New fuel sender

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

I've done it at the side of the road. As long as you're around 1/3 tank or less you'll be fine, no need to drop it. I didn't pull the driveshaft but I can see how it might improve access. 

This. Be ready for some serious fumes if you pull the sender with gas still in the tank. The last time I pulled the sender in my '91 I had roughly 1/4 tank and I had to give it a while to air out under the truck before I could breathe.

On 9/14/2019 at 9:42 PM, Minuit said:

This. Be ready for some serious fumes if you pull the sender with gas still in the tank. The last time I pulled the sender in my '91 I had roughly 1/4 tank and I had to give it a while to air out under the truck before I could breathe.

I suppose it would not be a bad idea to do it outside, maybe even using a floor dryer blower while I'm under there.  

Thanks.

7 hours ago, coolwind57 said:

I suppose it would not be a bad idea to do it outside, maybe even using a floor dryer blower while I'm under there.  

Or treat it like a timed challenge event. Can you replace it while holding your breath before you pass out? 

Seriously though, a fan blowing under there would be a good idea.

Well so far, I'm disappointed in my new fuel pump/sender from MTS. 

At the bottom of the pump, there is a thick rubber piece.  In fact, it was loose inside the shipping box when my parcel arrived.  It does neither fit well onto the lower pump body, nor does it secure into the lower mount of the sender unit.  I don't get it.  The stock pump has both a upper and lower mount for the pump.  BOth ends have a rubber sleeve and this makes the old pump fit securely onto the unit.  

With this one only having a lower mount, the pump just basically just dangles and because the rubber piece that's intended for the lower mounting bracket secures neither to the pump or the mount well, it just dangles on there, not really doing anything.    I'm half afraid that it'll separate from the assembly and end up inside my tank no longer attached to anything.

I carefully went ahead and installed this unit with apprehension, and my truck fired up but the sender is not working....my fuel gauge shows zero when I have 1/3 of a tank full.   I don't have my multi-meter here at home.  

And like at least one other guy reported, the gasket ring does not fit.  I had to use my old one.

I pretty upset that I spend this much time for nothing.    

At least on the HO sender, I recall an adjustment on one of the pump support ends to make the pump fit tightly. One of the brackets unscrews and allows you to move the bracket up and down. Does that sender have any adjustment in how the pump mounts?

Just now, Minuit said:

At least on the HO sender, I recall an adjustment on one of the pump support ends to make the pump fit tightly. One of the brackets unscrews and allows you to move the bracket up and down. Does that sender have any adjustment in how the pump mounts?

No there's just a flat metal ring down there that surrounds the intake nozzle of the pump.  There's no positive secure point at all.  

4 minutes ago, Minuit said:

The old assembly has this.  It is the top one that has screws that allow for pump removal and adjustment, I assume.  This new one has no top secure point.

I spoke with Jeremy this morning about my issues with the new fuel sender/pump.  He said that they'd essentially reverse engineered from a 1987 unit that they'd gotten from Florida.  Their new units are nearly exact duplicates from it.  I suppose the Florida unit was different from mine then because my has two, very secure attachment points for the pump, with two rubber isolators that are secured onto the pump body.  

As for the sender not registering on my fuel level gauge (aka, not working), the only thing he could come up with is that they use some sort of spray preservative and that perhaps the gasoline didn't have enough time (or a high enough level in the tank) to dissolve it so that the sender could begin to send the signal to the fuel level gauge.  I suppose that could happen.  Anyhow, I didn't have my multimeter at the house to check ohms and I'll try do get that done before I pack this thing up and send it back to them.  Thankfully, he is willing to honor the return.

BTW, I forgot to mention to Jeremy about the tank ring not fitting the tank as others have also found to be the case.

I was excited about this new product and I feel very disappointed that it did not meet expectations.  Too bad because MTS seems to be a really cool company that's not afraid to take on this kind of stuff.  

Shipped it back today and I'll await to see if the refund goes smoothly.  I did get a chance to multimeter the float arm to check for resistance throughout its range.  It gave me varying degrees of ohms as I lifted the arm, like it was suppose to.  I measured resistance at the lever joint and at the connector.  The float arm length difference between theirs and the stock assembly was discussed earlier and you can see that they're not identical.  Perhaps this is why I was not getting a gauge reading when I had a quarter tank of fuel.  Regardless, not registering a 1/4 tank is not acceptable to me.  

I suppose I'll have to live with my epoxy'd original sending unit.  The white marine epoxy used to seal the leaky metal tubes coming out of it has lasted almost a year so far.  Maybe one day I'll send my fuel sending unit out to Tristarr like Limeyjeeper did.    

I would like to see if 87 and below MJs used MTS' style of flimsy sending unit.  But there is most certainly something goofy going on with their choice of float arm length as it appears to be inappropriate for my 23.5 gallon tank. 

• 6 months later...

there's always the chance that changes were made to the design over time that using a single part as your basis for manufacturing could miss.   :(   lots of other stuff was changed between 87 and 88.

I don't have my parts manual with me to check part numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I've had this in for about a year and am overall pleased. Overall it works and the gauge sender is just a little weird. The first 1/2 half drops quick and the second half drops slower. The last 1/4 tank send like 1/3 to 1/2 the tank. It acts very similar to my 2005 WK's gauge. 

IMG_20200716_092922085.jpg.e44b3aa19bd16e023e00d0fb67a8352e.jpg

This is where it was when I got fuel yesterday. It took 14.6 gallons to fill it. 

I know this is a little off topic, but i have a 1987 Jeep Comanche 4x4 short bed 4.0L.. guessing it has a 18 gal tank (will validate tomorrow) but i am at wits end with trying to find a fuel sending unit .. I did find a delphi fuel pump, but after receiving it, it looks too short to fit in the hanger,, (only thing i have to compare to is the 2 extra fuel pumps and sending units that came with the truck (1 used  and no good and 1 new but missing top cap to hold pump down, but after running the numbers they say they are for a 1990 Jeep Cherokee. The delphi pump i purchased says it is for both years and vehicles but it looks to short and too small in diameter. Does anyone here know where I can purchase a GOOD fuel pump and sending unit assy for an 18 gal tank? Also the dash has been upgraded to a 1990 Jeep Cherokee cluster full gages.. Any help with this would be greatly apprecaited.