91 is when they got Chrysler OBD1. The early ones used Renix obd1 with an exemption for the check engine light and no dtc’s. They did have a double connector under the hood. There was a special scan tool that would do specific tests and then give a fault code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, jeeptec1 said:

91 is when they got Chrysler OBD1. The early ones used Renix obd1 with an exemption for the check engine light and no dtc’s. They did have a double connector under the hood. There was a special scan tool that would do specific tests and then give a fault code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright so a basic scanner isnt going to do my truck then.

Alright so a basic scanner isnt going to do my truck then.

I don’t know what year your truck is but most likely no. The generic scanners they sell at the parts store are for obd2. That came in 96. You can find some with the adapters for some obd1. I have never found Renix Jeep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, jeeptec1 said:

I don’t know what year your truck is but most likely no. The generic scanners they sell at the parts store are for obd2. That came in 96. You can find some with the adapters for some obd1. I have never found Renix Jeep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mines an 87

You need a DRB (Diagnostic Readout Box) scanner with the right adapters, Snap-On also made one that would read the signals.

No codes are ever stored, everything is real-time. If you get one of NickInTime's REMs (RENIX Engine Monitor) that gives you all the info you need. https://nickintimedesign.com/

Edited by fiatslug87
Edit: Snap-On MT2500 with correct cartridges

23 minutes ago, 1989commanche said:

I actually have the MT-2500 scanner in a drawer from years ago but I don’t have the adapter. Anyone have one laying around collecting dust?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-JEEP-1-Adapter-for-MT2500-Scan-Tool-P-N-MT2500-49-FREE-SHIPPING/143671225011?epid=1718881744&hash=item217378eab3:g:F38AAOSwgs1fJdbM

Unless you have a 91 or 92; that one's CHRY-1 for the engine and CHRY-2 for the transmission (if auto)

From my website:

A GREAT STEP FOR RENIX OWNERS

Thanks Nick for developing the REM.

Our trusty old Renix systems will carry on even longer now. For the price of one or two sensors that didn’t need replacing, this tool pays for itself. See it here:  http://nickintimedesign.wordpress.com/

I’ve had the factory DRB tool for years, but yours is actually easier to use and has a long lead on it so monitoring can be done from the driver’s seat. Factory one couldn’t do that.

I appreciate your ongoing contributions to the Renix Jeep community. Keep up the good work.

Pete

On 8/6/2020 at 6:17 AM, Minuit said:

I ordered this one. Came in today. Looks like it has never been used. I’ll try it out this weekend if I can get around to it. I’m just hoping I have the right cartridge to get readings.