YOu going to @#$%ing do something then @#$%ing do it right the first damn time. Been saying that on the last two rigs, god damn it going to do it this time. I already lost some time other misc things, so I'm not going to lose my rear coil set up. I'm @#$%ing doing it. I want to turn my XJ into something like this inspiration. Got a lead on a set of rear brackets that are from RockKrawler, who puts out the front and rear long arm coil set up like this... same long arm I had on my last jeep and what I'm basing this build off of , and thus making everything myself or ordering the brackets from Ballistic will cut the cost way down, coil mounts for the rear , rear link axle mount setup and can be custom. But the thing I was having problems with was the frame brackets for the rear and that was what was leading me to just settling for the leafs, but @#$% that wasted money, and time can just be the same if I get these, the rear bracket needed to set the triangulated 4 link setup , and bolt these on and set up the rear off these, will take allot of guess work out of it, especially being at my place.

Then I have always been partial to rod ends, I have just always liked them. So undecided on what to use either these, BTF Flex joint , Ballistic Premium Rod ends , (costly there), MWC Rod ends , cheaper but I ran there stuff with my steering set up and I was pleased all around with them and their stuff, or there's these, Summitmachine Flex-joints.

So that's where I'm at right now and why thing are kinda at a stand still. :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well just got in, and I got some work done tonight. Cleaned up the shop a little bit and added some insulation, :ack: Then I dropped the gas tank and started to cut out the floors. Go the front section done, now need to measure up so things and make sure how I'm going to raise the gas tank in the rear up into the frame and mount it on the floor. I'm thinking I'll end up doing something of this sort here and perhaps something like this for some sort of skid . Then I'll build a rack to go over it to haul gear. So that's about it of what I got done tonight. Mess with the rear some more tomorrow night. Off to bed now :shake:

Well got some more done tonight. Rest of the floor cut out in the rear, and the hole cut for the gas tank to be dropped in. Now just debating if I want to cut and open up the fenders or just leave them be, more stock look, being I'm running full size axles and inside of the tire will be flush with the outside of the stock fender flare, I'm thinking I may just leave it and call it a day. If not can cut it out later.

My helper working hard... :shake:

He's not even joking. Yah they do get better sometimes but this is very average for how badly gone most of the XJs are in these parts. Every time you buy one its almost a requirement to pull up the carpet to patch the floor. :wall:

:hijack:

These are some OLD shots of my first XJ, an old National Forest Service woods bomber. I bought this beauty for $250 and it was in SAD shape. Long story short, it got me addicted to Jeeps and is the reason I am where I am today with the Comanches...

A few months before I sold it, I got it looking decent compared to what I got when I bought it:

21079_553499660147_6603948_32478241_4688101_n.jpg

n6603948_30571253_7677.jpg

When I got it, there were NO floors in it... I welded "new" ones in over the winter with lots of strips of 14g.

21079_553499545377_6603948_32478236_4977466_n.jpg

21079_553499550367_6603948_32478237_3040268_n.jpg

21079_553499555357_6603948_32478238_2779889_n.jpg

21079_553499560347_6603948_32478239_8376081_n.jpg

Now you see my jeep is pretty solid yet. :shake:

Yeah I got to go pick me up some sheet for it, I can get floor pans for like $65, but think just do they sheet and call it a day. This is going to be my breaking in project as to me learning how to weld. Will not post pics later. :roll:

Its not that bad Roger, just get some thicker stuff than what is there for the floor-pans so you can actually weld to it. If its too thin then you'll just burn right through. When you weld you can keep the mig gun pointed in toward your thicker steel to throw some of the heat on to it. Don't expect the factory steel to hold much heat... :doh:

well got paint and some grinder stuff to get the floors prepped for new stock. Found a sheet of stock for $45. so should be all set. Practice some welding, so I now have an understanding of what a weld is suppose to look like. So will get things preped and get the metal next week to start redoing the floors. jamminz.gif

Well took a break from the jeep and delivered some parts I sold, and ended up getting started on my new arm sleeve, which I went for something simple and ended up starting my arm sleeve, :shake: It is of my second daughter, Izabella Marisol, this one wasn't as bad as my first daughter's tattoo on my stomach, that hurt like hell. :wall: Where I got my tattoo at or from...

http://www.myspace.com/johnny.ballz

Well got some stuff done today. Cleaned up the frame a little bit and got some paint inside the frame rails and good to go now for the metal to go in, so pick that up later this week. Then did some messing around with the rear to get an idea of how things will be set up in the back.

Old man got me a couple things for Christmas...

925 CCA at 0* gel cell

paint used, $30 for a gallon at menards.

cleaned up with flap disk then painted

Set up the rear for mounting ideas, keep in mind the basket is just the idea as it will have a rack just above the gas tank and the gas tank/battery will be boxed in.

fill neck be moved to here,

battery will be put in front of gas tank for room for the cage foot in the back,

then cleaned up the hubs and switched to the warn lockouts from the stock Ford lockouts,

might want to put a shield around the gas tank thogh all it would take is ont spark and you could all blow uo. and a leak inside woulnt be fun either . but that is a good idea keepd it up away from damage

the gas tank will be fully boxed in and enclosed from the rest of everything. The battery will be straped down right in front like in pic.