What's a tool you thought you'd use once?

Dzimm

I was doing some work in the yard today and my garden rake broke so I welded it back together.  This got me thinking, what is a tool you bought thinking you'd only use it once, but you've now used it many times?

First is my welder I bought to do some sheet metal work.  It's just a cheap gasless MIG welder I got off Amazon but it gets the job done.  I've used it for body work on the MJ, exhaust work on the MJ, replacing floors in the XJ, making a replacement seat bracket for the XJ, making brackets for some "Ghostbusters" proton packs, and now fixing my garden rake.  It's a tool I don't think I could live without and since I've only got about $225 total in the setup I have, I would say it's a must have for anyone who does diy work.

IMG_20190419_151557.jpg.5a404cc45955733cf2b4c2016f86c39c.jpg

The other tool is my puller tool.  I bought it to replace the clock spring in the blue truck.  I've now used it to replace the clock spring twice and also have used it to replace the ignition cylinder in the 92 MJ.  I've also got a 4.0 engine block out at the farm that I want to tear apart and clean up and will be using this puller to remove the balancer.  It's one of those tools I could have rented from the auto parts store for free, but the many times I've used it has already payed for itself in the gas savings driving to the store multiple times and I would certainly buy it again.IMG_20190419_151622.jpg.9947dd4b765ede20e89277845821c9b6.jpg

What about you guys?

2 ton engine hoist.  well, at least I though it'd only be for lifting engines.  turns out it's good for lifting all sorts of things!  axles...  front halves of XJs...  beanbag chair sized rocks... 

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

2 ton engine hoist.  well, at least I though it'd only be for lifting engines.  turns out it's good for lifting all sorts of things!  axles...  front halves of XJs...  beanbag chair sized rocks... 

I've been thinking about getting one on and off.  I don't have big rocks to move tho. :laugh:

When I bought my A/C manifold gauges (and vacuum pump and all the other tools I use for A/C work) I thought I'd only use it all once. I then discovered that I really enjoy fixing A/C and have now worn out my (cheap) manifold gauges.

Also, steering column service tools. I've been getting by with cheap tools, but I bought the OTC 7927 steering column service set recently to rebuild a friend's GM steering column... that thing is amazing. Totally recommended. It makes the job so much easier when the tool just works and you don't need to fight with it.

My advice for this is usually to start out with the cheap version of the tool. If you break the cheap tool, or find out that you enjoy doing the work that the cheap tool lets you do, buy the nice tool. High quality tools just make everything so much easier. Kind of like using OEM parts vs. aftermarket.

A Harbor Freight scissor transmission jack.

I once rented a trans jack for a weekend from a tool rental company.  I kept it for three day at $50 per day.  After that experience, I figured I could have purchased the HF jack, used it once, thrown it away when I was done, and I would have been ahead money-wise.  

Next time I needed a trans jack, I went and bought the HF version.  I've used it just a few times since getting it, but I have saved a lot of $$ both in the  cost and the driving back and forth to pickup/return to the rental store.

Also, I purchased from Craigslist a hoist and engine stand.  Both of these got good use when I did my 4.0 swap in my CJ7.  The hoist was great at lifting the tub off and on the frame.

Yes to the transmission jack and engine hoist.

Not sure if this counts, but going with what Jeremy said.  I've been doing and enjoying wiring work for decades, but just upgraded my terminal crimpers.  Part number 08913440 for Packard 56 series terminals.  Not cheap, but this thing makes the most beautiful crimps.

IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg

IMG_3969.jpg

My engine hoist story: Saw the hoist come up for sale and I knew the guy was into AMC/Jeep parts and I had a set of 401 heads and a single plane aluminum 4 barrel manifold that I was given by a neighbor who picked them up on a sidewalk in Queens when they were put out for garbage pickup. 

He agreed to an even trade.

Hoist isn’t folding but it comes apart in under 5 minutes with 6 bolts and takes up less room when apart. Easily lifts a 4.0 with transmission and transfer case out.

It’s done around 10 engine swaps between me and my friends plus it’s useful for lifting all kinds of heavy things.

I also have the HF tranny jack and three engine stands that I’ve aquired over the years.

Electric pressure washer I gave a case of beer to a friend in exchange for since he was going to throw it out.  We drank the beer together, so I think cost is technically zero.  It's a piece of junk but man is it ever handy.  Works great for blasting a vehicle clean before bringing it into the shop.

Media blaster.  Bought a 40lb pressurized HF unit to blast a YJ frame clean.  I have used it to strip just about everything that needs cleaned and painted.  

MIG welder.  Got it to move the engine mounts on the aformentioned frame.  I've used it countless times since on all kinds of stuff around the house.

Engine hoist.  Bought it to remove an engine.  It will also lift a tub off a YJ and will be used when I'm removing the beds from my MJs.  Great when moving heavy stuff like axles around the garage.  I do all my work myself so it's like having a buddy here with me to help with the heavy lifting.

13 hours ago, kryptronic said:

Media blaster.  Bought a 40lb pressurized HF unit to blast a YJ frame clean.  I have used it to strip just about everything that needs cleaned and painted.  

Yep. 

You and me must be the only ones who care to do the dirty work. :P

No other way to get small bits or big bits this clean.

w5tKZXD.jpg