring is in the engine and cab harnesses, so that if we swap in the intermittent switch (56000032, aka NAPA ECH WS1019) and the intermittent lever (56000433), the intermittent function will work?

Thanks!

Edited by kentsu66
Had some part numbers wrong, oops

34 minutes ago, kentsu66 said:

According to factory parts books, the same motor is used in the 1987-1993 MJ/XJ: P/N 56030005.

From 1994-1996, the P/N changes to 55154611 but the drawing looks like the earlier setup.

From 1997-1999, it's P/N 55155297 and the drawing looks different from previous years.

From 2000-2001, the P/N is basically the same, 55155297AB.

So--my assumption is that the 1997-2001 motor will work--one does not have to specifically find an '01.

The turn signal switch and lever in my brother's '87 Comanche is non-intermittent. Is it true that the necessary wiring is in the engine and cab harnesses, so that if we swap in the intermittent switch (56000032, aka NAPA ECH WS1019) and the intermittent lever (56000433), the intermittent function will work?

Thanks!

you'll need the intermittent brain box that velcros under the dash right in front of the driver's knees. 

The "intermittent brain box" plugs in between the switch and vehicle harness. I don't know if there's anything there on a non-intermittent truck, never really looked for it on mine.

As to the motors, the aftermarket parts breakdown have one part number for '84 to '90, one for '90-'99, and then '00 and '01. Similar part numbers between different brands suggest they're the same motors regardless of the box they come in. I suppose it's possible the difference between a -'90 and '91+ is more than plug deep, but that really didn't look to be the case for my '91 vs the '01. I don't know if the aftermarket would necessarily be a perfect replica of the OE motors either. I guess what I'm saying is I'm open to the idea I'm missing some key fact that does differentiate the motor performance, but from what I've seen it really doesn't look like I am.

I did pick up some '97+ wiper arms to go on the truck so I can use J-hook wiper blades instead of the side pin... thing. Not as hard to track down blades to fit the two different bayonets my Ladas use that also have been converted or will soon be, but it's nice to just be able to grab a wiper blade at a gas station if the need so arises. The '97+ wiper arm is a very definite upgrade that is very much worth doing.

20 minutes ago, Pete M said:

you'll need the intermittent brain box that velcros under the dash right in front of the driver's knees. 

Ah! I suppose this is the "governor" that the parts book refers to? And the harness has a connector for it, I presume?

3 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Are the internals any different? They all use different length wiper blades. That would mean higher current demand to move the longer ones. 

That's an interesting theory.  I haven't compared the insides of the two.

16 minutes ago, kentsu66 said:

@schardein Thanks for your comments. Does the "no delay" sticker on one of your units mean it's not working properly? Just wondering what my brother and I should watch out for when we go yardin'... Thanks.

Yes, exactly.  I test these intermittent wiper modules, and then mark them and add to the pile.  I have a bench test setup, so I can test the wiper delay modules (with a known to be good wiper motor), and wiper motors (with a known to be good delay module).  It's fairly common for the delay to not work, but I've also had a few where low doesn't work.  There is another topic here at Comanche Club about repairing these modules, but I have not tried it.

1 minute ago, schardein said:

Yes, exactly.  I test these intermittent wiper modules, and then mark them and add to the pile.  I have a bench test setup, so I can test the wiper delay modules (with a known to be good wiper motor), and wiper motors (with a known to be good delay module).  It's fairly common for the delay to not work, but I've also had a few where low doesn't work.  There is another topic here at Comanche Club about repairing these modules, but I have not tried it.

Thanks much!

12 hours ago, schardein said:

Sometimes cleaning the corrosion off the contacts is all it takes for repairing. I had one that didn't work, popped it open, used baking soda + water paste, scrubbed with a toothbrush, let it dry and put it back together and it worked again. Might get lucky with some of them that way.