• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ditching the 8.8 plan for the rear, for a D60. Picking up the D60 with it shaved and trussed already and comes with one 35 spline moser shaft 5x5.5, then putting in a full spool and doing a disk brake setup on it. So that's the last major change in the plan. :yes:

The bumper looks good!

But I am conserned with the stregnth or lack there of in the mounts. It looks like the stock XJ crossmember, which I have always said needed beefing, especially if it will see tow points added. Its just not ever made to with stand such stresses.

CW

The bumper looks good!

But I am conserned with the stregnth or lack there of in the mounts. It looks like the stock XJ crossmember, which I have always said needed beefing, especially if it will see tow points added. Its just not ever made to with stand such stresses.

CW

see I understand exactly, which is why they have the unibody tie in brackets, as to make it like a reese hitch mount, however, I still no like that either, but I'm plating the whole frame and will be adding plate to the bottom of the frame rail, and as well will have a full plate cover both frame rails and protecting the gas tank as a intergrated skid, and with that added beef, it will sure to please even you CW. jamminz.gif

I saw them, and its a good start. But it's still one bolt on each side of each piece. it helps with a straight pull on the tow point. But he actual bumper mount, even thou it utilizes 4 bolts. But they are in sheet metal, attached to sheet metal. Fine for the lite factory sheet metal bumper, seriously lacking for even the weight of some HD bumpers out there!!

I would look to some class three hitches. The rails are thick, at least 3/16" and they run up the frame rail more than a foot with three bolts per side. (IIRC)

Even the not super HD factory MJ mounts are far beefier.

CW

I saw them, and its a good start. But it's still one bolt on each side of each piece. it helps with a straight pull on the tow point. But he actual bumper mount, even thou it utilizes 4 bolts. But they are in sheet metal, attached to sheet metal. Fine for the lite factory sheet metal bumper, seriously lacking for even the weight of some HD bumpers out there!!

I would look to some class three hitches. The rails are thick, at least 3/16" and they run up the frame rail more than a foot with three bolts per side. (IIRC)

Even the not super HD factory MJ mounts are far beefier.

CW

ok then I'll plate the frame inside and out with 3/16 then have each piece bent on bothsides of the frame then weld some nuts and utilize that as a mounting point for the bumber thus making it apart of the whole rear frame, what you think about that? Gettin a welder here in the next couple weeks so will be going to town on the rear end and that's, with what you explain the best way I see that I could fully secure it at the mounts, with out cutting up the bumper.

I'm sure you will come up with a good plan! I agree, definitely don't start chopping up that bumper, it looks good as is!! If you ran a couple plates up the sides and bolted/welded them in place then tied this into those four bolt factory mounts, I would say you would very effectively strengthen up the hole back of the frame/bumper assembly.

Plating the underside is also a plan, although there comes a point that your adding allot of weight with out a appropriate return. If you spent time in the rocks, I feel that some additional frame plating is necessary, but 3/16" might be overkill.

We went to look at another MJ today and the guy showing it had a XJ with some body mounted rocker protection. It looked like 2x6x3/16" steel. IMHO it was mounted too far from the body allowing to much leverage to be applied when sitting on the rocker. He actually pushed it up so far that he couldnt open his door. Now the rocker was barely marked, but it was so strong that it merely moved the body deflected and buckled with the weight of the vehicle. I mention it because its similar to what you have now with your bumper.

CW