Project Comanche Chief

Just wanted to say hello and post up a couple pics of my 88 MJ also know as Chief. I've always wanted an MJ but was stuck in a XJ until this Comanche Chief turned up and I bought it. After about a year I finally have it to where it moves around and last weekend it made it's way into the woods for the first time. It's scheduled for paint next month and the only thing I have left to do is hang the 98 doors, bolt on the cowl induction hood and mount my new front bumper (this one is borrowed). But first I'll put it through it's paces in Harlan KY the end of the the month. The truck sits at about 7.5 inches of lift on 36 inch TSL SX's. I installed an 8.8 with Spartan Locker out back and a Dana 30 with an Elocker up front filled with 4:88 gears. Here are a few "Poser Shots" I took before it's maiden run last weekend. I don't post alot but I've searched and found alot of information here that's made this build much easier so thanks to everyone for that.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jeeper, I didn't spin but from the pic you can see the front tire starting to fill up with dirt as it began to loose traction. But with the locker in the back it helped push the front at the same speed as the rear keeping the loss of traction to a minimum.

You mentioned you've swapped doors in another post?  Did you just replace doors or change from 80's style to 97'+ syple doors?  I want to do this but don't know how to attack changing the door strikers / rear catch....

you're Manche' is Huge and looking good !

I changed over to 97+ doors and swapped the strikers. I searched but couldn't find alot of info on this but did find a random post that had you use the existing hole. You unscrew the striker and use that for one hole and then drill another. Since I wasn't going to paint till after our Harlan trip I just unbolted the new style striker and screwed my old one back in so I could mount my old doors. I was never really happy with how it looked so when I hang them again I plan to drill the spot rivets out of the old striker plate and tack in the new style one and weld a patch in to cover the hole. Another Option I'm considering is just cutting out an entire section of the door jam and welding it in. So long story short just take the new striker and bolt the top bolt through the existing hole where you unscrewed the old striker. then line things up as best as you can and drill the bottom hole.

My bad....I had planned to bumpstop but when I flexed it for the first time I realized the shock bottoms out and keeps my tire from getting into my fenders.  In this pic you can see how tall the shock is compared to my tire so for now no I don't scrub at all.  I will still end up adding a bumpstop but for now no rubbing on the front or back.

Image Not Found

thats awesome man, that worked out in a weird way i guess haha... also idk if your planning on doing a paint job or anything, but if i were you and you do a paint job, id stick to the same style, same colors and all and keep the comanche chief thing, so awesome, really man, your truck is one of my biggest inspirations, yours and bluecomanche88's are the two top ones for me.

Thanks, I hoped to get it painted before my Harlan Trip next weekend but I ran out of time. The first thing I'll do when I get back is yank the dash and harness and install a 98 Dash. I already have the doors and I've sourced a 2000 Dakota Bench to finish off the inside.

Then I'll hang the tailgate and the new hood.... here's a couple pics of my buddy finishing up the primer work (I'm considering painting it Matte black / Matte clear)

I've already bought the paint (Candy Apple Red Base Coat Clear Coat) and my buddy just has to mold in the 98 XJ lights into the bed and she'll be ready. Once the paint cures I'll hang a few decals, the top one will go along the bottom and the one below will hang on the sloped part of the Cowl Induction Hood.

I'm really excited to get it out of the paint booth........

Thanks 88whitemanche, I'm a sucker for decals...... I was able to wire up the front Elocker, install my CB Radio, install my rock rails, and mount up the new beadlock wheels over the weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post up a couple pics of our Harlan Trip over the weekend. The MJ did great and I'm glad to say that other than a clicking u-joint I came out without a scratch. Now that I'm done with that it's time to get Ole Chief ready for paint.

Here's a pick of me working a small obstacle in a creek bed, the scenery was awesome....

Here's a pic of our group taking a break at the entrance of Mason Jar......

Here I am recovering a Toyota out of Rail Bed after it broke a Burfield.

Thanks man..... I've noticed that unless it's a restore or Daily Driver than your rig isn't recieved very well on the Commanche Club.... glad to see a few of us enjoy getting our Jeeps dirty....... 

Totally diggin' what you've got going on. Really reminds me of my old '89 with the mismatched panels.

Any information on the white bobbed MJ in the picture? I like the look of the rear cage/tire carrier.

dude i don't care what anyone says, i love your truck, i was gonna ask you if it was cool to do a similar paint job, not the same, just use yours as a kind of starting point. also PM if you could, wanted to ask you for some help lol. again, amazing truck man, just awesome, and oh yeah, my bud is giving me his roll bar with KC's on it already for free cause i helped him out, oh yeah.

I used to own that White Comanche, it was a basket case so I gave it to my buddy Doug. He Bobbed it added a full cage, aluminum dash and racing seats The drop down tire carrier was added to use up the empty space between the back of the bed and the rear bumper. He's a fab guy (does it for a living) so it's all custom front to back..... he also didn't get to paint before Harlan his is going to be painted Yellow and I've already designed his Mall Rat decals. As for the paint job Marine feel free to make it as similar as you want. In the Navy we had old saying "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery".

Thanks Marine, I retired about 4 years ago and came back home to West Virginia.  Good luck at Paris Island.... keep your eyes forward and your mouth shut and you'll do fine.  Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Checked out a new Offroad Park in Southern WV that will be opening up in July of this year called IVY. Hatfield and McCoy trail system is backing the new park and I have to say I enjoyed it more than an earlier trip to Harlan, KY. Here's a few pics for the guys who wheel their rigs and might be interested in checking it out.

Rained alot the days before this ride and I was on the hook early trying to get up out of a ravine they call ladder

This was my second and luckily last time on the hook.... slid over into a hole and took the hook to keep the shiny side up.....

Working an area called glass

And a random ditch