Project Comanche Chief

Got around to doing a little work to the Dana 44 today…. Man it was hot…. But I managed to remove all the brackets as well as the Inner C’s. Then I measured 12 times and made my cut marks for the Waggy axles. Now it’s just off for the truss and some mounts and I’ll be ready to get it geared and under the MJ.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Brother is the fabricator in the family and he did the rear bumper.... what I know is I bobbed the bed 6 inches then took it to him and he built the bumper and slid back into the frame rails and tied it in...... as for the bed sliders I just had a buddy bend up some 3/16 plate and I bolted them down through the top.  Simple and easy..... I can get you some more info if you'd like.

I noticed you had US Army listed and from you Avatar that looks like maybe a Hobby Shop onbase.  I recently retired from the Navy but always enjoyed going to the Hobby Shop and working on whatever project I had at the time.  Thanks for serving.

So I spent a couple hours this evening cutting down the tubes and mocking up the c’s on the shortened tubes. After some quick measurements I’m now positive I’ll have to remove some of the cast spring perch on the short side to make room for the coil bucket.….

So I went ahead and cut 2 inches off the short side of the cast spring perch and cleaned up all the sharp edges. I just chucked up a new cutoff wheel and sectioned it into 3 pieces….. this should allow plenty of room for the coil bucket.

Not yet but I'll be welding in stiffeners forward of the cab before installing the axle.

Took a trip over to the guy doing my welding to see what the brown truck brought…..

Headed over to the guy who built my cage to weld up my new set of beadlocks…. Worse thing about going up in tire size is you have to change absolutely everything…. A few pics of the process.

Glad to meet a fellow Mountaineer..... :D   we wheel alot on the Hatfield and McCoy trail system just south of Charleston..... they just opened up one park and we're lobbying to have them open up some of the others to full size vehicles.  For those who have the time type "Ivy Branch" or "Hatfield and McCoy Trail System" into youtube and spend a few minutes checking out what southern WV has to offer our community.  Everything from Stocker Friendly to Full on Rock Buggy.

• 4 weeks later...

So the waggy axles I bought turned out to be 72-79 passengers drop instead of 80-91 drivers drop so I've been mulling over what to do.  Lots of options from JY stockers for 50 each, Chromoly with CTM's for a cool grand or just bite the bullet and buy a set of RCV's and get it over with.  I called up RCV performance last night and the guy I talked to said no extra charge for using a Waggy inner with a ford outer..... however the bill was still 1,400.00 dollars for the set.  Since the RCV's are 30 spline outer instead of 19 I had 2 choices for hubs.... RCV's slugs for 200.00 or a set of Warn Premiums for about the same.  It doesn't take a mathematician to realize I was getting in deep in a hurry.... plus I still need a front locker and hydro assist.  So on the way to work this morning I discussed with the wife going to the bank for the fundage..... I get a modest allowance every month to support my habit but If I waited on that money to compound it would be way after Christmas before I was finished.  So I now plan to go straight to RCV's with the assistance of the local bank ........ As bad as it hurts to open up the wallet, it's gonna be nice to know as long as I stay under a 40 inch tire those guys at RCV will replace a broken shaft no questions asked.... and they will even pick up the shipping.

Your right about the spares.... I thought long and hard about building in a fuseable link..... and a hub would probably be the first thing to go but that's why I'm staying with lockin-lockouts instead of going with the slugs.  I know the stock axles will never hold up to 38's.... I see people breaking chromoly stubs pretty regular..... I just hate to keep buying 130.00 axles.  So I figure if I break a RCV with my 38's I'll be one of the only people to ever do it and that will be worth the short day just for the story and video that would go with it..... but I appreciate anyone's experience or just thoughts on the subject. 

Ordered my RCV's and slugs last night..... wow..... those bad boys aren't cheap.  I was able to get the pinion angle set as well as the inner C's and coil buckets all mounted up last night.  Now just to finish up the truss and weld on the upper mounts and I'm ready for a Detroit and a set of 488's to get installed next weekend.

Drove up to Canton Ohio today and picked up a new Detroit Full Case Locker for my new front axle as well as a Riddler Diff cover. Other than some new calipers I think I'm done buying stuff.... now it's time for the fun part.... assembly.