Project Comanche Chief

I'm always looking for an excuse to ride..... chase my club link back to our site, we always post up big rides in advance to give everyone time to plan.  From what I've seen of your wheeling pictures you'll fit right it....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent 4 days in Harlan last week and had a great time.... however on the 3rd day the Power Steering Pump failed making an attempt at the Lions Den impossible.....  Here are a few pics and I'll try and get some video's up later in the week.

Working the waterfall.... it was wet though and I couldn't stay out of that dang tree

13847827345_244c8e7222_b_d.jpg

Working intimidator backwards

13848202734_2d475d534c_b_d.jpg

Had to use a lot of throttle but I made it out of Lower Damnation without using the hook

13848239354_916063cf55_b_d.jpg
13848238964_fedea69353_b_d.jpg
13848240384_edf9c71aca_b_d.jpg
13847889533_d457e96434_b_d.jpg

Poser Pic with a TJ at the upper rock garden

13847893013_260309b379_b_d.jpg

Working Mason Jar.....  my favorite trail of the trip

13848256974_90b3d63287_b_d.jpg
13848138854_91a5cb8b98_b_d.jpg
13847881805_6a35ff2a96_b_d.jpg

On White Tail Crawl ...... right before the Pitman Arm broke... notice the new bedside and B-Pillar Damage from the Upper Rock Garden the day before... .

13847802463_d2b5a7f1b5_b_d.jpg
13847801963_ff99b5950e_b_d.jpg
13848152274_89e3aa66c3_b_d.jpg

No idea.... power steering was gone and as you can see I had the wheels at full left lock.... tried to turn to the right and snap, put the steering off my brothers XJ buggy on my MJ drove to the trailer where I loaded it and then took the steering back to my brother..... took about 45 minutes to swap and load...

that sucks but least you had the xj there to spot ya a part 

upgradeing it or welding it back?

Actually I'll probably downgrade it back to stock.... the arm is a aftermarket 4 inch drop pitman, I went with it to limit TRE roll on my 1 ton steering..... since I don't drive it so much on the road anymore It's not as important.... didn't even think of welding it back....

• 2 weeks later...

Well I pulled the Dana 30 out of the front and started work on my HP Dana 44.  The plan is to remove the C's cut it down to waggy width and weld on new perches, truss and mounts.... I also killed my stock power steering pump in Harlan so it's time to move up to a PSC pump.... replace my Dakota Box with a new one and plumb in Hydro assist.  Then I have to remove my rock rails, cut out my rockers and weld in some box tubing.  After that I'll weld in some frame stiffiners, bolt up a set of adapters in the rear and hang on  a set of 38 SX's.  Then I'll be ready for Harlan again next year. 

• 2 weeks later...

I knocked the factory ones out my first trip through IVY so I just made a template with cardboard, then I cut the pattern out of 16 gauge steel.  After that I took some regular old sheetmetal screws and attached them to the truck.  Next I bought four 3 inch round trailer lights for 20.00 dollars.  Borrowed a 3 inch hole saw from my brother to make the openings.  Then I just wired the parking lights to the top two and my brake/signals to the bottom ones. Eventually I'll add a backup light but I was driving to the trailhead so I need something on the back to keep people from running over me.  I had maybe a couple hours in it....

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a set of 3/4 tread 38.5x12.50x15 Super Swamper SX's on DIY beadlocks today..... Now all I have to do is put 2 inches of lift back on ole' Chief and finish up that front axle..... It's been a good day.... :-)

I've been looking for months and yesterday if finally paid off... a 1979 Ford F250 HP dana 44.... this thing has more webbing than it's F150 counterpart and has 1/2 thick, 3 inch od tubes.  I'll be cutting it down to waggy width and everything from the knuckle out will be 10 bolt corperate.  In the rear I'll just swap out the 5 on 4.5 spacers on the 8.8 for 5 on 4.5 to 6 lug spacers. Can't wait to start welding....

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry none yet I'm waiting on my machinist buddy to finish up my truss... he's also cutting down the axle and welding everything up. Traded him my old 36 SX's and beadlocks for all the brackets and labor. Can't wait to get it under ole Chief.

Finally got around to comparing my new to me 38.5 SX’s against my old 36’s…. with both on Beadlocks and aired to 12psi the 38.5’s are about 2 1/4th inches taller. I’ll be raising my MJ up 2 inches to accommodate the new tires so that along with tires should raise my skids and rock rails about 3 inches.

Here’s a few pics of my new axle…. Hope to get it back in the next few weeks.

These are the waggy axles I’m going to run until I can afford a set of RCV’s

I’m not sure I’m loving the Trucker Ladies but they were a package deal with the Tires so I’ll run them until I can get some new rings cut.

With all these swampers laying around you’d think my MJ wouldn’t be floating on Jackstands…..