Spanish?

Eagle

6 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

google translate helps those that do not. :thinking:

Google translates doesn't "translate" so much as "transliterate." It's perhaps marginally better than Bing translator -- but not much. DeepL is far better, but I need a technical/mechanical situation explained and the computer translators don't have the vocabulary to even begin to handle it.

I imagine someone will chime in soon with the Spanish ability you need and yes you need to find someone who is fluent. I studied French and some of the literal translations I have heard over the years are hilarious and I am sure I had some faux pas that would embarrass me. One of my favorites is a student arriving to college French class and having to explain why she was late, in French. Her response was that there was a traffic jelly. 

14 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I’m a native Spanish and English speaker. Few other languages also. My parents moved to ecuador when I was 2. I’m also a certified language instructor. 

I envy people who can speak multiple languages. My late wife's cousin speaks six languages, all fluently. DISGUSTING!

What I needed was to explain to my step-grandson in Chile why I can't get the transfer case skid plate off my late wife's 2000 XJ because the bolts are seized up in the riv-nuts and the riv-nuts just spin when I try to unfasten them. Grandson can't understand why I don't just use a longer breaker bar.

Omega Rugal gave me something to send him. If that doesn't convey the idea, I'll ask you guys for more help. Thanks.

On 2/14/2021 at 11:51 AM, Eagle said:

I envy people who can speak multiple languages. My late wife's cousin speaks six languages, all fluently. DISGUSTING!

My wife speaks 5 languages.  I was doing pretty good at learning Spanish before we married.  More and more I began accidentally slipping Bisaya into my Spanish as that's my wife's native tongue.  Bisaya slowly began taking over what little Spanish I had learned.  

Just recently I introduced my wife in Spanish, but used "Asawa" instead of "Esposa" for wife.   Dude looked at me like, "what the F is an Asawa??"   I've said "Oo" instead of "Si" a few times too.  Feel like an idiot when I do that.

Asked a random dude in a convenient store check-out line to "spit on me" once.  Yea.  Real cool.

Hope you got the help you needed, Eagle.  i would had likely caused an international incident if I had attempted to help you.  

I know exactly what you mean. Because my school switched me from Spanish (7th and 8th grades) to French (high school, three years), once I got back to trying again to re-learn Spanish after 40 years they kind of ran together. The little Spanish I learned was probably sort of "Sprench." And I, too, made lots of embarrassing mistakes. Like when my wife and I went to Quebec. In Quebec, if any of you aren't aware, they speak predominately French. I know I made a lot of mistakes on that trip but the one I instantly remember was when we went into a restaurant and asked for a seat by the "ventana."

"Ventana" is Spanish for window. The French word is "fenetre."

Oh, well.

The laugh of the day during that trip was when we were in a small street that's pedestrians only, chock full of tourist shops. We were in one and I was attempting to translate between my wife and a saleswoman. When the woman heard me talking to my wife in Spanish, she just took over. Turns out she was from some South American country and Spanish was her native language. My work was done -- the ladies didn't need me any more.

Years ago I was a student of Spanish having left my workable knowledge of Japanese behind.  When I met my wife who is German, I left Spanish behind for German.  I expect you're probably beginning to get the picture.  Anyway, we used to travel in Europe a fair bit with friends.  Traveling in Italy I remember in one sentence using English, German, Spanish and Italian.  Everyone knew what I meant and a good laugh was had by all.  I spent a month in Spain once visiting and traveling with friends that live there.  I used to go out by myself to Tapas bars for "pre-lunch" or almzuero and would order little beers called cana, pronounced with the little tilde above the n.  Having heard pretty constantly another very similar "four letter word" that sounds out with long O sounds instead of the short A sounds I was constantly ordering little beers using the wrong word that is shall we say is "very" gender specific.  The look of confusion I would get from the bar tender would prompt me to say, you know, una cervesa por favor.  I once made the same mistake with my Spanish friends with me and of course they were completely mortified saying "Get out, just get out, in not entirely mock outrage.  Got those two words cleared up right then and there.

1 hour ago, rokinn said:

Years ago I was a student of Spanish having left my workable knowledge of Japanese behind.  When I met my wife who is German, I left Spanish behind for German.  I expect you're probably beginning to get the picture.  Anyway, we used to travel in Europe a fair bit with friends.  Traveling in Italy I remember in one sentence using English, German, Spanish and Italian.  Everyone knew what I meant and a good laugh was had by all.  I spent a month in Spain once visiting and traveling with friends that live there.  I used to go out by myself to Tapas bars for "pre-lunch" or almzuero and would order little beers called cana, pronounced with the little tilde above the n.  Having heard pretty constantly another very similar "four letter word" that sounds out with long O sounds instead of the short A sounds I was constantly ordering little beers using the wrong word that is shall we say is "very" gender specific.  The look of confusion I would get from the bar tender would prompt me to say, you know, una cervesa por favor.  I once made the same mistake with my Spanish friends with me and of course they were completely mortified saying "Get out, just get out, in not entirely mock outrage.  Got those two words cleared up right then and there.

LOL big mistake