A Copy Of The Parking Brake Recall?

I have dealt with Chrysler's warranty and recalls more than most.

Whether they are liable or responsible for replacing parking brakes under a safety recall that is 27 years old DOES NOT MATTER.   What matters is that they have deeper pockets with lawyers on retainer, and are going to tell you to shove it, because they know you drive a 20-something year old POS and don't have the money to get a lawyer to argue.  and you'd lose anyways.

Oyaji, I wager that you've never dealt with Chrysler.   Don, want to place a bet?   $.50 sound fair?  I value the lack of foresight at that range.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this has turned into quite a messy thread... I thought this was supposed to be a friendly forum to help one another...

Anyway, since there's so much debate on something no one here has tested, let me ride up to my local stealership sometime in the coming weeks and test out how far I get.  I'll let you guys know how it goes so we can get back to the main point of this thread.  Until then, can everybody just get along?  This seems hardly worth the back and forth $#!&.

It has indeed - but it is worthwhile if it helps spread the word that you don't have to "just keep your mouth shut and your head down" and quietly accept that "no means no" when you are owed service.

I look forward to hearing details of your experience when you hit up your dealer for recall remediation. :)

If you want this done, try a dealer, but they're going to tell you no.

Then you're going to have to get on the phone with Chrysler direct to try and solve it, and they're going to say "no parts, no service, and there is no recall on your brake setup" because that is for 86 only.

Chrysler has no records of MJ production numbers.  It's laughable that anyone here thinks that there will be information on whether or not your MJ had the recall done to it, much less expect them to hold up to it.

Try calling AMC.   you'd have the same luck...they don't exist to say no.

Don and Pat can't figure out the difference between warranty and recall ..

Actually, we can.   And they don't cover the MJ for ANYTHING.

Go out, tell a dealer you have a pinto and the gas tank has exploded.   It's a known issue.   Know what they will do?  laugh at you.   it's too old.

Go out and tell a Yamaha dealer that your mint condition 1981 SRX with 300 miles has blown the bottom end.   Know what they will do?  laugh at you.

Recalls have a shelf life and timeframe in which to act on them.    That time has passed.

If you want this done, try a dealer, but they're going to tell you no.

Then you're going to have to get on the phone with Chrysler direct to try and solve it, and they're going to say "no parts, no service, and there is no recall on your brake setup" because that is for 86 only.

Chrysler has no records of MJ production numbers.  It's laughable that anyone here thinks that there will be information on whether or not your MJ had the recall done to it, much less expect them to hold up to it.

Try calling AMC.   you'd have the same luck...they don't exist to say no.

The dealer probably will say "no". That does not release the parent company from responsibility.

It is not necessary to get on the phone with Chrysler - email works too. If you read the whole thread you will see it has been done - successfully - but only after first getting 2 denials. Before service is completed, more escalation may well be required.

No one in this thread ever said there was a Comanche parking brake recall for anything besides the 1986 model. Go back and read the thread again.

It doesn't matter that Chrysler has no records of MJ production numbers. When they bought AMC they became responsible for it. A certain base level of record keeping is required by statute. If Chrysler failed to maintain AMC's records, that is not the fault of the vehicle owners and does not release Chrysler from responsibility for safety recalls.

I don't doubt that Chrysler will try to dodge responsibility: they have done so as was already evidenced in this thread. In fact I would not be at all surprised for them to do so in every similar case that comes before them. But if they adopt that strategy as a corporate policy to drive away claims for remediation of a safety recall, they can get into some serious trouble. Not just financial trouble from paying settlements, either, but also the kind that sends people to jail.

Don and Pat can't figure out the difference between warranty and recall ..

Actually, we can.   And they don't cover the MJ for ANYTHING.

Go out, tell a dealer you have a pinto and the gas tank has exploded.   It's a known issue.   Know what they will do?  laugh at you.   it's too old.

Go out and tell a Yamaha dealer that your mint condition 1981 SRX with 300 miles has blown the bottom end.   Know what they will do?  laugh at you.

Recalls have a shelf life and timeframe in which to act on them.    That time has passed.

You are doing readers a disservice by spreading misinformation.

You really don't know what you are talking about. I do, because not only do I have special background in a related field (as some readers have doubtless guessed by now), but also because I can be bothered to search - here, let me Google that for you:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=automotive+safety+recall+time+limit

As far as the bet, this guy will never define the terms of his bet. Until he does, no bet. I'll pony up if and when he does, but it will never happen. The endless tap dancing will continue.

The only tap-dancing being done here is by you. I don't see how the terms of the wager can be any more clear. You quoted JeepcoMJ and agreed, calling it an "amusing" "exercise in futility" when he said:

"... and realize the fact that NO ONE honors a recall on a 22-23 year old vehicle."

I wager that a safety recall will be honored, regardless of how much time has passed. That as plain as I can make it. You hold that makers are free of such responsibility if a vehicle is too old.

The only thing left to agree upon are the stakes. Since this is over the Internet and I don't see any way for the winner to collect tangible assets, it seems we should agree on something that can be accomplished here on this forum. What would you suggest?

Interesting night last. An elderly neighbor lady called my wife around midnight complaining of chest pains and we took her to the hospital. Turned out to be a false alarm, and she's fine, but had to stay overnight.

Back to the subject below.  

... and realize the fact that NO ONE honors a recall on a 22-23 year old vehicle."

The terms of this bet are way too vague and need to be quantified. As stated above, Oyaji-san could drag up a recall that was honored decades after the vehicle's manufactured date that pertained to anything. For example a recall the Stanley Steamer company issued for replacement of possibly defective boiler pressure relief valves on the car's boiler.

We are betting on the outcome of this specific recall, a potential failure of the parking brake mechanism in an 86 Jeep Comanche, nothing else. Honoring is defined as Chrysler repairing or replacing the assembly, or offering a mutually agreed upon cash settlement to all claimants of this specific recall, as in a class action suit.

I'd love to see someone get "honored" to their satisfaction for this specific recall, but Chrysler has a difficult time keeping up with their current recalls, let alone one from 27 years ago. I'm done with this now........

I am as well.
The outcome will be as I said.

I just spent 4 weeks getting things taken care of on an 06 liberty diesel.

went to dealer running funny.   They honored the recall on fuel filter head, and replaced it.   still running funny.   ZERO further diagnosis, they simply took the head off.

Had they stopped and actually looked, they would have seen 14 of 16 rockers had failed, 12 of which had 1/8" of play in rollers, 2 of which had seized rollers.   the valves weren't opening, and cams were bad because of the two seized ones.

threw away head gasket, which is necessary to easily determine necessary gasket thickness on a wet sleeve interference motor.

told owner to come pick up apart, they wanted to wash hands of it.   bypassing dealership, Chrysler's official response was "tough luck, we can't be bothered by this"

owner sold it to his brother.   brother brought it to me.   We could fix the old motor, for the tune of $4800 in new parts with rockers, lash adjusters, cams, timing belt with tensioner, idlers, water pump, and we still would have to buy or rent timing tools, and replace all of the hoses and lines that the dealership lost or bent (turbo lines, injector lines, charge cooler hoses).

Went to dealer.  New reman motor is $5400 with $3000 core and 3 year warranty.   Have them pull parts list from the guy in charge of Mopar crate engines.   Supposed to come with ALL of those parts and more.  literally drop in.

shows up, bare bones longblock with valve cover, no timing, just lockout tools to keep @ TDC.  no trans adapter, no timing covers, no injectors, no exhaust manifold, oil cooler, EGR, lines, intake elbow, throttle body, etc. etc.

that is NOT what we bought.  We bought with the understanding that it had all of those parts.

Know what Chrysler's official response was?    "tough, that's what you paid for".   To return we would have to eat more than the difference of the cost, so we had to go with it.

I got the dealership to honor some of the parts list, bypassing Chrysler.   They gave me all of the expensive timing parts, glow plugs, gasket set, etc. for free.   But that wasn't enough to cover the difference of labor costs.

All in all, it was a bad deal.    We got screwed, and the dealership helped, where Chryslers OFFICIAL RESPONSE is "tough"

This has been repeated many, many times by CRD owners.     This is a vehicle that isn't yet 10 years old.

Good luck getting them to honor anything here.   they won't.

^^^

Nice story, unfortunately typical of "the dealership experience". But that story has nothing whatsoever to do with a safety recall. You still don't seem to get the difference.

I don't doubt that other dealerships will take a similar tack. If/as/when they do, it will be time to contact NHTSA, after which it is just a matter of time before the recall is honored.

As far as the bet, this guy will never define the terms of his bet. Until he does, no bet. I'll pony up if and when he does, but it will never happen. The endless tap dancing will continue.

The only tap-dancing being done here is by you. I don't see how the terms of the wager can be any more clear. You quoted JeepcoMJ and agreed, calling it an "amusing" "exercise in futility" when he said:

"... and realize the fact that NO ONE honors a recall on a 22-23 year old vehicle."

I wager that a safety recall will be honored, regardless of how much time has passed. That as plain as I can make it. You hold that makers are free of such responsibility if a vehicle is too old.

The only thing left to agree upon are the stakes. Since this is over the Internet and I don't see any way for the winner to collect tangible assets, it seems we should agree on something that can be accomplished here on this forum. What would you suggest?

Interesting night last. An elderly neighbor lady called my wife around midnight complaining of chest pains and we took her to the hospital. Turned out to be a false alarm, and she's fine, but had to stay overnight.

Back to the subject below.  

... and realize the fact that NO ONE honors a recall on a 22-23 year old vehicle."

The terms of this bet are way too vague and need to be quantified. As stated above, Oyaji-san could drag up a recall that was honored decades after the vehicle's manufactured date that pertained to anything. For example a recall the Stanley Steamer company issued for replacement of possibly defective boiler pressure relief valves on the car's boiler.

We are betting on the outcome of this specific recall, a potential failure of the parking brake mechanism in an 86 Jeep Comanche, nothing else. Honoring is defined as Chrysler repairing or replacing the assembly, or offering a mutually agreed upon cash settlement to all claimants of this specific recall, as in a class action suit.

I'd love to see someone get "honored" to their satisfaction for this specific recall, but Chrysler has a difficult time keeping up with their current recalls, let alone one from 27 years ago. I'm done with this now........

I actually had in mind driving my brother's beater 1989 CRX (he is here for the hollidays with it, he burned an exhaust valve on the trip and drove the last 150 miles only running on 3 cylinders... 300k on the engine and never a single valve adjustment - what can I say, he is an artist *lol*) down to the Honda dealer, videotaping them honoring the safety recall on the seatbelts, and posting the vid here after the holidays. It would certainly demolish your agreement of the assertion that "that NO ONE honors a recall on a 22-23 year old vehicle."

Resolution of a defective parking brake pawl safety recall on 1986 MJs will take longer, even though Chrysler has officially recognized their responsibility in an email to our fellow member, onlyinajeep726, right here in this thread (see post #59 on page 3). Let's just wait and see then, shall we?

Still need to settle the stakes. ;)

oyaji,

Get the eff over yourself.    you might get somewhere, but rather than sit and talk about it, prove it.   Handle it, and get back to us.   Until then, you really don't need to keep saying "it could be done"

nothing can be done until it's proven that it can.    The negativity is over the fact of the matter being that it's old, it's not a safety recall (maybe you should figure that one out) because, if it was, it would have been over more than the 1986 model year.

BTW, I have owned 29 comanches in my life.   NOT ONE had a bad parking brake pedal.   This isn't a common issue.

oyaji,

Get the eff over yourself.    you might get somewhere, but rather than sit and talk about it, prove it.   Handle it, and get back to us.   Until then, you really don't need to keep saying "it could be done"

nothing can be done until it's proven that it can.    The negativity is over the fact of the matter being that it's old, it's not a safety recall (maybe you should figure that one out) because, if it was, it would have been over more than the 1986 model year.

BTW, I have owned 29 comanches in my life.   NOT ONE had a bad parking brake pedal.   This isn't a common issue.

If you are not going to go read for yourself any of the uncounted links on the search page I posted for you that state that safety recalls have no time limit, kindly shut up and let people who want to use this forum for help in getting resolution of this issue continue without your interference.

Thank you.

Not on my 1990. Was on my 1986 though. 

My 90 does pop off after setting it as have other MJs I've had. I had a total of 13 demos at the dealership which I drove for 7500 miles max, and then the 86 and now the 90 which I own. Both 86 and 90 had the same issue. 

oyaji,

If you are not going to go read for yourself the link I posted for you that safety recalls have no time limit, kindly shut up and let people who want to use this forum for help in getting resolution of this issue continue without your interference.

Thank you.

LMFAO

YOU ARE SPENDING MORE TIME TRYING TO GET SOMETHING FOR NOTHING than it would to take to GO TO A JUNKYARD and GET A GOOD ONE.

You have 405 posts.   You don't own a Comanche.    To my knowledge, you don't have ANY real experience with Comanche.   You don't have a history on this site.    You are trying to prove yourself in a fictitious display of wisdom on something you have know actual facts on.   The information you are piling up is all relative.    As-in, it matters if you can get someone at Chrysler to take a serious gander at the issue, and honor it, on something that is NOT a problem.

There were roughly 250,000 comanches made, at a best guess, based off of the fact that they were built on the same assembly line as the Cherokee.    There is no real solid information on that.

Again, at best guess, I would imagine there are under 50,000 of them still on the road in the continental U.S.

Of those 50,000 best guess on the road, if we look at the FACT that I have owned 29 comanches, and all 29 had functional pedal assemblies, with zero issues, ranging from 86 to 92 production date, we get down to the FACT that the safety recall, as stated, and dated, applies to the 86 model year.

At that rate, we get to the FACT that you are doing nothing but blowing smoke on a recall that CAN'T be honored because the new parts DON'T exist, CAN'T be had, and WON'T be honored, because it would cost more to retool to reproduce them for the oh, under 1000 on the road that have the problem with a failed parking break pedal, than it would to either A.) say eff off, or B.) Tell you to try and take them to court.    

It would take their lawyers (who are on retainer) under a day to pour more money against the person with the claim than it would cost to retool to reproduce the part in question.

YOU are not benefitting anyone.   I am laying the grounds here for the FACT that of those of you with issues with your parking brake, you are going to need to band together and petition for the parts, as a group... and sue them for the parts, as a group

We all know that similar issues have arisen, such as recalls on the KJ CRD, or damages ensued on work done by dealerships, which IS different than a safety recall, but similar in principle to getting Chrysler to do what is right.

We should see from that, that the people with issues have utterly failed to band together and handle the issue.

Realistically, there are probably under 20 people on this site in need of parking brake pedal assemblies.   Of those 20, half are probably just jumping on the bandwagon and don't even use their parking brakes.

My suggestion:    Get off your lazy butts and go to a junkyard, or buy them from someone parting out their MJ.

Oyaji, buy a Comanche, THEN start acting like you know something.

Similar parking brake recall for Wranglers:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=02V041000

The solution:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-1995-JEEP-WRANGLER-CJ-YJ-PARK-EMERGENCY-BRAKE-LEVER-PEDAL-ASSEMBLY-NEW-/251390747369

When this futility exercise finally dies, as it will, adapt the Wrangler unit to your MJ. I'd be surprised if there is much difference between the two.

I think this subject has been pretty well pro and conned to death. Why don't everybody just knock off with the yaks and one of you take your '86 to a dealer and report back on the results. I have four '86 MJ'S and I don't care if they will honor a recall for me or not. Brakes don't work? I fix 'em.

Your VIN is NOT in Chryslers system at all. It comes up as VIN not found. With this, like was said, time to go up the ladder of Chrysler managment.

That's because an '86 is an AMC. Chrysler didn't start picking up VIN numbers until the 1988 model year, IIRC, and often the information reflected in a Chrysler-generated build sheet for an '88 didn't even remotely correspond to the vehicle. However, Chrysler bought AMC, so Chrysler bought the recall liability.

I just want my parking break to work.......

go to a junkyard and take the time to pull one.   it's going to be less of a headache.

Lol. That would require a local yard that has an MJ...MJs are pretty rare in Ohio IMO..Ive only ever seen 4 in person. The 1st one I saw I bought :brows: