2 door XJ owners

89 MJ

There has to be a few of you that have owned or own a 2 door XJ. I am very familiar with MJs, but I want to add a 2 door XJ to the fleet. My question is, how do they compare to an MJ in ride quality, space, driveability, and usability? I know I could buy a 4 door XJ, which would be more practical, but the 2 doors are cooler. I've never really driven an XJ either, so I don't know much about how they drive. Is it worthwhile to add one to my fleet? Thanks in advance.

From driving chunk on the busy WA free way for a few hours, I will say an XJ is comfortable to drive. It’s a little more comfortable than an MJ but my MJ could also need a little more TLC in some places. 

As far as a two door XJ. You’re pretty much getting an XJ but with 2 long doors. 

8 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

There has to be a few of you that have owned or own a 2 door XJ. I am very familiar with MJs, but I want to add a 2 door XJ to the fleet. My question is, how do they compare to an MJ in ride quality, space, driveability, and usability? I know I could buy a 4 door XJ, which would be more practical, but the 2 doors are cooler. I've never really driven an XJ either, so I don't know much about how they drive. Is it worthwhile to add one to my fleet? Thanks in advance.

If you ever want to use the back seat it is not very fun imho... My first ever vehicle was a 1994 2-door. Yeah it was cool but it was not very practical. 

I love driving XJ’s. Mine is my daily and road tripper. I’ve taken it on 8hr drives and I think it’s comfortable. The cargo space is the back is pretty big with the seats folded down cause the frame of the vehicle doesn’t have much to it so it’s pretty roomy and square. 2dr is up to you if you’re gonna be in and out of the back seat constantly. You can get 2drs with rear vent windows so check for those if the one you’re looking at doesn’t have them. 

31 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

From driving chunk on the busy WA free way for a few hours, I will say an XJ is comfortable to drive. It’s a little more comfortable than an MJ but my MJ could also need a little more TLC in some places. 

This is mainly what I was wondering. I wasn't sure if it would have a stiffer ride compared to the MJ due to the shorter wheelbase and shorter leaf springs.

26 minutes ago, Torq_Shep said:

If you ever want to use the back seat it is not very fun imho... My first ever vehicle was a 1994 2-door. Yeah it was cool but it was not very practical. 

I'm 16 years old. Practicality means almost nothing to me. :roflmao: I am just looking for something that could seat 4 people in a pinch, but still be unique. And I need something to drive in the winter, and the rear seat would rarely, if ever, get used.

16 minutes ago, sammisox said:

I love driving XJ’s. Mine is my daily and road tripper. I’ve taken it on 8hr drives and I think it’s comfortable. The cargo space is the back is pretty big with the seats folded down cause the frame of the vehicle doesn’t have much to it so it’s pretty roomy and square. 2dr is up to you if you’re gonna be in and out of the back seat constantly. You can get 2drs with rear vent windows so check for those if the one you’re looking at doesn’t have them. 

The back seat wouldn't get used much at all. Thanks for the reply, my biggest concerns were driveability and if it had enough space to put stuff in the rear.

I loved my 98 2dr and still regret selling it.  The 2dr feels bigger in the front seat than a 4dr does.  Adults can still get into the back seat but it's not the most fun thing to do.  I didn't notice any difference in driveability or anything like that compared to a 4dr, it's just got 2 less doors.  You will likely find that the doors sag, especially the driver's side, because they are so long and heavy.  

I kept the rear seat folded down for maximum cargo space and made a cargo net to separate the front seat from the back to avoid having a heavy toolbox flying through the front in the event of an accident.  

2 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

I loved my 98 2dr and still regret selling it.  The 2dr feels bigger in the front seat than a 4dr does.  Adults can still get into the back seat but it's not the most fun thing to do.  I didn't notice any difference in driveability or anything like that compared to a 4dr, it's just got 2 less doors.  You will likely find that the doors sag, especially the driver's side, because they are so long and heavy.  

I kept the rear seat folded down for maximum cargo space and made a cargo net to separate the front seat from the back to avoid having a heavy toolbox flying through the front in the event of an accident.  

Thank you! How did the ride quality in it compare to the ride quality of your MJs? I would assume the front seems bigger because of the bigger doors, but :dunno:

A main reason I want one is because something like this one would look so good next to my blue MJ.

91107041990516.jpg.1630fb6dead93847086e7a6d06578f14.jpg

3 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Thank you! How did the ride quality in it compare to the ride quality of your MJs? I would assume the front seems bigger because of the bigger doors, but :dunno:

Ride quality is hard to compare, since I went from very sagged springs to a lift in the XJ and my MJ springs have all been in decent shape before I modified them.  Overall though I think they feel fairly similar.  The XJ is much nicer in parking lots and such though.  Being smaller I feel like I can fit it anywhere.    

And yes, the long doors put the B-pillar behind you so you have a window next to you instead of a pillar, which helps a lot with the space, it's also nice to put your arm on the window sill and not be against the door frame.  I also felt like the dash was further away but that is compared to a 97+ swap MJ, I haven't owned a 97+ 4dr XJ so I can't compare the dash distance difference between an 97+ MJ/XJ so maybe that's skewed?

6 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

Ride quality is hard to compare, since I went from very sagged springs to a lift in the XJ and my MJ springs have all been in decent shape before I modified them.  Overall though I think they feel fairly similar.  The XJ is much nicer in parking lots and such though.  Being smaller I feel like I can fit it anywhere.    

And yes, the long doors put the B-pillar behind you so you have a window next to you instead of a pillar, which helps a lot with the space, it's also nice to put your arm on the window sill and not be against the door frame.  I also felt like the dash was further away but that is compared to a 97+ swap MJ, I haven't owned a 97+ 4dr XJ so I can't compare the dash distance difference between an 97+ MJ/XJ so maybe that's skewed?

Ok. Thank you! 

How tall are you? My subjective experience from sitting in XJs is that the seats go back much further in the XJ than in the MJ (you're limited by the back of the seat smacking into the back of the cab in the MJ). Other than that, I have nothing to add to this.

A nice '91 XJ Sport in Dark Silver Metallic with red stripes and spare tire carrier is an irrational desire of mine.

I've owned an 89 XJ Wagoneer, 2000 XJ, and now a 91 XJ, all 4 door.  I've rode in a couple 2 drs but never driven one.  But I did own a K5 Blazer for over 32 years, which in my opinion is kind of the same thing- really cool, especially for a young single guy, but not very practical for hauling around more then two people.  But, my experience with 4 door XJs tells me that they aren't the best platform for hauling 4 adults around either.  On a longer trip, it feels crowded, and inside cargo space for 4 adults is limited.  

I owned a Chevy K20 pickup before getting the Blazer, and loved the added interior space.  If you like your MJ, I think you'll like a 2dr XJ for the same reasons.

32 minutes ago, Minuit said:

How tall are you? My subjective experience from sitting in XJs is that the seats go back much further in the XJ than in the MJ (you're limited by the back of the seat smacking into the back of the cab in the MJ). Other than that, I have nothing to add to this.

A nice '91 XJ Sport in Dark Silver Metallic with red stripes and spare tire carrier is an irrational desire of mine.

I'm 5'11" and 120lbs. Pretty small. Thank you!

21 minutes ago, schardein said:

I've owned an 89 XJ Wagoneer, 2000 XJ, and now a 91 XJ, all 4 door.  I've rode in a couple 2 drs but never driven one.  But I did own a K5 Blazer for over 32 years, which in my opinion is kind of the same thing- really cool, especially for a young single guy, but not very practical for hauling around more then two people.  But, my experience with 4 door XJs tells me that they aren't the best platform for hauling 4 adults around either.  On a longer trip, it feels crowded, and inside cargo space for 4 adults is limited.  

I owned a Chevy K20 pickup before getting the Blazer, and loved the added interior space.  If you like your MJ, I think you'll like a 2dr XJ for the same reasons.

Ok, thanks!

The XJ driver space is definitely at an advantage because the seat doesn’t smash into the cab wall before you can get it all the way back. I’ve folded down the seats on a two-door and got an entire brush guard in and still shut the hatch. Without the seats folded cargo space isn’t ideal, but it’s still better than my housemate’s Juke... not saying much there though, the juke is tiny.

I’ve sat in the back of a two-door for a couple hours with two other adults. I also once road a few miles home from the bar with five adults in the back seat. Getting in and out is a bit awkward but only an issue while you’re doing it.

As far as ride goes, the springs are softer than an MJ so it’s not super noticeable that there’s a difference in wheelbase, especially against a short bed MJ, until you climb a significant obstacle. Or hammer the gas, because the front end feels like it lifts a lot more with the rear dropping further and less of a torque arm fighting the lift. Like most vehicles from the ‘90’s the springs will likely be shagged out when you first pick it up, and blown rear shocks will make it seem extra tippy front/back. Good news though is there are a LOT more rear spring and shock options for an XJ.

37 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

The XJ driver space is definitely at an advantage because the seat doesn’t smash into the cab wall before you can get it all the way back. I’ve folded down the seats on a two-door and got an entire brush guard in and still shut the hatch. Without the seats folded cargo space isn’t ideal, but it’s still better than my housemate’s Juke... not saying much there though, the juke is tiny.

I’ve sat in the back of a two-door for a couple hours with two other adults. I also once road a few miles home from the bar with five adults in the back seat. Getting in and out is a bit awkward but only an issue while you’re doing it.

As far as ride goes, the springs are softer than an MJ so it’s not super noticeable that there’s a difference in wheelbase, especially against a short bed MJ, until you climb a significant obstacle. Or hammer the gas, because the front end feels like it lifts a lot more with the rear dropping further and less of a torque arm fighting the lift. Like most vehicles from the ‘90’s the springs will likely be shagged out when you first pick it up, and blown rear shocks will make it seem extra tippy front/back. Good news though is there are a LOT more rear spring and shock options for an XJ.

That seems like a very impressive amount of rear space. The only thing this would really haul would be my gun and golf clubs before my MJ gets out of storage, so it wouldn't haul anything crazy. Thanks for the input!

Except for looks and access to the back seat, the difference between a 2dr, or 4dr XJ is negligible in everything you asked about. 

The difference between an XJ and an MJ (I would guess) might vary by the wheel base, but that too was negligible to me.

I've had two 2 door XJ's (94/99), several 4 doors, and both long and short wheel base MJ's in 2wd and 4wd. 

Only my current XJ has had any kind of lift and quite honestly, I drive/drove them all like cars.   Buy one of each. Be happy.  :L:

My x-wife got my 94 Cherokee Chief (I got the payments) and an idiot in an F150 totaled my 99.  :fistshake1:

2dr.jpg

2 hours ago, NHMJXJ said:

Except for looks and access to the back seat, the difference between a 2dr, or 4dr XJ is negligible in everything you asked about. 

The difference between an XJ and an MJ (I would guess) might vary by the wheel base, but that too was negligible to me.

I've had two 2 door XJ's (94/99), several 4 doors, and both long and short wheel base MJ's in 2wd and 4wd. 

Only my current XJ has had any kind of lift and quite honestly, I drive/drove them all like cars.   Buy one of each. Be happy.  :L:

My x-wife got my 94 Cherokee Chief (I got the payments) and an idiot in an F150 totaled my 99.  :fistshake1:

2dr.jpg

Ok. I’m glad you’ve owned several of each, it makes my research easier. Thank you!

I've owned a 4 dr. and two 2 drs.   I bought a 1990 XJ Laredo new at the end of 1989 and drove it for 5 years.   I loved it as my daily driver and also went on many camping and ski trips with it.   To this day, my Brother who is a car although not Jeep guy, still reminds me of the times he had to get into the back seat and how hard it was.   He was about 5'9" & 170 lb. at the time.   

I bought a 1995 2 dr. Sport in 2010.   It was rough and more of a project car (new floors, cargo area floor, 2"x6" sliders, mechanical repairs, etc.).   I replaced it in 2017 with my current 2 dr. 1989 Limited.  It's complete, very original and runs great.   It has a 2" lift and 245/75/16 Duratrac tires.   I drive it year round and tow both my tear drop and off road trailers with it.   The cargo area is the same as a 4 dr. and I can't say that they drive any differently.

My XJ and MJ Eliminator 2WD are quite different.   The MJ is almost all original and has 235/16/15 Cooper AT tires.   The XJ is heavier (500 lbs.?) and although it's noticeable, it's not bad at all.   I wanted to convert my MJ to 4WD but it's so light and fun to whip around in I decided not to.   I have 4WD alternatives - XJ, TJ & LJ.   

My one regret with the XJ 2 dr. is that it's not as suitable for camping/overlanding.   I have the back seat out of my 2 dr. and would do the same with a 4 dr. BUT I sure would like the easier "lean in and reach" access of a pair of rear doors.  It's possible with a 2 dr. but not nearly as easy.  I have to pack my camping equipment accordingly.   

Here's my current XJ ...

1421404767_21-01-084.JPG.4a5ce3a9a6e55ebb82afdfad003e59f1.JPG

716690376_20-07-068.JPG.b1a7697ff11a7deadc39079c3efef5d0.JPG

6 hours ago, Sir Sam said:

A 2 door XJ is just a little less useable than a 4 door XJ. 

those long heavy doors sag, and those long doors are harder to open wide in parking lots. 

You bring up a good point on opening the door in a parking lot. Thank you!

5 hours ago, PCO6 said:

I've owned a 4 dr. and two 2 drs.   I bought a 1990 XJ Laredo new at the end of 1989 and drove it for 5 years.   I loved it as my daily driver and also went on many camping and ski trips with it.   To this day, my Brother who is a car although not Jeep guy, still reminds me of the times he had to get into the back seat and how hard it was.   He was about 5'9" & 170 lb. at the time.   

I bought a 1995 2 dr. Sport in 2010.   It was rough and more of a project car (new floors, cargo area floor, 2"x6" sliders, mechanical repairs, etc.).   I replaced it in 2017 with my current 2 dr. 1989 Limited.  It's complete, very original and runs great.   It has a 2" lift and 245/75/16 Duratrac tires.   I drive it year round and tow both my tear drop and off road trailers with it.   The cargo area is the same as a 4 dr. and I can't say that they drive any differently.

My XJ and MJ Eliminator 2WD are quite different.   The MJ is almost all original and has 235/16/15 Cooper AT tires.   The XJ is heavier (500 lbs.?) and although it's noticeable, it's not bad at all.   I wanted to convert my MJ to 4WD but it's so light and fun to whip around in I decided not to.   I have 4WD alternatives - XJ, TJ & LJ.   

My one regret with the XJ 2 dr. is that it's not as suitable for camping/overlanding.   I have the back seat out of my 2 dr. and would do the same with a 4 dr. BUT I sure would like the easier "lean in and reach" access of a pair of rear doors.  It's possible with a 2 dr. but not nearly as easy.  I have to pack my camping equipment accordingly.   

Here's my current XJ ...

1421404767_21-01-084.JPG.4a5ce3a9a6e55ebb82afdfad003e59f1.JPG

716690376_20-07-068.JPG.b1a7697ff11a7deadc39079c3efef5d0.JPG

Very nice! Thanks for the input!

5 hours ago, PCO6 said:

Here's an internet pic (not me) that shows the difference between a 2 dr. and a 4 dr.   It's just under 9". 

IMG00017.jpg.7a8c995c758667b84ffacc45bd749197.jpg

That is way bigger than I thought it was. 

I like the look of the 2 doors, but if I'm going for another XJ, it would be a 4 door. 

One thing to keep in mind, I personally hate how 2 door length doors swing back at you when you're parking uphill. I've driven some cars that will straight knock me over, and I'm a pretty big dude. 

52 minutes ago, scguy said:

I like the look of the 2 doors, but if I'm going for another XJ, it would be a 4 door. 

One thing to keep in mind, I personally hate how 2 door length doors swing back at you when you're parking uphill. I've driven some cars that will straight knock me over, and I'm a pretty big dude. 

Thanks! Very rarely would mine be parked on a hill. It would pretty much go from my house, to school, then to work, and back home. I’m not opposed to a 4 door, but like you, I prefer a 2 door.