Project Comanche Chief

It seems like forever since I've been in the woods.....But when I came out of Harlan in the spring with another busted Dana 30 I knew it was time to upgrade.... Even though its not yet ready for any hard core wheeling it is nice to get to drive it again, and especially see it sitting somewhere other than where it was.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks MancheKid I'm really glad it's off Jackstands and back in the woods.....

Hit the local trails yesterday for a Shakedown for our trip at the end of the month to IVY…. Plan was to make sure all my suspension geometry for the new axle as well as my bumps and straps were working. Everything worked well except for the steering…. Pump whined all day and it had a bunch of hard spots in it. Here are a few shameless poser pics……

Put a new PS Pump on (toasted mine on the shakedown run) as well as some JCR bushing to limit my ball joint roll.  Got the back bumped and tonight I should get the front bump finished up as well as a few misc items...... gotta get busy I'm pulling out for IVY at 6am Friday morning.  We're doing a 2 day (Friday and Saturday) along with a couple nights of camping..... nothing like hanging out around the fire talking Jeeps.........    :thumbsup:

Thanks Wade... and yea I was more than happy with how the geometry worked.  Still gotta get the steering over the knuckle and get my hydro assist mounted up but other than that I think I'm over the hump on the this upgrade.

Made it down to IVY over the weekend for 2 full days in the woods….. the weather was perfect (maybe a little cold overnight) the company was awesome and my MJ made it out without any breakage. Couldn’t have asked for a better weekend. Here are a few pics.

Here's a video of me running Ladder last weekend. I've tried it 3 times before but have never gotten through without breaking something. It's a little long and I didn't add any music so you can hear the bashing the MJ takes as is picks it's way through this trail.

Here's a video of my buddy Zack running Butchers Block... He hasn't wheeled a double black before so I gave him the keys and told him not to scratch it. The video didn't turn out very good because I was filming into the morning sun.... that and I was trying to spot and walk backwards all at the same time..... :)

spend a few minutes checking out what southern WV has to offer our community. Everything from Stocker Friendly to Full on Rock Buggy.

Lol. That's actually where I'm from. Ronceverte in Greenbrier. All my clan is Hickman, Evans, Oscar and Stanley. We used to run a place called Rock Camp. And a trail up by the Greenbrier river behind the hospital.

Always a pleasure to meet a fellow Mountaineer.... I'd never heard of Ronceverte so I looked it up on Google and see your down by White Sulfur Springs..... Back when I was in the Navy I drove through there all the time (stationed in Norfolk VA).  I always enjoyed driving that stretch of 64 between Beckley and Winchester....  :thumbsup: 

Really cool.... it's on my list to do a rear winch but I want to get a front suck down done first.  I figured I'll make the rear winch do double duty as recovery and suck down..... I like how you mounted it....Now you got my wheels turning.... I could mount it midlevel like you did and it would be directly over the axle and the cable would run out the back under the rear bumper.... :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to finishing up the tube doors yesterday.  The latches are just factory XJ I robbed off one of my brothers junkers, the black handles are from an unknown source but found them lying on my brothers work bench..... Not sure I'm digging the small inside bars so I'll probably end up cutting them out and doing something different.  

Spent the afternoon today wiring up some switches that will allow me to manually shift my Asian transmission. Took it out and did some driving around and it worked perfectly.... been wanting to do this mod since I got my first Jeep 5 years ago.... :D

There has been alot of them roll through the garage. I think I got pics of them all.

Mary Jane and Sarge in Wayne National forest.

This jeep ended up scrap cause of title problems.

This one was just too rotten for anything but parts.

Dougs truck

The Bear

Copper

and chief

Sure has been alot of MJ's,  :thumbsup:

where do you usually trail in wayne???

I don't know the name but you run north out of Marietta for about 12 miles and you'll see a covered bridge on the right.  A new bridge is just past it so you hang a right then as soon as you cross the bridge you take another right into a National Park Campground.  We usually camp there and the access is on the back side of the campground.  I think one of the trails is called Basher.

• 2 weeks later...

Headed down to IVY over the weekend to participate in a Toys for Tots ride.  It had rained the entire week prior to and on and off the day of the event.  Needless to say it was muddy so we didn't take alot of pics.  We did have over 30 rigs show up and we collected a ton of toys. I also won a hat, tshirt and 100.00 gift card from Badd @$$ Jeeps.  Score!!!!

jerryeat.jpg

jerryrocks.jpg