Let's talk fuel mileage

My 1994 2Dr Cherokee 4wd 31" tires AX-15 got 13-15mpg before I sold it in 2012

1989 2WD Comanche 215-70-15  tires AX-15 4.0L 3.55 gears got 18-21 before I sold it in 2015

1989 2WD Comanche 235-75-15 AW4 4.0L gets 13-14mpg mostly city. However, I am sure this one needs a tune-up 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

https://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/comanche/1992/glaser06/429321

Averaging 16.9mpg. Running 31" ATs with 3.07 stock gearing and the AX-15. Do have a camper shell though....that probably isn't helping things.  Last 2 months have been 100% on the highway cruising at 70-75 mph. (150 miles round trip to work with 72 miles of interstate each way)

On 10/8/2020 at 10:44 PM, fiatslug87 said:

Well, here's what I have from about 2 years after purchase to this year (from 37,000 to 260,000 miles), probably 98% of all fill-ups.

CMNCHE1: 1990, 4.0L, AX-15, 2WD, 3.07 gears, 235/75/15 tires.

From first day of purchase (from 190,000 to 245,000 miles)

CMNCHE2: 1989, 4.0L, AW4, 2WD, 3.56 gears, 235/75/15 tires.

MJMileage.jpg

What are you using to track mileage? I see you're 2WD but hitting 22+ mpg seems crazy unless it was mostly a slow cruise (35-55 mph) for a full tank.

• 8 months later...

Update:
Right now, I’m averaging ~16 mpg with 4 hole injectors and the new motor. It seems to me that there is too much fuel and not enough air sometimes, so I am looking at getting a bored throttle body in the future. 

27 minutes ago, cruiser54 said:

Use one of these to save gas.

Vac gauge.jpg

I’m not really worried about saving gas in this truck, even for how I drive it, it gets good mileage. 

On my previous post, that is 2wd for the MJ. I have two XJs. One of 32's and geared 4.10. Roughly 17.5 mpg, 4wd. I think the header is cracked, an auto. The other is 31's and 3.73, auto. I had a mixture of 17.4 to 18.3. The exhuast manifold was probably leaking. I replaced it with a header this past weekend. Still, need a tail pipe. 

On 7/6/2021 at 7:25 AM, cruiser54 said:

I know. 

They're no fun to drive for me if I can't step on it a fair amount of time. 

But, drive with a vacuum gauge and see how REALLY boring it can be. 

the 4.0 has a lot of options, it can be tuned for power, torque or economiy...

I got 19 solid mpg from the 'manche on 31s on a regular 50 mi commute when I used to daily it, and a/c use during summer. Got 20 in the winter, experimented with premium fuel, made zero difference. The math was done from every fill-up during 12 months, no lead-foot, hippie driver...

I swapped in a Volvo electric radiator fan in lieu of the clutch driven unit which may have contributed to fuel economy.

On 7/8/2021 at 7:30 AM, zomeizter said:

I got 19 solid mpg from the 'manche on 31s on a regular 50 mi commute when I used to daily it, and a/c use during summer. Got 20 in the winter, experimented with premium fuel, made zero difference. The math was done from every fill-up during 12 months, no lead-foot, hippie driver...

I swapped in a Volvo electric radiator fan in lieu of the clutch driven unit which may have contributed to fuel economy.

Damn, not bad for the little GM V6. My Fiero had a 2.8L in it and I would regularly pull 28-30 mpg out of it. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, omega_rugal said:

not much, lift and big tires is a bad combo for mpgs.... swap a v8

I have 32" tires and a 3.5 inch lift.   I get about 16mph in town, and about 18-19 on the highway if I keep it at 65mph or less.

However, I also have the later 4.0 with the full OBD-II control system and the last head redesign.  However, when I compare it to the older XJ's I had, they really didn't do THAT much worse--maybe 1pmg

12 hours ago, AZJeff said:

I have 32" tires and a 3.5 inch lift.   I get about 16mph in town, and about 18-19 on the highway if I keep it at 65mph or less.

However, I also have the later 4.0 with the full OBD-II control system and the last head redesign.  However, when I compare it to the older XJ's I had, they really didn't do THAT much worse--maybe 1pmg

when someone say how do i increase my mpgs i assume they already tuned everything and are runinng stock but if we are to help then

- how much extra stuff is you MJ carrying?

- is your MJ as aerodinamic as a brick?

- dragging brakes? which tires?

- is your tranny healthy? does it shift properly? slippage?

12 hours ago, omega_rugal said:

when someone say how do i increase my mpgs i assume they already tuned everything and are runinng stock but if we are to help then

- how much extra stuff is you MJ carrying?

- is your MJ as aerodinamic as a brick?

- dragging brakes? which tires?

- is your tranny healthy? does it shift properly? slippage?

Good point.  Any MJ getting down under ten mpg has some significant issues

• 2 weeks later...

Last trip with my MJ, was about 800 miles. Fully loaded bed, avg speed of 75mph, was 18.5mpg
Current spec, 88, 4.0 renix, 5 spd, 3.73 gears, 32s, 3 ish inch lift.
Best I've gotten was 26, so far.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

86 with the 2.8 with the original carb, AX-5, 3.55's, 235/75r15s, lifted about and inch front and rear. 

3200 mile road trip to Colorado from North Carolina with a camper top, sleeping platform, and all the necessities for 11 days I managed to average 15mpg.

On 8/13/2021 at 2:43 PM, Pmcb said:

I am only getting 11-12 mpg, highway driving.  91, 4L, automatic.  1.5" lift, 31" tires.  High flow air filter.  What can I do to increase mileage?

has your speedometer gear been changed out to accommodate the bigger tire diameter? 

No I did not change the speedo at all, it reads 4 mph lower at speeds about 50.  I did change plugs, wires, cat and rotor and on the highway keeping it below 65 I got 18mpg on first tank.  I am checking city driving now.