91 Eliminator 83K miles refresh with NOS parts

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 2:56 PM, Red Mistress said:

Tried these Holly Retrobright lights and WoW they are incredible.

Should help the original headlight wiring harness.

Since I installed the Rigid headlights on 01 Cherokee I knew difference of LED but didn’t want spaceships lighting on MJ.

Those look nice, close to OEM except they are like 6000K or something.

What is the beam pattern like? I hate people who put in aftermarket lights that blind everyone in oncoming traffic so that is my top concern, I wouldn't do that.

I was shocked at the difference the upgraded h4 harness did for my Rampage lights on my 92 MJ. I really wasn't expecting it. It literally was the single best upgrade I've ever done on any of my heaps over the years. I bought two more instantly after seeing the results.  https://www.ksuspensionfab.com/store/c3/Jeep_Cherokee_XJ%2FMJ.html#/ 

It looks like they sell way more products now after plugging the link.  I'm curious how much brighter the Holley are and if they could benefit further from the same harness.

It seems like a guy could not worry about upgrading the headlight harness if they put in a pair of Retrobright lights. Do we know the amp/watts draw difference between the two?

I have not done the harness upgrade on my truck because I simply haven't driven it much in the last 3 years but I'm laser focused on getting it done this summer, it will be back on the road.

Holley did their homework on these lights, nice plug n play, good wiring, good plugs & heat sinks.

Beam pattern is wide with nice cutoff at distance.

Before I installed these, I always had bright lights on.  No cars ever flashed lights at me either.

Now I run low beam & haven't been flashed.

Not sure how many amps they draw, threw box's away.  

But most LED's draw way less.

On 4/24/2022 at 8:09 PM, 91Pioneer said:

It seems like a guy could not worry about upgrading the headlight harness if they put in a pair of Retrobright lights. Do we know the amp/watts draw difference between the two?

I have not done the harness upgrade on my truck because I simply haven't driven it much in the last 3 years but I'm laser focused on getting it done this summer, it will be back on the road.

there's no reason to not install the relay harness.  even if you upgrade to LEDs too.  :L:  a relay pulls a LOT less than LED bulbs. 

7 minutes ago, Pete M said:

there's no reason to not install the relay harness.  even if you upgrade to LEDs too.  :L:  a relay pulls a LOT less than LED bulbs. 

I think Red's decision not to is to help keep it as factory as possible. Otherwise yeah, the harness is always a good idea.

I really don't feel that headlight relay is necessary with LED lights.

If I hadn't found these stock looking LED's & kept halogens, the upgraded harness would be good failsafe.

But, would only do like Gjeep does and repurpose a spot in the PDC so it would look correct.

do plan on upgrading the wiring on the electric fan as the late model XJ's e-fan uses more juice.

Nothing is worse than opening the hood of a vehicle and seeing bunch of add on wiring all over the place.

On daughters 01 XJ build I used a Bussman power distribution module (black box near brake booster where air connect is pictured) for all the add on accessories.

F64C0E79-DD05-4C9C-91A8-D8092E705426.jpe

Really unbelievable and privilege to acquire NOS Grey Luggage cloth for my HO Eliminator restoration.

Many thanks to GJeep for parting with these treasures !   :bananagun:

He replaced the vinyl with cloth where seat snubbers rub through, as seen in middle of picture.

I've known lots of passionate Jeep dealers experts thru the years, but none as knowledgeable as GJeep on XJ platform.

6E3034EA-85AE-468C-BFE3-230FD20BBB7F.jpe

• 2 weeks later...

Well like I needed another distraction... but I've been looking since 2006 for a 63-64 Willys Utility Truck to add to collection.  Not many 63-64's built due to SJ Gladiator release in 62.  Of course it had to be RED and have the Tornado overhead cam 230 straight 6.  Much like finding a 91-92 Comanche.

So here's the Comanche's great great grandfather !  Original paint and NO rust !  

I still can't believe found one !

6471006E-417B-461E-BA46-BD3E73785A22.jpe

B1AD45A1-0F68-4D02-8B56-2D578F103AEE.jpe

I've been collecting NOS parts for future Willys Truck for years and have crazy amount of goodies.

Plans are to keep the patina, go thru all the mechanicals, then add Koenig PTO winch & bumper, twin stick PTO on D18 specifically for truck, and rear PTO gearbox and belt roller for powering implements.  

Search "Sweaty Jeeps" to see video's of all the accessories in working action.

I've got 2 types of overdrive's so gotta decide which one. 

The 230 Overhead cam engines made almost double the F134 so factory changed 5:38 gears to 4;10's.

230 steering was also improved, although still Ross box, so I dunno yet if I want go 70mph.

6 levers will be sticking thru floor so be complicated driving !

0A999064-6E04-4166-9598-FFAB466B7018.jpe

• 1 month later...

1600 mile road trip in Comanche last week.

Scored nice rear bumper that looks like it should work with rear PTO gearbox

Stopped by online buddy of 25 years to meet & see his collection of CJ & SJ's and Jeepmobilia.

Most of driving was 75-80 except thru the mountains.

Wife bought antiques and we always go rock mining so had heavy load on way home.

9614C0A4-2EAF-43C3-885A-26AC16F1B7A9.jpe

0D0EEB54-0D0D-41F8-8E7F-031F8590FA89.jpe

83E0DE25-ACDA-404A-8E36-42C202138652.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2022 at 2:10 PM, Red Mistress said:

Really unbelievable and privilege to acquire NOS Grey Luggage cloth for my HO Eliminator restoration.

Many thanks to GJeep for parting with these treasures !   :bananagun:

He replaced the vinyl with cloth where seat snubbers rub through, as seen in middle of picture.

I've known lots of passionate Jeep dealers experts thru the years, but none as knowledgeable as GJeep on XJ platform.

6E3034EA-85AE-468C-BFE3-230FD20BBB7F.jpe

:bowdown:

Broseph.... I just spent the last 2 hours falling down this rabbit hole! Your truck is BEAutiful! I don't know if you have the patience of a God or are just a wizard, but your unmatched skill in rooting out NOS parts is unprecedented and something to be celebrated. Great job!