A Copy Of The Parking Brake Recall?

I've got a '91, build date 1/22/91, although I don't know for certain mine's got a pawl issue. It acts as though it's setting (there's even some resistance when pushing the pedal down) and it releases normally, but even with it "set" I can still push the truck around myself while in Neutral.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adjust the cable nuts on underneath the truck and then see what happens.  That's what did it for me.  More tension on the cable and the brake wants to pop up...

Before the cables get adjusted you need to adjust your rear brake shoes, this is most likely your issue. A clean and adjust of the rear brakes will m ake a world of difference.

I have a 1991 jeep comanche sporTruck  . the pedal will finally stay down after pressing between 10-15 times no matter how far I press it and will "pop" out of no where . . It has popped at several gas stations and in one incidence, led me on a wild chase to hop in and on the brakes before it would have collided with several cars and in another instance popped and damaged a gate at a friends house . .I say THIS NEEDS TO BE MADE RIGHT

Proper drum brake and cable tension adjustment is important, but more important is the condition of the brake cables themselves. After years of ramming the e-brake pedal trying to drag the rusted out stretched out inner cables through the rusted out cable sheath takes it's toll on the parking brake mechanism every time you try to use it. I bought my MJ over 11 years ago, and had a hard time getting the e-barke to engage and hold at first. The easy immediate fix was to use a motorcycle cable lubricator tool to force the lube through the inner cable until it ran out the distant end. Lubing the single front cable and the two rear cables freed them up nicely so that minimal foot pressure was required. The e-brake worked great after that, and lasted many years with that single lube until I replaced all the e-brake cables when I switched over to rear disks.

It's working great now, and will always work great as long as you take care of the cables.

BTW, the rear left and right replacement e-brake cables are the same for all MJs; the front cable for the LWB and SWB trucks are different.

id never leave it running!! someone could steal it !! this was back 2-3 years ago . .that brake got worse and worse and the fix was like you said (put it in gear). . unfortunately I haven't driven that truck in almost two years not but can't wait till the tires hit the blacktop here again sooooon!!

I say you stop leaving it running and park it in gear, and realize the fact that NO ONE honors a recall on a 22-23 year old vehicle.

The original recall was in 86. All park brake assemblies made thereafter were the newer superceded parts. There was no recall of the 87 and up models therefore there is no reason for them to do anything about this. Add to that few if any records carried over from AMC and I have to agree that this is an exercise in futility. Especially considering that the park brake assemblies are no longer available. If you get anywhere with this through Chrysler I will be pleasantly surprised.

The original recall was in 86. All park brake assemblies made thereafter were the newer superceded parts. There was no recall of the 87 and up models therefore there is no reason for them to do anything about this. Add to that few if any records carried over from AMC and I have to agree that this is an exercise in futility. Especially considering that the park brake assemblies are no longer available. If you get anywhere with this through Chrysler I will be pleasantly surprised.

You are right about the recall being only for the 1986 model year. The rest is debatable.

The point of talking about parking brake failures on all models AFTER 1986 is to see if there is a demonstrable trend. Hornbrod mentioned earlier that the part numbers for parking brake pawl is the same regardless of year, which leads to the suspicion that there might be a problem with other years that never had a recall issued. The purpose of this thread has drifted towards gathering any evidence of pervasive parking brake failure on model years other than 1986, and if there is, to determine whether further investigation and action is warranted.

I will be interested in seeing how Chrysler goes about honoring the recall of 1986 parking brakes. They are bound by law to do so.

Well, I still plan to get my issue resolved.  I have email records (as I've presented here in previous posts) that show where the Chrysler Customer Service rep stated I had open safety recalls on my model.  That being said, I realize that parts may not be available anymore and will cross that bridge when I get to it.  But, no matter what, something will get done about it, if I have to drag this out for another 28 years...  I'd be fine with a retrofit of another parking brake assembly so long as the end result is functional and safe.

Would either of you like to put money on that? :)

Put money on what? Lay out the details of what you expect to accomplish. I'll always bet on a sure thing.

uhhh... the part you quoted, of course, highlighted in large bold green print below:

.............. and realize the fact that NO ONE honors a recall on a 22-23 year old vehicle.

Agree, an exercise in futility. Amusing too.

Would either of you like to put money on that? :)

I think it is a sure thing alright - just not the outcome that you think. I am certain they will honor the recall by some means, which may go well beyond simple replacement of the defective pawl.

More tap dancing, smoke and mirrors, etc. ad nauseaum. Since you called out a bet Oyaji-san, and you state "I am certain they will honor the recall by some means, which may go well beyond simple replacement of the defective pawl", I'll bet they won't do squat. Make the bet easy on yourself. Meanwhile, as you are thinking of another semi-clever repartee, here is some listening enjoyment just for you. One of my all time favorites:

Oyaji, you must be off your absolute rockers with some sort of liberal expectation of free sh*t.

Here's the deal;

Your truck is old.   not a single MJ is younger than 20 years.

Most cars that old don't have functional parking brakes, unless someone either A.) used them, or B.) replaced the parts associated that fail

Most cars that old, have non-functional parking brakes because they DIDN'T get used.  Seized and rusted parts as a result.   Ever hear "don't pull the e-brake, it's old and they might seize"

It's very simple.   You are NOT going to get them to replace your e-brake pedal with a part that no longer is produced, on a vehicle that is past the life expectancy of it's original parking brakes anyways, especially since 99% of people don't use parking brakes anyways, and you cannot prove that the failure is due to use, or a lack of use, because you don't have all of the history on the vehicle.

Get over it.   You want your parking brake to work?  pm me, paypal me $50, and I'll send you a complete known good freshly cleaned up and regreased and painted, but USED, with no warranty expressed or implied, parking break pedal assembly.

More tap dancing, smoke and mirrors, etc. ad nauseaum. Since you called out a bet Oyaji-san, and you state "I am certain they will honor the recall by some means, which may go well beyond simple replacement of the defective pawl", I'll bet they won't do squat. Make the bet easy on yourself. Meanwhile, as you are thinking of another semi-clever repartee, here is some listening enjoyment just for you. One of my all time favorites:

I just about had a hernia listening to this while reading your post.   too good.  Just. too. good.

There is no bet.   You are wrong, they are not going to help.

as far as Chrysler goes, the MJ was a bastard son they never wanted.   That is why it's dead.   Their official response on things they don't want to deal with is "tough".   Try and warranty or get decent tech on a vehicle as new as an 05 liberty CRD.   They don't cover sh*t for you and never will.

sounds like you're on the free things bandwagon to me.  

Oyaji, you must be off your absolute rockers with some sort of liberal expectation of free sh*t.

Here's the deal;

Your truck is old.   not a single MJ is younger than 20 years.

Most cars that old don't have functional parking brakes, unless someone either A.) used them, or B.) replaced the parts associated that fail

Most cars that old, have non-functional parking brakes because they DIDN'T get used.  Seized and rusted parts as a result.   Ever hear "don't pull the e-brake, it's old and they might seize"

It's very simple.   You are NOT going to get them to replace your e-brake pedal with a part that no longer is produced, on a vehicle that is past the life expectancy of it's original parking brakes anyways, especially since 99% of people don't use parking brakes anyways, and you cannot prove that the failure is due to use, or a lack of use, because you don't have all of the history on the vehicle.

Get over it.   You want your parking brake to work?  pm me, paypal me $50, and I'll send you a complete known good freshly cleaned up and regreased and painted, but USED, with no warranty expressed or implied, parking break pedal assembly.

Pat, this guy doesn't even have an MJ. Everything else you said is spot on. After they get over laughing, Chrysler will require documented maintenance records for the full history of the reported vehicle pertaining to the parking brake assembly and all associated components as per the FSM for every person making a recall claim. Can anyone provide those? Maybe a meticulous original owner; that's it.

As far as the bet, this guy will never define the terms of his bet. Until he does, no bet. I'll pony up if and when he does, but it will never happen. The endless tap dancing will continue.

Guys like this come and go on the forum all the time. While Oyaji-san provides some interesting information occasionally, I see very little practical value.

As far as the bet, this guy will never define the terms of his bet. Until he does, no bet. I'll pony up if and when he does, but it will never happen. The endless tap dancing will continue.

The only tap-dancing being done here is by you. I don't see how the terms of the wager can be any more clear. You quoted JeepcoMJ and agreed, calling it an "amusing" "exercise in futility" when he said:

"... and realize the fact that NO ONE honors a recall on a 22-23 year old vehicle."

I wager that a safety recall will be honored, regardless of how much time has passed. That as plain as I can make it. You hold that makers are free of such responsibility if a vehicle is too old.

The only thing left to agree upon are the stakes. Since this is over the Internet and I don't see any way for the winner to collect tangible assets, it seems we should agree on something that can be accomplished here on this forum. What would you suggest?

Well this has turned into quite a messy thread... I thought this was supposed to be a friendly forum to help one another...

Anyway, since there's so much debate on something no one here has tested, let me ride up to my local stealership sometime in the coming weeks and test out how far I get.  I'll let you guys know how it goes so we can get back to the main point of this thread.  Until then, can everybody just get along?  This seems hardly worth the back and forth $#!&.