Best Tires for Comfortable Highway Driving

Hello,

I've been doing much soul and forum searching and couldn't find an answer to a best tire to have for highway driving on the Comanche. I got the most popular size of 235/75/15 and I am in need of a set that is a solid all season tire, but is good on highway in terms of NHV levels. It is certainly a far cry from a modern truck, let alone a car, but would like to make a sound decision here.

Thanks!

1991 Jeep Comanche, 4x4, 5-speed, in-line 6

I've got Hancook on the XJ and the Nissan both are excellent Highway Tires both are good in the snow and rain.

I have Nitto on the MJ it's a fairly large Tire but it's excellent on the highway very smooth I'm getting ready to go up in size and I will get another set of Nitto.

This is one of those "ask 10 people, get 20 different opinions" questions, like asking "what's the best oil".

I've been very impressed with the noise and comfort performance of Michelin Defender LTXs on my '91. They're much quieter than the out of round Cooper Discoverers they replaced and made the truck feel more secure. Good road manners is my primary goal for that build, but you'd expect good road manners when you pay the price Michelin asks for them. Now I'm in no position to claim they're better than anything, but they make me happy.

I agree with Minuit but for what it's worth, I have Firestone Destination AT's (M+S) and am happy with them.   I bought my MJ from a guy that lived 200+ mi. away.   I was away camping at the time and the vendor handled the certification for me.  I spoke with his mechanic over the phone and he recommended them - said they put these on many of the cars that went through his shop.   Worn out Firestones were on the MJ when I bought it.   The drive home included about 150 mi. of highway driving and I like them right away.   He was right!     

I recently purchased some Hancook Kinergys 215/75P15. $400 installed. Very comfortable ride compared to the old worn out tires and they grip the road well. They seem to be giving up some softness/play in the steering response in exchange for the comfort. It could be the extra inch of rubber, or my steering/front suspension components need an overhaul. All street driving, fyi.

I purchased Michelin Defender LTX All Season Tires on Saturday from Costco.  Ordered and arrived on Monday.  215/75/100T ORWL MSPN 98415 70,000 mile warranty.  I have had good success with Michelin and Costco over many years. They rotate and service tires for free over the life of tires.   Nitrogen fill is  included new. If you ever add regular air, they will empty it and refill with Nitrogen free.  Nitrogen does not expand much as it heats up on a hot road and theoretically results in more even tire wear.. Balanced, 6% sales tax,  $70 off sale with the purchase of 4.  $573.24.  Very smooth ride. Very satisfied.  No off roading.  Minor snow here.

23 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

bluenotenick, love your avatar! I'm a big "Classic" Motorhead fan, I saw them back in 1981 (Ace of Spades tour) and 1982 (Iron Fist tour)!!!

Apologies for the hijack.

WOW! :bowdown: Those are some great tours to have seen them. My first wasn't until '88 with Slayer at the Aragon in Chicago. Can't beat classic Motorhead with Eddie and Phil.

Sorry, back to tires...

+1 on BF Goodrich KO2s.  I have them on three of my Jeeps, and when my Comanches are done, they will be wearing KO2s as well.  You can't beat them on wet/snowy/icy roads, road noise is low, and durability is extremely high.  My 92 MJ has Hankook Dynapro ATMs on it, and they're a close second in my opinion.  I'm not a fan of the Goodyear Wranglers - just not enough traction when conditions are bad.  I hate mud tires, but nobody is talking about them here, so I digress.  Good luck with your choice.

2 minutes ago, kryptronic said:

I'm not a fan of the Goodyear Wranglers - just not enough traction when conditions are bad.

That was a joke.  :laugh:  I hate Goodyear Wranglers, especially the ones they make for Walmart.

Actually my #1 tire is Michelin LTX M/S; they'll last longer than your vehicle will. #2 would probably Cooper A/T3's. Both great all-around tires that can handle most anything.

Just now, HOrnbrod said:

That was a joke.  :laugh:  I hate Goodyear Wranglers, especially the ones they make for Walmart.

Actually my #1 tire is Michelin LTX M/S; they'll last longer than your vehicle will. #2 would probably Cooper A/T3's. Both great all-around tires that can handle most anything.

LOL.  I thought you were serious.  I even thought to myself "I'm pretty sure doesn't even run Wranglers on his truck".  I thought you had BFGs for some reason.  Maybe in an old pic or something.

I've run Costco Michelin X LT AS on my wife's last 2 vehicles, both smooth on highway with good grip on wet or snowy roads.

99 XJ where they went 70,000 miles

01 Escape where they have 30,000 on them and still have great tread

I put a set of Cooper AT3s on my 98 2WD Ram and it's very smooth on highway as well. Good traction wet or snow.

I also have the Firestone Destination AT and like them quite well.  Nice ride on the highway (not noisy) and gives good grip off the pavement as well.  Probably not the best choice if you are into 'off roading.' 

On 10/4/2018 at 5:54 PM, bluenotenick said:

WOW! :bowdown: Those are some great tours to have seen them. My first wasn't until '88 with Slayer at the Aragon in Chicago. Can't beat classic Motorhead with Eddie and Phil.

Sorry, back to tires...

Yes back to Damage Case...one of my favorite Motorhead songs and I have to thank Metallica for introducing me to them. I miss Lemmy. But yes the tires... Michelin has historically provided great products, even in F1.