The future of forums...

onlyinajeep726

I'd like to start off by saying, that despite the fact I haven't really been as active here as I once used to be, I still admire this forum, and its mission, greatly.  That being said, as I've come here lately (and other forums), the whole PhotoBucket debacle has really killed off a lot of great threads.  It's really true what they say: A picture is worth a thousand words.  It's quite disgusting of a business to randomly, and with little to no warning, decide to make a huge overhaul that negatively impacts their users.  Forums, for me especially, have been a huge contributor to my learning about Comanches, and Jeeps in general.  It's truly a shame that we're now bombarded with a little image that states "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting", which once displayed various images of builds, ideas, and helpful tips, which we've all benefited from in some way.

I hope PhotoBucket realizes the error of its ways, but I fear their corporate panel doesn't care.  In which case, I sincerely hope their franchise crumbles to the very ground on which it currently stands.

In the meantime, I hope this great forum, and many others can get through this... CC means a lot to me, as I'm sure it does to many others.

we have a tentative plan for dealing with photobucket. :D  it involves a couple people way smarter than me and a (surprisingly) small amount of code.   :brows:   stay tuned...

problem is that it won't extend to any other forum out there in computerland  :(  but if it works, maybe it will catch on.

screw you photobucket  :fs1:

Sometimes If you right click one of those "update your account" images and click "open image in new tab" it'll take you to the Photobucket webpage and you can view the image. Doesn't always work, but its better than nothing.

If you get the same "update your account" image on the Photobucket website you can click on the posters profile and sometimes find the image in one of their albums. This only works if the poster kept his profile public.

Its better than nothing, but I'm also outraged about this. Before I came a member I was viewing so many images and threads on CC help me work on my Comanche and now its almost completely gone. It really ruins everything Forum wide that people have worked hard to document and help others.

Tbh I considered Photobucket dead long before they pulled the plug. That site is riddled with the epitome of the cancerous annoying advertisements that have caused people to download ad-block in droves more than anything else (besides 30sec long commercials in the middle of YouTube videos)

Photobucket was a steaming pile of $#!& long before this happened. None of the others are much better. One thing that really doesn't sit well with me is destroying knowledge. When Photobucket decided to hold people's pics at ransom they destroyed a lot of knowledge that the Jeep community (and many others) may never get back.

Anyone else remember Imageshack? That's what I used to use "back in the day"

I totally agree with Lucas7667 on ads. I can't bear to use the internet without an ad blocker anymore. Hey web designer, maybe if you didn't automatically play a video ad once I scroll halfway down the page I wouldn't have installed an ad blocker? Too bad I'm missing out on all of the hot singles in my area.  :dunno:

we have a tentative plan for dealing with photobucket...

Does this mean we should leave our images on PB for the time being and not delete our accounts?

yes.  though I speak from ignorance.  it's possible it won't matter, but better safe than sorry.  

Does this mean we should leave our images on PB for the time being and not delete our accounts?

Do not delete your PhotoBucket account. The coding required to accomplish what Pete is referencing as "the plan" requires your account to be there. First Alex needs to finish the move. Then PhotoBucket gets fixed on CC. Have no worries.

Do not delete your PhotoBucket account. The coding required to accomplish what Pete is referencing as "the plan" requires your account to be there. First Alex needs to finish the move. Then PhotoBucket gets fixed on CC. Have no worries.

:thumbsup:

the end game is to get everything of value to be hosted by us.  :thumbsup:

Hi Pete,

Excellent!

I would make a contribution to help accomplish this.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Gene