A Copy Of The Parking Brake Recall?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny that the recall seemd to only include the 86s. They all popped of through 92.

Sounds like there might be a class-action lawsuit in the making then. I know a metalurgical expert who has a thriving consultancy providing expert testimony for such cases (like high-rise crane failure, and the Mississippi River Bridge collapse in Minnesota). If there are any interested parties here who can provide failed parking brake parts and evidence of the consequences of failure, let me know and I could see if he is interested.

Funny that the recall seemd to only include the 86s. They all popped of through 92.

Also the 86-92 MJs had the same part number for the parking brake assembly throughout the years, 52000803. Usually when a subpart modification or design change is made to an assembly, the part number changes to indicate the mod or change.

Sounds like there might be a class-action lawsuit in the making then. I know a metalurgical expert who has a thriving consultancy providing expert testimony for such cases (like high-rise crane failure, and the Mississippi River Bridge collapse in Minnesota). If there are any interested parties here who can provide failed parking brake parts and evidence of the consequences of failure, let me know and I could see if he is interested.

You want evidence of consequence of failure?

http://comancheclub.com/topic/40785-comanche-coulda-killed-me-some-pics-not-for-the-weak-stomach/

My parking brake also doesn't work. But haven't looked at it to see what's wrong with it, as I've got an automatic and "park" still works.

You want evidence of consequence of failure?

http://comancheclub.com/topic/40785-comanche-coulda-killed-me-some-pics-not-for-the-weak-stomach/

My parking brake also doesn't work. But haven't looked at it to see what's wrong with it, as I've got an automatic and "park" still works.

I know it's true. ALL of them were POSs.

I fixed mine back when it was still std trans. I think I used a Jtruck Ebrake pedal assembly and I had to drill one hole to make it work (It could've been off something else though. Almost 10 years and a few injuries later it's amazing I still recall my own name!)

When my tilt column was still doing the flippity floppity I climbed in on the side of a hill and had to pull slightly on the wheel to make it (33" tires and 5 1/2" lift) and it popped out of park and nearly took out my wife's new car!

Guys, here's the update...

SUCCESS!!!!

Dear Shawn:

Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center.

Our records indicate the following recalls are still open on this

vehicle:

Recall 940T FUELLINE (Quick connection fitting in the fuel return line

may not be fully seated)

Recall 946T PKPAWL60 (Park brake assembly may release under load)

Please visit your local servicing dealership to have the recalls

completed, provided the parts are available. We encourage you to work

with your dealership until your recalls have been completed.

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Melissa

Customer Service Representative

Jeep Customer Assistance Center

cruiser54, on 20 Nov 2013 - 07:32, said:

Hopefully there are parts.

Hopefully there are NOT parts, you mean. They are still on the hook to fix his vehicle, and if they can't, a clever lawyer just might get him a new Jeep out of the deal! :rotf:

Haha.  Well, the only problem with that is I have no interest in any of the newer Jeeps lol.  Well, I'm lying a bit... the SRT8 Grand Cherokee has always been interesting to me. :brows:   I doubt that I could get Chrysler to give me a $60k+ vehicle for not having parts necessary to fix a 28+ year old vehicle lol.

Guys, here's the update...

SUCCESS!!!!

Dear Shawn:

Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center.

Our records indicate the following recalls are still open on this

vehicle:

Recall 940T FUELLINE (Quick connection fitting in the fuel return line

may not be fully seated)

Recall 946T PKPAWL60 (Park brake assembly may release under load)

Please visit your local servicing dealership to have the recalls

completed, provided the parts are available. We encourage you to work

with your dealership until your recalls have been completed.

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Melissa

Customer Service Representative

Jeep Customer Assistance Center

Seems to me that bizzatch owes you an apology too, at the very least. After all, she denied your claim for service to rectify a safety recall - and not just once either, but twice... and she got all snippy the second time around, too, basically told you to fk off and then threatened to make a company record of any further attempts you made to contact them, remember?

Contact NHTSA next, attach copies of your correspondence with Chrysler, point out the flat refusals to provide mandated service and the intimidation tactics used in an attempt to drive you away from making further inquiry, and make sure to draw attention to her name. "Melissa" - she should be easy to track down, right? I bet there are fewer than 5,000 "Melissas" working at Chrysler Corp, so it should be a piece of cake to find the correct one...   ;)

Checked through all the old books, neither of those recalls are listed. And as I said, the number comes up in a recall search on Chrysler, but no description is aavailable. A google search find nothing either except for a thread from here in 2008 http://comancheclub.com/topic/11549-recall-code-946-t/ . You may email back to mellissa and ask for a copy of the recall description to give to the dealer. The description will have part numbers, LOP codes and flat rate times on it so the dealer can get paid.

The part number in the document is not listed, probably because its an AMC number, but going off the previously listed pn and its superscession pn, there are none available anywhere. Not sure how far youre going to get with this.

He will get as far as he cares to push it.

NHTSA will back him up, because the recall is a done deal. It's just a question of how far Chrysler will have to go in order to satisfy the recall: if they can't get the parking brake ratchet pawl, then replacement of assemblies is next, if none available then replacement of assemblies of assemblies ad infinitum (up to theoretically replacing the whole truck!), until the problem is resolved.

For a long while, growing up, my parent's owned an 1989 Honda Accord. In the late 90's/early 2000's one of front seat belt buckles failed. Turns out, there was a recall to replace the front buckles. They took it to the dealer and got it done. 

But, as other people have said, a safety recall is a safety recall. 

IIRC, the seatbelt buckle manufacturer was Tokico, wasn't it? They are a supplier to many vehicle manufacturers, so many makes and models were affected.

Stll looking forward to seeing the original issue of this thread resolved - can't wait for the next update. :)

Also the 86-92 MJs had the same part number for the parking brake assembly throughout the years, 52000803. Usually when a subpart modification or design change is made to an assembly, the part number changes to indicate the mod or change.

That right there is some pretty damning evidence when combined with the other reports in this thread of MJs of all years experiencing the same parking brake failure. I think this is worth pursuing, especially by the 2 guys (so far) who reported losses: 1 MJ that ended up with a smashed front end, and the other who not only had his truck totaled but also got his arm mangled in the bargain.

Need to collect all reports of failure here, then bundle them and ask NHTSA to investigate. The fact that the same part number is used across all years of production is the key. A metalurgical study of failed parts would clinch the deal, I think, and set the stage for a class-action lawsuit. Every law firm in the country that handles such actions would be salivating over the thought of getting a slice of that pie.

Oyaji, I'm in with that if you can make something happen.  Clearly, I have a trail of emails that show the initial resistance to my inquiry.  I'm sure as y'all have alluded to, I will probably have issues getting the part(s) needed to correct my problem.  Could turn into something serious if we wanted it to.

On a separate but related note, if they really can't fix my brake, perhaps they can retrofit a TJ foot brake to replace the faulty MJ brake.  I've heard the TJ ones are still available new from the dealer.  But yes, I think if it's a known issue, common part numbers across all year MJ's, testimonials from you all and the initial attempts to stonewall me, we might just have something to work with here.

Need to keep in mind this effort will be to get dysfunctional parking brakes repaired under recall. Anything else that might accrue is incidental.

With that in mind, we need to have reports with a brief description of incidents of parking brake failure. Once it seems a general and  similar failure is commonplace, the next step will be to see if other parties  (like my metallurgist contact and NHTSA) are willing to carry this to the next level.

Post up how your parking brakes work (or how they don't work) for your MJs of any and all years, guys.       

I've got a peppermint scented pine tree hanging from my parking brake pedal cause that's all it's good for. Do I need to provide video evidence or something? Cause I can do that.

Maybe in the future, but for now just need as many reports of failure as possible. Some details would be nice, at least the year of manufacture for starters.

If a bunch of people complain, I'll go ask my metallurgist contact how to proceed. As I mentioned before, I'd guess a metallurgical study would need to be made of the parking brake pawls to determine if they are within spec for hardness. There would probably be some sort of procedure to go through to disallow tampering with evidence as a possibility - I am sure he would know about that as it is part of his specialty.

Just need to see how widespread the problem is, first. Post 'em up, guys - don't be shy!