91 Eliminator 83K miles refresh with NOS parts

Long time member here but haven't posted very much.  I'm a total Jeep nut, my passion drives me to work harder to build collection.

My forum handle "Red Mistress" comes from my wife who made magnetic sign on Scrambler for honeymoon to EJS.  She says I spend more time with Jeeps than her :)

So, from my other posts where I chased 92 Eliminator... I've been looking since 2009 for nice Red 91-92 MJE.

Finally the timing was right and purchased 91 MJE for my Red Jeep collection.

It's a 2 elder owner with 83,813 miles.  Never wrecked and 0 rust, although the original owner did a super cheapie paint job due to clear failures.

Truck is exactly what I was looking for (besides the paint)  SWB, A/C, Auto, 4x4 and exceptional shape.

I plan on doing show quality paint job and accessorizing with Jeep Special Equipment, modifications from OEM will be limited to a hidden winch and enough lift to clear 31 or 32 BFG's on stock Eliminator wheels.  Maybe a MJ D44 if I need to regear & maybe a supercharger if not satisfied with power as these trucks were always know to have racing pedigree.

Obtaining NOS parts will slow this build down as I like to have most parts on hand before tearing a Jeep down.

And have to finish my 16 year old daughter's 01 XJ 2 door.

IMG_5451_zpse3wvhqwv.jpg

IMG_5464_zpsb3moupmh.jpg

IMG_5456_zpsfwnwnvzl.jpg

IMG_5454_zpsvfg7pkuc.jpg

Thank you, it is a nice truck... I'm thrilled about it for sure.

I've bought out several entire old Jeep dealership inventories all over US, and been to dozen major goodies stashes thru the years.

Didn't know the parts peculiar of MJ so left lots of stuff everywhere.  Plan on returning to ones that have 1987+ parts.

From my treasure trove I already had:

IMG_5321_zpssxlawug1.jpg

Picked this up cause had never seen another and thought about putting behind seat of my 67 Gladiator or 87 J20.

IMG_5484_zpsa1yrf7wf.jpg

Truck has ROL foglights, plan on using these for Sport Bar

IMG_5489_zpstb8jqb9t.jpg

But yes the MJ specific items are getting very hard to find or buy. 

I don't like selling spares that I have for my Jeeps or other super rare items, unless I see that parts are going to a good home.  Or they have interesting trade.

You get attached to parts when you have hunted and driven across country to pick them.

So I totally get hoarding parts :)

great finds!!  :bowdown:  such a clean interior! 

most 31s will technically fit a stock 4wd MJ with rubbing on the control arms at full lock.  My thoughts on 31s would be a 2" spacer/shackle lift (just a tiny bump so you can retain all the factory parts up front) but with WJ lower control arms (they have a bend for tire clearance and are better built in every way). 

I'll copy the gun safe info and guess post here.

WJ control arm:  do you get upper and lower?

I have all my Jeeps sitting with level stance, how's the best way to do that?

Truck already sits nose down and I plan to add hidden winch, further adding to front weight.

OME makes a 2" coil.

Argo is fun in the swamps, but ALWAYS needs working on, bet I spend more wrenching time on it than anything.

We've been getting flooded lately in TX and I went to check on duck slough to make sure beavers hadn't clogged up emergency spillway.

maybe start with 1.75" or 2" pucks up front and see how level it is.  the longer shackles only lift the rear like an inch. 

WJ arms are the key upgrade.  uppers can also be used though. 

9 hours ago, Limeyjeeper said:

I have 31's on my Comanche. XJ shackles in the back. ZJ upcountry springs and 3/4" pucks got her level.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

which XJ shackles?

3 hours ago, Limeyjeeper said:

True I used JKS OGS651. They are longer than stock XJ shackles and have different geometry. They lift an MJ around 2"

Curious. In the 10+ years I have owned my MJ and been on CC, I don't remember ever reading or hearing about a shackle that will lift the rear of an MJ 2". Additionally, any XJ shackle on an MJ will be roughly 1/2 of what is advertised for lift on an XJ. Hence, Pete's comment that a standard XJ shackle will actually lower an MJ. These are reported to lift the rear of an XJ 1", so that would only give @ 1/2" to an MJ. 

I don"t disagree with you. All I know is when I put them on with new SD Springs and ZJ up country springs which I believe gave me a 1" lift I had to add spacers to level out the Comanche.

2 minutes ago, Limeyjeeper said:

I don"t disagree with you. All I know is when I put them on with new SD Springs and ZJ up country springs which I believe gave me a 1" lift I had to add spacers to level out the Comanche.

should be easy enough to math it out.  measure the eye to eye on each, subtract to gee the difference, then divide by 2 and you'll get the lift you received. :L: 

Some parts starting to show up:

Pair front bumper guards

Pair tailgate rubbers

4 center caps

outer belt seal 

IMG_5532_zpss0mizsis.jpg

Bought Metalcloak 3.5 for daughter's 01 XJ.  Late fender openings require more lift than 84-96 to run 31".  Also got adjustable rear shackles for rear.

Not sure I want to modify this much on what I consider a collectible MJ. (although it's a short arm, so could always return to stock) 

But do want run 31 or 32.

IMG_4939_zpsibcn20b6.jpg

Metalcloak are the best IMHO, but expensive. Got them on my LJ. Very well made. The Duroflex bushings really do a great job. Having said that I just got a set of control arms from Core 4x4. I have them on my 91 MJ. Good quality and value.

I've got Metalcloak on my LJ also.  The NHV with duroflex is same as factory... no squeaks...no maintenance.

Looked at Core, about same price depending on which tier you get. 

Their trackbar includes a double shear mount, couldn't tell if OEM mount must be removed or must be welded ... and I don't want cut this truck.

I was going borrow my daughters 31" BFG A/T's on Quadratec wheel, while I sent Eliminator wheels for restoration. 

Quadratec wheel has more positive backspacing than stock Jeep Eliminator wheels, so only left 1/8" clearance on inside rear of front fender flare when partial turning .

Liked the look of the 31" but think 32" would be perfect size for me.

IMG_5536_zpsv34svwzy.jpg

Eliminator key fob arrived and like everything Azzy does, it's got nice detail.

IMG_5535_zpslehfwrth.jpg

Just getting back from old stash that I haven't been to in years.

Found a few MJ specific items and stuff for my other Jeeps.

Was gone 7 days so going take me while to recover before I unpack & Monday is going to be tough day at work.

This slider was way up in rotten rafters there was no long ladder... so had to tarzan my way & let it down with rope.

IMG_5574_zpsswesjg8r.jpg

On 6/12/2019 at 8:14 AM, Red Mistress said:

I was going borrow my daughters 31" BFG A/T's on Quadratec wheel, while I sent Eliminator wheels for restoration. 

Quadratec wheel has more positive backspacing than stock Jeep Eliminator wheels, so only left 1/8" clearance on inside rear of front fender flare when partial turning .

Liked the look of the 31" but think 32" would be perfect size for me.

IMG_5536_zpsv34svwzy.jpg

You've mentioned 32's several times, but you also mentioned running stock Eliminator wheels.

Eliminator wheels are 15x7.  There are very few 32x10.5R15 tires on the market. I think you can get super swampers in that size and that's about it.   If you're dead-set on the Eliminator wheels then you will likely have to move to a 32x11.5R15, which will work, but 11.5 is not typically recommended for a 7" rim.  If you're never going to air down, you'll probably be ok but you will have additional clearance issues to deal with due to the wider tire.

My advice would be to get comfortable with 31x10.5R15 on the stock wheel, or start considering some other wheel options in 15x8 or 16x8 with more backspacing.

Humm... yea more to ponder.

I really like the Eliminator wheels, they complete the package look.  

Think American Racing makes a very similar wheel.  Suppose I could get AR’s hub bore machined to accept the black Jeep logo center caps.

I’ve got Metalcloak 3.5” XJ lift laying on floor of shop that’s slated to go on daughter’s 2 door XJ.  Maybe I’d better put it on Comanche to check see what fits.  If too tall for 31 or not tall enough for 33 I can pull it off and do something different.

I’m huge BFG fan so that limits me even more on tire size.

BFG makes 31x10.5xR15 which measures 30.5”

BFG also makes 33x10.5xR15 which measures 32.5”

Look I’m going for is tire size proportional to the truck, with roll bar and lights.

When I mounted 31” I liked the stance, but thought it would look better with slightly larger tire.  

Maybe with lift & 31” I would of liked it better.

I’ve searched & read that need keep front tires tucked in to avoid fender trimming.  Which I won’t cut this truck.  I want everything I do to be reversible, except for roll bar & hidden winch.