What are you listening to?

jdog

I am by no means a full blown Country music fan, but Ive recently discovered Chris Stapleton. He has an amazing natural talent voice, and is a no frills, genuine singer songwriter. His wife Morgane who sings backup for him is amazing in her own right. Here is one with her on lead and him as backup. YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been thinking about the whole "fav album" thing and have come to realize that no band that I've discovered in the last 20 years is anywhere on the list.  :(  It's not a lack of good songs all piled together, but rather it's a combination of being too poor to buy a ton of CDs and the new platforms like Spotify where it's pretty much always on shuffle.  So here are some from back in the day I guess.  I'll try to avoid compilation albums (Live albums still count)

anything by Collective Soul

Led Zep 1-4

most of the Beatles

AC/DC - Live

Santana - Supernatural

Beastie Boys - License to ill

Metallica - S&M and Load/Reload

Stone Temple Pilots - Core

The Essential Canadian Brass

Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue

Bob Seger - Live (whichever one was recorded in Detroit)

Eric Clapton - From the cradle

The Blues Brothers soundtrack

Doors - LA woman

Garbage - Absolute Garbage

Question 1: Primarily 70's and 80's rock / metal.

Question 2: The Wall and Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (I know...the Beatles aren't "quite" either 70's or rock/metal...but it's a good album).

On 8/14/2019 at 1:42 PM, dasbulliwagen said:

I am by no means a full blown Country music fan, but Ive recently discovered Chris Stapleton. He has an amazing natural talent voice, and is a no frills, genuine singer songwriter. His wife Morgane who sings backup for him is amazing in her own right. Here is one with her on lead and him as backup. YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE

It's always nice to find those hidden gems, enjoyed this and will have to look into more by them.

On 8/14/2019 at 4:55 PM, Pete M said:

I've been thinking about the whole "fav album" thing and have come to realize that no band that I've discovered in the last 20 years is anywhere on the list.  :(  It's not a lack of good songs all piled together, but rather it's a combination of being too poor to buy a ton of CDs and the new platforms like Spotify where it's pretty much always on shuffle.  So here are some from back in the day I guess.  I'll try to avoid compilation albums (Live albums still count)

anything by Collective Soul

Led Zep 1-4

most of the Beatles

AC/DC - Live

Santana - Supernatural

Beastie Boys - License to ill

Metallica - S&M and Load/Reload

Stone Temple Pilots - Core

The Essential Canadian Brass

Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue

Bob Seger - Live (whichever one was recorded in Detroit)

Eric Clapton - From the cradle

The Blues Brothers soundtrack

Doors - LA woman

Garbage - Absolute Garbage

thats a lot of albums, also you do realize you can turn shuffle off on spotify right? "most of the Beatles" early or later years?

On 8/14/2019 at 8:44 PM, SVPete said:

Question 1: Primarily 70's and 80's rock / metal.

Question 2: The Wall and Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (I know...the Beatles aren't "quite" either 70's or rock/metal...but it's a good album).

both really good albums, I always find my stereo has been turned up when listening to the wall, seems like every song it goes up a notch.

On 8/12/2019 at 12:46 PM, coolwind57 said:

I'm an 80s rock kind of guy.  Hairbands and some 80s pop. 

Go go iTunes or Spotify and type in "Hush Harbor".  This is my band and we have a few tunes there.  We're Christian rock. 

I've recently been getting into groovy, smooth jazz stuff like Sade when I'm in a chill-out mood.   For high energy hard rock, I go with Black Label Society--my go-to metal for many years now. 

thats cool your in a band, I listened to the songs and they are not bad are you guys just playing local or just in the church? looked up BLS, didn't realize I've heard them before and enjoyed them, there usually in a Spotify mix which would explain why i wasn't sure who they were.

Just now, jdog said:

that's a lot of albums, also you do realize you can turn shuffle off on spotify right? "most of the Beatles" early or later years?

yup, I just never seem to do that.  :dunno:  I've got a lot of playlists, but I tend to hit shuffle on 3 of them routinely; one that's for when my folks are around (blues/rock heavy) with 800 songs, one for when they aren't (metal/alternative/90s/other) with 600 songs, and my blues-ish playlist (blues, blues-y rock, blues-y country, blues-y classical, blues-y whatever) with its over 6k songs. :D  

all years.  :D  

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

yup, I just never seem to do that.  :dunno:  I've got a lot of playlists, but I tend to hit shuffle on 3 of them routinely; one that's for when my folks are around (blues/rock heavy) with 800 songs, one for when they aren't (metal/alternative/90s/other) with 600 songs, and my blues-ish playlist (blues, blues-y rock, blues-y country, blues-y classical, blues-y whatever) with its over 6k songs. :D  

all years.  :D  

funny how we do that for our folks, I've got one that's country for my dad, one that's instrumental for background music at work and rock/metal for intense jobs for either home or work. Kinda why I asked to see what else was out there and add more to the playlists.

Just the Live, lately.

The Red Devils

King King

Anders Osborne

Live at Tipitina's

Gary Clark Jr.

Gary Clark Jr. Live

Van Morrison

It's Too Late To Stop Now

Muddy Waters

Live at Mr. Kelly's

The Boneshakers

Put Some Booty On It - Vols. I and II

Amos Lee

Live from the Artist's Den

Indigenous

Live at Pachederm

Tab Benoit

Live : Swampland Jam

John Mayer

Where The Light Is - Live in LA

Storyville

Live at Antone's

Jimmie Vaughan Trio

Live at C-Boys (Feat, Mike Flanigin and Frosty Smith)

youngfred

10 hours ago, jdog said:

thats cool your in a band, I listened to the songs and they are not bad are you guys just playing local or just in the church? looked up BLS, didn't realize I've heard them before and enjoyed them, there usually in a Spotify mix which would explain why i wasn't sure who they were.

We're not a praise or church band.  We perform in the tri-state region, mostly big festivals and special music events.  We'd even done weddings.  www.rockonwaterfestival.com is the next big one we're doing here in a couple of weeks and it's my favorite of the year.  Likely to have between 6000-10,000 attendees.  Headliner there this year is Unspoken.  We've got some of those songs on rotation in areas of Southern Indiana, Kentucky and even Chicago, IL.  www.hushharborband.com

Yes, BLS.  I've been to several concerts and Zakk Wylde and his crew really know how to put on a great show for THE MOST dedicated fan base I'd ever seen.  An older album, "Hangover Music" is probably one of my favorites, along with "Mafia."  Check those out.  He did a pre-BLS album with a group he called "Pride and Glory".  You gotta check that one out.  I can't believe that the stuff on there isn't well known by metal fans.

I'm a STING fan too.  Have all his stuff.  He's my favorite song-writer.  

• 5 months later...

frog leap is fantastic. :D  I played this tune at holloween each time a group of older kids came up.  the intro sounds cool and spooky... but then the real song drops.  nothing scary than that song stuck in your head.  they thought it was hilarious!  :laugh:  oh, and I answered the door in a giant shark's head.  (for little kids I played the regular song)