I'd take those calipers and soak them in the Industrial TB cleaner for a day. Go get 10 bottles of it and pour 'em in a 5 gal pail. Then douse those suckers. They will come out looking great. Its amazing stuff, I cleaned both of the knuckles up on my project Dana 30 this way, they came out looking like they were just cast.

You gotta oil them up or paint them right away though or else they will start to rust again.

Won't that eat at the rubber seals on the calipers?

And I do have a parts soaker tank. :yes:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can take the seals off if you are worried about them. I've been putting bolts and all kinds of other stuff I've got in it, some of the stuff has rubber parts and pieces to it and they come out untouched. Plastic is fine in there too.

Just stay away from putting "pot metal" in there. I had a pulley I put in there that was made up from some sort of leadish stuff and it dissolved it. :clapping: Also, it'll take off plating on things if you put them in there and re-plate everything you have in there with it. Some of my stuff has come out of there with a copper hint to it cause I apparently put some of that in there along the line... :clapping:

You'll like it though, does a damn good job right off the bat then it eventually gets weaker and weaker.

And I do have a parts soaker tank. :yes:

perfect, all u need is a batery charger,

arm and hammer a few spoon fulls, and a sheet of metal :D

it will garunteed be the easiest way to clean ur axel,

what u do is u put the metal plate in the soakertank, preferably on the edge,

and hook the positive up to that,

then put the axel in the tank, make sure the metal isnt touching, hooke the negative up to that,

add some of that arm and hammer stuff,

turn on the battery charger,

come back the next day and it will be factory clean,

ohh and if u did the acid way,

acid doesnt disolve plastic,

all the hcl acid that i worked with came in plastic jugs

jesus dude. this thing is gonna be huge.... and cost like a billion dollars.

thanks man and yeah bigger then the first thought out plan :D Cost?, well more then most but I get some good deals, just have to look for them, and that has kept the cost down, keep in mind my budget is based on not working for the last two years, and a tolerate girl. :wall:

• 3 weeks later...

well got some time for tinkering today, so pulled my t-case, be dropping that off to have it put together for the doubler/sye, then installed the spicer joints in the D44 shafts, installed the spindle bolts and messed with the hy-steer studs, not installing those until get the drag link hole drilled where ever it needs to be. Picked up Spicer ball joints as well, why not right? Gears are installed on the 44 as well so bout time to start adding the brackets to it. jamminz.gif

Holy crap! Attempting to follow your progress is harder than keeping track of Tiger Woods's girlfriends. :doh:

How many sets of tires have you gone through?

You started with a D44, then found a D60, and now you are back to a D44? :fool:

Willy

Holy crap! Attempting to follow your progress is harder than keeping track of Tiger Woods's girlfriends. :doh:

How many sets of tires have you gone through?

You started with a D44, then found a D60, and now you are back to a D44? :fool:

Willy

still building up the orginal 44 and 8.8, just i picked up the 60 and 14 bolt as it is what i will be running, the 44 and 8.8 are already sold, i just being paid to finish building them, so firgure no sense not posting up on them as they are being built per my orignal plan just not going to keep them, get experience i guess, that why you can't say i didn't go 44 before 60's. :rotfl2:

hawgs yeah they for sale, want 40-42's for the rocks and trails, not a mud guy.