Rear fog lights

rylee144

My reverse lights don't work and haven't for awhile. When they did work they weren't bright. This is my current bumper. It is the one that came with it and is stamped Johnny Beck Sales Ocean Springs MS. I am thinking about mounting flush fog lights when I fix the reverse lights. Only thing holding me back is cutting holes in the factory bumper. Thoughts?

Photos of other rear fog lights would be great.

Thanks

20190423_164301.jpg

20190423_164339.jpg

58 minutes ago, rylee144 said:

Looks like my spare tire would prevent that mount though 

You are correct I did remove the spare tire carrier. It was locked up. I welded a flat bar across the x in the frame to mount them.

Yup. Not the factory bumper. It's an old Fey/Westin bumper. Still being repopped under various brand names. It's a universal-fit 1/4-ton bumper.

If Johnny Beck is still around they might get a kick out of seeing it. Some people collect old dealer memorabilia like that too... but there aren't too many who would place much value in that bumper, I don't believe. 

Ya know, looking again at your photo -- your factory backup lights look almost like they've been painted over. They should be clear, and in photos they should appear either as white or as silver (depending on the lighting). Have you tried cleaning them up to see if they can be brighter?

By the way, you could also check the bulbs to see if they're the correct bulbs. They should be #1156.

chances are those backup lenses are just super fogged up. :( 

do you have power going to the reverse bulbs?  power coming into and out of the switch?  those should probably still function so people know you're backing up in a parking lot. :L: 

and I would totally put those into that bumper as aux lights.  :D 

I'd wager you could use heat to bend the head of an old toothbrush and use as a little scrubber.  heck, you could even use toothpaste as a mild abrasive to polish the inside. 

this message is ADA approved :D  

ADA_Seal_of_Acceptance-450x450.png

There appears to me to be an oxidized surface layer over the entire tail light.  There are a variety of products that will clean that up.  Did it to mine and it cleaned up pretty well.  The tooth brush with the same product is a good idea also.  I also used LED replacement bulbs and they are quite bright now.  Not like rear fogs but plenty bright for my uses.  These are no longer available but I'm sure you can find alternatives.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ED35ALY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I took a set of taillights apart by heating the backs with a heat gun.  You have to be careful as the black plastic backs will distort if you get them too hot (don’t ask how I know).  Someone had a post about heating them in an oven but don’t remember who it was.  Once you have them apart you can clean them well, even polish the inside of the back-up lens.  It’s not easy too do as it is not a smooth surface.  I sprayed the inside of the backs with some “chrome” paint to improve reflectivity.

You can polish the outside of the lens with plastic polish (others have used very fine sandpaper prior to polishing) to get rid of the oxidation then spray it with a clear coat to keep it from oxidizing again.

There should be several posts on refurbishing taillights.  And, switching to LED bulbs would help.