June 2016 ● 88whitecomanche's '88

Gentlemen! I recently took a look through the entire massive list of past MJOTM recipients and I noticed something kind of alarming... where's all the four cylinders?! Personally, I think they're awesome! There's just something that a 2.5 Comanche has for charm that that a 4.0 will never have. Sure they might be a little slower, and they might not have all the power that their bigger engine brothers have, but they'll sure do everything a 4.0 MJ can do even if it's kicking and screaming and making all sorts of racket doing it! This month let's have a look at...

Posted Image

YEAR/MODEL ●

1988 jeep Comanche Sport Truck

ENGINE/PERFORMANCE ●

Stock 2.5l 4 cyl

DRIVETRAIN ●

Ax15 is external slave swap using a 96-98 Dakota bell housing, 96 np231 out of a grand Cherokee

Dana 30 from a 98 Cherokee currently 3.07 gears

Amc 20 with 4.10 gears....

COOLING ●

Good ole stock cooling and mechanical fan

ELECTRICAL/IGNITION ●

Stock ignition

Yellow top optima battery

C101 delete...

SUSPENSION/STEERING ●

Stock steering

Front- Rubicon express 3" coils, Rubicon express fixed lower control arms, stock upper, Sky jacker track bar drop bracket...

Rear- 2" rear add a leaf from an xj...

Zone off-road shocks

INTERIOR ●

Originally had a bench seat...swapped in black XJ bucket seats

Repainted some of the interior black

Pioneer radio and speakers front and rear

BRAKES ●

Rebuilt stock brakes

Chevy brake lines up front and Dakota rear brake line

LIGHTING ●

Stock headlights with upgraded no name headlight harness

EXTERIOR ●

Bought this truck primer grey as the PO wanted to repaint it all white like I did. Jegs 15x8 d-window rims, 31" bfg all terrains, fresh Chevy white paint job, Nates 4x4 front winch bumper, custom built heavy duty rear bumper, smittybilt xrc8 winch, 4" pod led lights, 4pane rear sliding window

FULL BUILD THREAD HERE

Remember That One Time?... Tell Us Your Best MJ Story ●

I was in the market for a jeep never thought I'd get a Comanche until a buddy of mine picked up one stock...

He came over my place built with a lift and tires and I was hooked! I'll never forget the day he rolled into my yard and I had to have one! So I searched for months until my diamond in a rough. Of course it was a project but I've learned a lot being its my first jeep and I caught the craze...

CC is Awesome!... Why Do You Think So? ●

The wealth of information and the guys who help to get these wonderful trucks back on the road in no time drives me back to this website first before any other site. I love seeing guys build these trucks back to their formal glory!

I really like this little truck. Tip of the cap, sir! Really too bad you mentioned that you're looking to sell it though. Had we been closer and I had the time to deal with another vehicle, I'd be all over this thing. You've really done a great job with it thus far. Enjoy your month!

-Ben

Click here to view the article

Thanks fellas...

I've been daily driving it the past 2 weeks and I've driven over 500+ miles...

I think I caught the craze again with This truck...

Swapping in an 8.25 disc brakes, regear to 4.88s front and rear, dual booster upgrade, sliders...

Truck looks sick!

jw where did you get that toolbox? Solid, all black boxes thatll fit my mj have eluded me for some time now

Thanks fellas...

The tool box is from a ford ranger my pops used to have and he sold the truck but kept the toolbox. I grabbed it from him but it was polished/chrome? I sanded it down and painted it bed liner black Nothing special...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi 88 whitecomanches 88 sport truck. This is corydj69 I have the same truck ,it 4 cylinder 4 speed but 2wd. Had the engine rebuilt 11 years ago and has been a daily driver ever since. It was bored out 50 over and it is still a screamer. i want 4 wheel drive if you or anybody can help find parts, i would greatly appreciate it. I want to keep it 4 cyl 4 speed. Thanks me

Hi 88 whitecomanches 88 sport truck. This is corydj69 I have the same truck ,it 4 cylinder 4 speed but 2wd. Had the engine rebuilt 11 years ago and has been a daily driver ever since. It was bored out 50 over and it is still a screamer. i want 4 wheel drive if you or anybody can help find parts, i would greatly appreciate it. I want to keep it 4 cyl 4 speed. Thanks me

Any particular reason you want to keep the 4-speed? It would seem to me that finding a 4wd AX4 transmission might be a little harder than finding an AX5 - to wit, if you're going with a 5-speed, you may as well go with the AX15 and never have to worry about it ever again. AX4=AX5 with no overdrive.

Here's some more info about the AX-series transmissions to give you a little more info: http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/ax5

I personally would recommend finding a wrecked XJ - between 92-99 - with an ax15 and swap in the tranny, transfer case, front axle and driveshafts into your Jeep. Speaking from experience, that's the easiest way to do a conversion is to actually have a donor vehicle so that, in the event you need anything else to complete the swap, you have it right there on the vehicle you took it from.

Where are you located?

I still have my original ax5 and np231 transfer case To start your conversion...

• 7 months later...