well started putting the 44 back together to just get it rolling, drive it in 2wd for now in hopes to be able to drive it up for the blessing. So put the shafts back in and found something was a little short, the whole deal with these axles was @#$%ed up from the start, as Dune Coon bought them from thrill20 and they were sold as ready to run and Dune Coon found out that they were not so ready after all, so after he was dicked around on them he said @#$% em and went to 60/10.25 and I got them from him as I would rebuild them and make them "ready to run", so hit him up and asked him about the shafts, weather they were the right ones or not, he said they should be as the axles were fully assembled when he had got them from the douchebag thrill20, So I sent him the pics and told him he got jacked on a shaft as well. Short side shaft engages the side gear all the way, where in the pic you can see the shaft all the way in and barley engages the side gear, and any amount of torque will surely strip the splines on the shaft.

So going to leave them in now for the mean time as be only 2wd anyways, but will be picking up the chrome molly shafts sooner then later I guess. oh well. :D

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well found the passenger side inner shaft is for a half ton, and as well found that my warn lockouts do not fit my hubs, so going to assume hubs are for half tons as wells as I have a spare set of hubs that I know are 3/4 ton and my lockouts fit, so not I have to completely redo the hubs and tear my others back done. But how is it that they are 8 lug and my lockouts don't work? idk just annoyed with that $#!&.

Well anyways picked up the 79 chevy front rotors for the rear 60 so those are on, hubs on and axles are at least good enough to roll with tires on. Which the jeep and axles were picked up friday night to go to buddys place to start the fab work and get them under the jeep and rolling at least, then be back to my place where I will finish up the brakes (plumbing) and deal with the hubs then and fluids and driveshafts. Getting closer. :thumbsup:

well progress has been made on the jeep. Thanks to shortiron who came to pick the jeep up and took care of the jeep for a while as I been working 6 days a week and have no time (or welder) to get it squared away. So update with some pics finally. And I will be going to bed with a big smile on my face. :D

rear rotors installed

picked up some bushings that were a bit bigger then needed for shackle hangers so made them work with a hole saw and a grinder :redneck:

Fun time loading it up on trailer with no front axle. Winch was a big help. But once over to shortiron's place got some axle work done.

then while at work today I was sent this pic, so needless to say I got out early :yes:

so got there when started the front install.

then once ready for tires to be mounted found that my passenger hy-steer arm was to long so H2 would not fit without a spacer so just hacked it off. :rotfl2: wasn't sure on steering anyways so had double hole set up, now going to just go with the crossover which will work out good with the clearance issues from the springs. So once cut that mounted tires and have to say it sits more level then I had expected. And I'm real happy with how it is turning out. Big thanks to Sortiron for his help and continued help as more needs to be done. image_209027.gif

have better pic later best I could do as of tonight.

look awesome! but hey I'm wonder why somepeople even you too get front axle conversion from coil to leafspring?

Because I hate DW and I had no money to do it how I wanted right now. So to keep it cheap and simple I went with the leafs. Will be easy to swap a 60 in if wanted as well, but plan is to run the 44/60 for now with the leafs and then collect the parts for a 3 link front and a 4 link rear with air shock/coilovers. and will truggy the rear. And I will be going all out with aluminum links and all so no need to spend all that money now anyways when I have a motor that needs to be yanked. So when these axles done I will be working on the drivetrain then go back to collecting parts for winter 2012 if still alive. :D

got some better pics today. :thumbsup:

Work on the seat install. Passenger seat is in. Drivers needs some finesse to fit around the tcase hump.

So needs little bit more welding done on it and the muffler welded on and the front shock mounts. then be brought back home where I'll finish up the brakes, driveshaft, and then the test drive. :D

Now its geting to that point when you part it out and trade "up" to an 80's chevy luv 4x4 or something like that right :doh: :yes:

Haha ! It's starting to look good , I really like the look of the hummer wheels on that thing. How's the steering going to be with the axle that far forward?

Now its geting to that point when you part it out and trade "up" to an 80's chevy luv 4x4 or something like that right :doh: :yes:

Haha ! It's starting to look good , I really like the look of the hummer wheels on that thing. How's the steering going to be with the axle that far forward?

should be fine as running hy steer arms and everything seems to line up good. just working on trying to find a tap or someone to tap my 1.25" dom for the 1 ton chevy tie rods ends.

ok so found that my tie rods hit on my wheels so will have to run a 1/4" spacer up front no biggie. So measured out the tie rod, 45 1/2 and 21 for the drag link. In that range anyways. And so should be having it tap tomorrow by Sandvipr as I will be mounting is 42's up with his new pvc inserts. Sweetness! Also picked up some nice new tail lights thanks to Dune Coon. So looking to have some corner guards made up by Shortiron and drop those into it, be like the YJ rear corner guards. Be very nice.

Had to cut off the front hole on hy arm to clear rim...

now have to add 1/4" spacer to clear the tie rod end, but then should have no issues running the crossover set up. With my drop pitman arm my drag link will be almost parallel with the tie rod which is good I think, lol

the new tails...

wouldnt it mess the t-case's driveshaft angles up it shackles on the rear when flexing?

somewhat, idea is you would need a longer drivshaft with the shackles is the back because of how it would flex, from what I read.

Some tell me I will hate the shackles is front, majority run them in the front and have no issues, little stiff and more chance of bending the leafs but either way I went from LA and coils to this setup. I've be all about running leafs at all 4 corners since my flat bed, but the ford was just to damn heavy. I'm excited about it being so simple.

ok so found that my tie rods hit on my wheels so will have to run a 1/4" spacer up front no biggie. So measured out the tie rod, 45 1/2 and 21 for the drag link. In that range anyways. And so should be having it tap tomorrow by Sandvipr as I will be mounting is 42's up with his new pvc inserts. Sweetness! Also picked up some nice new tail lights thanks to Dune Coon. So looking to have some corner guards made up by Shortiron and drop those into it, be like the YJ rear corner guards. Be very nice.

Had to cut off the front hole on hy arm to clear rim...

now have to add 1/4" spacer to clear the tie rod end, but then should have no issues running the crossover set up. With my drop pitman arm my drag link will be almost parallel with the tie rod which is good I think, lol

the new tails...

Where did you get your tails from? I can't seem to find that style.

autozone? oreilly's? i seen them all of time in auto parts store? :dunno:

can't wait until your done with your MJ project :) look so great so far. I'm become curious more about front leaf spring :wrench:

buddy got me the tails at a local truck parts company. My buddy, Dune Coon, builds trailers and and stuff so he knows more about the bigger truck parts and stuff from work, as to just walking into a Napa or something, Not to mention I got them cheaper then the auto parts store. :D Then just got the gourmets and pig tail wire for both the lights for like $7 at Auto Value/ local parts store. Also I guess my rear corner guards for the new tail lights is being made up as well so looks like those be on soon as well. which this was my inspiration as some may recognize this jeep as H3RESQ new rig...

And steering links off to A&B Machine shop, dealt with them before, when had a custom bronze pilot bushing made up for trans swap on the green XJ, great guys there. So hope to have them back by weekend.

jamminz.gif

some small progress today.... :yes:

my rear bumper that Shortiron had made up for me, all in a days work he says, lol. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. And will look good when he ties in the corner guards.

:drool: :drool: :drool: LOOKS AWESOME! :thumbsup:

thanks man. :cheers:

got the rear bumper on and bolted up and painted. front 1/4" wheel spacers installed, steering test fitted, not happy with it but it will hold me over for now, will end up running 1.5" dom and bungs and call it a damn day. So just have to pick up the rest of the brake parts and install and hope it works out. Rear driveshaft was made up today as well. Be adding a sye later so will get new shaft then as well. Also front shocks installed as well.