A Copy Of The Parking Brake Recall?

I seem to have lost it but I used to have the actual recall for these damn parking brakes that let go and destroy MJs like mine did. I got it from the old Comanche group but upon going there - its gone. Breaks my heart too that was quite the place and always on my mind.

Where can I get it? Mine is totally useless now and I removed it to try and fix but its a waste of time. Would Jeep provide me the parts if I showed them the recall? I am pretty sure if I went in they'd do anything to frustrate me into leaving empty handed.

Last time I posted was in projects looking for a photo of a black MJ for a custom paint job I'm doing. Its still in the works and looking great. I can post up one of the current state of the truck...

My email has changed - don't remember if I updated it here or not.  xjs4ever@gmail.com

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked to a good Chrysler parts guy about this long ago and he assured me that there aren't any replacements left.

If it was a safety recall, then kick up a ruckus and they will HAVE to come up with replacements. As long as a vehicle is on the road, if a safety recall was issued then the manufacturer is liable for repairs to remediate the problem.

I talked to a good Chrysler parts guy about this long ago and he assured me that there aren't any replacements left.

If it was a safety recall, then kick up a ruckus and they will HAVE to come up with replacements. As long as a vehicle is on the road, if a safety recall was issued then the manufacturer is liable for repairs to remediate the problem.

Good point.

if its a saftey they legally do have to preform the work.

back in 05 when i worked at All American ford in tallahassee we had a beat-to-hell 89 ford probe come in for a saftey recall on the automatic seatbelts.

trust me... it was the least of this cars problems (the blow-by on the 3.0 under the hood was so bad that if you removed the oil cap the car stalled).... but we did the work.

Being an 86 recall through AMC, Chrysler will not have any info on this and won't feel obligated to do anything about it. Ive been through the books, even on my 87, its all AMC stuff and Chrysler doest have much if any info carried over from them. On top of that, they legally don't have to do anything on any vehicles more than 10 years old. Sometimes they do a lifetime warrany on certain items, but with your parking brake, this is not the case especially since they didnt own the company at the time. I feel for you, but I don't think youre going to get anywhere with this. I don't even think a lawsuit would get you aywhere, considering the vehicles age, milage, number of owners, unknown total maintinance, a case like that would be thrown out before it got started.

Worth a try.  I figured the worse they can say is no, which is what I'm expecting.  Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised.

However, aside from the 10 year thing, wouldn't they assume responsibility for all issues when buying out another company's product?  If they bought and continued the product, then they bought the problems associated.

Also, how about the case with the ZJ's and WJ's gas tank exploding in rear end collisions?  It was just a few months ago that they put out a TSB/recall about those from '93 onward.  That's older than 10 years and yet they're giving and installing trailer hitches on every ZJ and WJ that comes in.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just don't see how they can legally deny someone a repair based on a defective part that was recalled.  Seems that when any company buys out another, they assume all associated problems as well.

I agree with you, but being a dealer tech having an 86 model come in that the advisor can't get a VIP on to tell them if there is an open recall is going to be your immeadiate stopping point. They arent going to allow a free repair to a vehicle unless they can verify that they will get paid for it. If I were you, I would start by taking all the above recall infomation and calling or emailing Chrysler directly. This would be the best starting point because the dealer won't be able to get any info. Chrysler themselves won't even have the info but may be able to make something happen. I wish you luck!

Although it is true that manufacturers are only required to provide support and parts for their vehicles for 10 years after date of manufacture, this does not apply to a safety recall. The only time limit for a safety recall is when the very last non-remediated vehicle is no longer in service.

Here's a page on Jeep's contact us page. http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.html

Safety Recall - Safety recalls include any problem encountered with a Chrysler product related to the safe operation of the vehicle or the safety of the occupants. Chrysler will correct the problem, at no charge, even if the vehicle is out of warranty and you are not the original owner.