which steering wheel puller do you own?

I don't remember the name of ours off of the top of my head. I really like the idea of this thread though Pete, do you think we should create a couple of threads for similar tools? (torque wrenches, battery impacts, sawzalls, etc.)

4 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

My hands. Never had to use a puller since my wheel comes off easily but not easily to where I need a puller. 

That's a little concerning TBH. If you have another steering wheel, you may want to try that on your column. From my understanding, the wheel is supposed to go on a little hard and not come off easily. 

I can get a pic of mine later.  

You aren't going to get a steering wheel off a junkyard vehicle without a puller.  At least I've never had it happen.  If a steering wheel has been off and on multiple times, it might get loose enough to come off by hand.  I had a Chevy like that.  Not an issue, splines were still good and the nut held it on.  If the nut has been on and off multiple times, a little loctite might be a good idea.  Most FSMs will say replace the nut every time, like a pinion nut.

10 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

That's a little concerning TBH. If you have another steering wheel, you may want to try that on your column. From my understanding, the wheel is supposed to go on a little hard and not come off easily. 

Ive never had any good luck with getting the wheel on tightly. Way back if you remember my thread about the steering wheel nut sizes, my threads were jacked up on the column and so the nut never went on tightly and I thought that because the nut and threads were messed up were causing that issue. So I got a tap and dye set to rethread the threads on the column to an actual Jeep steering wheel nut and it went on tightly and the steering wheel is on there but it still can be removed by hand with some force. As long as the nut holds the steering wheel in place and doesn’t wobble it around like it did with the old nut, I say it’s good. 

I have a couple of the generic pullers you get at your favorite auto parts store.  Works with harmonic balancers too.  Same with the lock plate removal tool.  Just the one in the tool aisle of the parts store.

1 hour ago, 89 MJ said:

I don't remember the name of ours off of the top of my head. I really like the idea of this thread though Pete, do you think we should create a couple of threads for similar tools? (torque wrenches, battery impacts, sawzalls, etc.)

don't see why not.  maybe you could start a new one each week. :L: 

Been a long time and don't think I could ever find the two that I had. But the best one of the two was the one that someone made in metal shop (high school). Somewhat involved but kind of a simple project, if you got access to the machine tools on hand.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7927A-Steering-Remover-Compressor/dp/B000XSCEMQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=otc+steering+column&qid=1610653982&s=automotive&sr=1-3

This one does everything on the Saginaw columns including pulling the pivot pins. Doesn't fall apart on you like the cheap ones either. HIGHLY recommended. One of my favorite "special" tools since it makes it so damn easy.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:00 AM, Pete M said:

I see there's a lot of variety of cheap kits out there. :dunno:  wondering what works well and what woesn't.  I mean doesn't.

I've finally had to replace mine after like 10 years but it's because I tried using my 1/2 dewalt 20 volt max xr impact on it in a raging lazy hury:banana:.  It was really an experiment since one of the cheap bolts finally started to strip and another was bent bad. The first one lasted over 5 years. $15.99 I guess now without a coupon. Mine was replaced for free.20210115_182811.jpg.69d6ecd50afc54f3217cbfb50dbbfbf9.jpg