They charged you how much for that?!

krustyballer16

So my girlfriend has a 2015 Chevy equinox...

On Star called her a few weeks ago and told her they show some kind of a problem with the ABS on her car. (She isnt a paying on star subscriber, so I'm not sure how they got this "reading" for this issue)

There were no lights on the dash or any issues while driving, nothing.

But she takes it to the dealer anyways cuz that's what her grandma, who retired from Allison and gets chevy discounts and thats all they've ever had, told her to do.

So she takes It in and the stealership does their thing and tells her it's something in the transmission and itll be $250... neither my girlfriend or her grandma know anything about cars so they tell them to fix it and get it done.

I get home and shows me the itemized bill.

Instant facepalm!

Makes me mad that the dealership took advantage of them like this....

Read the bill....

Has anybody else gotten a worse bill for less?

Amazing what they can get away with!090663e7648c2cd267bfc05e62cd0cbb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

FWIW..........

I told my tale here months ago about a $1400 seat sensor and a $560 air bag control module. 

Over $2K with tax. 

No lube involved. 

I got mine and you got yours. 

Live and learn.........and that's the point, LEARN!

Now I know a lot more about these systems and how they work. 

7 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

I'd go to the dealer and call the manager out.  You're very unlikely to get anything from it but it may teach them a bit of a lesson as well.

No it won't. 

You paid for diagnostic time. Their charge is legit. 

There are ten victims standing in line right behind you..........with their wallets out. 

C0010: Left Front Inlet Solenoid, an ABS code.

... so a service that she isn't subscribed to cold calls her about a problem with the vehicle. The vehicle has no ABS light on and no drivability concerns. So the dealer charges her over 200 bucks to grease the... transmission control module connector on suspicion that the contacts have physical damage due to fretting corrosion on a 4 year old car? :thinking: I have to wonder what evidence led to this diagnosis.

Why not clear the code and tell the customer to come back if an actual problem or ABS light shows up? Guess I'm not dealership material.

This whole thing sounds kinda scammy.

4 hours ago, Minuit said:

... so a service that she isn't subscribed to cold calls her about a problem with the vehicle. The vehicle has no ABS light on and no drivability concerns. So the dealer charges her over 200 bucks to grease the... transmission control module connector on suspicion that the contacts have physical damage due to fretting corrosion on a 4 year old car? :thinking: I have to wonder what evidence led to this diagnosis.

Why not clear the code and tell the customer to come back if an actual problem or ABS light shows up? Guess I'm not dealership material.

Whats sad is i see terminal fretting on vehicles less then a year old, mostly GMs, as far as diagnostics its probably ohms in the circuit. What really sucks is that everything talks to everything, can't tell you how many times I get a vehicle on with a light with some other module being the issue.

5 hours ago, krustyballer16 said:

So my girlfriend has a 2015 Chevy equinox...

On Star called her a few weeks ago and told her they show some kind of a problem with the ABS on her car. (She isnt a paying on star subscriber, so I'm not sure how they got this "reading" for this issue)

There were no lights on the dash or any issues while driving, nothing.

But she takes it to the dealer anyways cuz that's what her grandma, who retired from Allison and gets chevy discounts and thats all they've ever had, told her to do.

So she takes It in and the stealership does their thing and tells her it's something in the transmission and itll be $250... neither my girlfriend or her grandma know anything about cars so they tell them to fix it and get it done.

I get home and shows me the itemized bill.

Instant facepalm!

Makes me mad that the dealership took advantage of them like this....

Read the bill....

Has anybody else gotten a worse bill for less?

Amazing what they can get away with!090663e7648c2cd267bfc05e62cd0cbb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

That sucks, I've seen a few worse then this with mechanics and ladies. had one that charged a older lady $50 for a seat belt adjustment. FYI abs codes are a 2 trip issue, might have set a soft code and not turned the light on, as for the diagnostics, that is a bit excessive and i'm guessing they bought a whole case of dielectric grease for $32.

FYI here's what gm says that code is :Reverse Gear Signal Circuit Not Plausible. If you would like more info PM me.

The image below is very old (and very low res).  It's a scan of a bill I got from a dealership once upon a time.  I hold on to it because it marks the point in my life where I stopped paying other people to service my vehicles and started buying my own tools instead.

YQFT3e4.jpg

FYI -- The throttle body in a '94 e36 is right on top of the engine in plain view.  This took no effort at all. 

14 hours ago, Minuit said:

^^^ This.

There must be some agency in your state that licenses automotive repair facilities. I would file a complaint with that agency. Also, since Chevrolet was directly involved (the cold contact from On Star), I would also file a formal complaint with whatever federal agency has oversight of automotive manufacturers ((FTC?). And have your GF contact her U.S. representative and ask the Congresscritter to also follow up with whatever federal agency regulates car manufacturers.

This is mind blowing. I have read tons of stories where people call managers and even owners and they get refunds. I know that sometimes after getting boned like this it's easy to say to your self oh well but a simple call wouldn't hurt and would worst case scenario piss you off and waste 20 minutes of your time. The positives could be a partial refund or full refund. I would just make the call.