Project Comanche Chief

Good luck Bob... WV is starting to open up Off Road parks.....  expecially in the southern part of the state where you start seeing rocks...... and appreciate the complement whitemanche..... those RC pics fool me all he time...... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to fix my gauge problem on Sunday along with my 12v adapter and I rewired the CB.  On Monday I spent about 6 hours building a template and cutting lexan to fit my back window.  I was luck enough not to crack it and even got the holes drilled without any damage.  I still need to remove the window to tint, seal it up, and cover the split between the bars......  The hard part was getting the window around the bars.... since the bars go through at an angle it wasn't just as easy as using a holesaw.  That's one of the reason's I decided to make the cut in the center of the bars.

Appreciate it TMW..... let me know if you have any questions.... I'll be glad to help any way I can.

Was able to work a little yesterday and I did some modifications..... I originally drilled a mounting point every 9 inches but decided that wasn't going to be enough so I marked and drilled for every 3.  Then I cut out a 2 inch wide piece of lexan and cut it to cover the split between the bars..... then I drilled more holes.  My intention now is to paint the inside of the seam covers with gloss black as well as the outside 2 inch rim of the the glass.  I decided against the tint because of how I have to bend the lexan to get it in between the bars.  All in all I had to source 72 stainless nuts and bolts to mount the window.  The worse part is the drilling.... each of the 72 holes had to be drilled 4 times with increasingly larger bits as not to "Catch" too much material and break, chip or crack it.  I also got around to splitting my Headliner and reinstalling it..... had to do quite a bit of trimming and I'm still not sure how I'm going to cover the seam but I think it looks better than the bear roof......

Thanks man.... if you look back on the post you'll see how I mounted the seats.... they are from an 04 Grand Cherokee..... I really like them but they do sit a little higher than my worn out bench......

Oh yes, remember now...you used a 97+ Cherokee donor and modified the floor with the donor section. That was a good approach and might be the direction I go witih mine. So, the Grand Cherokee seats just look really nice...I thought they had the electric controls on the side, might be able to lower them if they have the up/down feature.

The lower mounts are also from an XJ so they are manual....  I just unbolted the WJ lower mount and bolted in the XJ one..... I'm going to replace the seat controls on the side with a light..... this way I can hit a toggle switch and light up my entry / door jam area.

Had a buddy set up my new front gears after detonating them last month at IVY....... I was also able to finished up my back window, I urethaned the plexiglass into the opening then I cut the lip off the original rubber molding and using that to frame the window...... I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

Might I suggest some serious tail light protection.... they look very exposed for a trail rig!

i can vouch for that. ive busted several and my current set both are cracked but still in one piece. with the supply running out, i think i might go LEDs when my back up sets are gone too

It's true I have gotten lucky, if you look right above the drivers side light you'll see a dent from backing into a rock.....  I still have the line from where I Bobbed the bed so I'm going to just bend up some 16 guage steel weld the opening flush grind it all flat and hang an Oval LED in the back.  I'm thinking of loosing the tailgate and building one that holds my tire and swings open...... I thought it might be cool to integrate the tail lights into that..... kinda recess them some to keep them out of harms way.

I was able to get the new front axle in yesterday and took it for a test drive..... sure is alot quieter and smoother with gears that aren't missing any teeth.  Now all I have to do is install the front locker and diff skid and I should be ready to go.......  I also mounted the Army container My buddy gave me into the bed..... after some sanding and a quick coat of paint all I had to do was cut a hole and a few slots and the spare Driveshaft and Axles slid right in.   I also mounted up the new spare rim and was able to get back in the truck and strapped down..... here are a few pics.......  I also found a pic on our website that my buddy just uploaded that I thought I'd include..... for anyone in the vicinity of Southern West Virginia you should come and check out IVY.....

mvusse is correct and helmets are required for all riders... if you look you can see my son and My helmets hanging from the roll bar.  It's also important to note that on all Double Black trails "Roll over Protection" is also required......

38's are probably as big as I would ever consider going on my MJ just because I want to keep it street legal.... or at least streetable.....  Mods will include plating the entire frame, upgrading the front axle to a HP dana 44 and of course talking the wife into 1800.00 dollars worth of tires..... but for now I just want to enjoy driving and wheeling it and not get caught up in the "whats my next mod" game that tends to always be going on in my head....