Project Comanche Chief

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mud is alot of fun but hard on the equipment.... WV also has alot of mud and I spent my first couple years wheeling in it, but then I found Harlan KY and I've learned I would much rather play in the rocks than in the mud.....

• 1 month later...

Got another Offroad park Opening July 6th so me and the guy's headed up to Kings Knob near Barboursville, WV to check it out. This place was designed mostly Bounce Buggies...... Met up with this buggy and rode with him most of the day.

http://www.highcountryoffroad.org/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=2588

But also alot of hill climbs and drop offs... Here is my MJ early in the day getting ready to break over a mountain top.... My brother Jon took this pic because he wanted no part of riding down in the passengers seat.....

http://www.highcountryoffroad.org/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=2583

Here is a pic of me attempting one the Bounce buggy hill climbs, it took me a couple attempts to build up my nerve but I made it on my 3rd attempt. I probably would have backed off that time also but I was so far up I was more afraid of backing off than I was of hitting the steepest part..... and just to complicate matters it had just stopped raining....

http://www.highcountryoffroad.org/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=2576

All in all we had a great time..... if your ever in the area check this place out.....

As for the Build I can't take it to paint until I decide on whether or not to Bob the bed 4 inches...... so please post up your opinions and if possible a quick explanation why......

"Bobbing the bed" is when you cut a portion of the bed out and reweld the bed back together.  This is done mainly to improve departure angle which is exacltly why I'm considering it.  I'm not sure I love the look but do like the fact I will drag less on departure.  If I do this it will only be 4 inches which is all I can gain due to the Shackle limiting the amount I can gain.  Just google "Bobbing the bed" and you'll find a ton of stuff on it.

I'm really not into loosing bed space!

As a alternative to bobbing my scrambler bed, I just shaved the bottom rear for better departure angle.  The tube bumper in the pic is only used on-road.

not really any rear 'bumper', but a custom hitch with plates to slide on on the frame and hitch rails ... I don't have a good digital picture but this gives you a idea...

Rear:

I've been on the fence about my Decal Package.... I know I want something custom but I'm torn between the Comache Chief Decals I posted earlier or these for Honcho that I made a few months ago. So Honcho or Comanche Chief?

Thanks for the input guys.....I'll stay with the Cheif decals which was my earlier decision... but ran across the Honcho stuff and thought I'd get your guy's opinion, also helps that I'm a retired Navy Chief.....

The day I built that hood I didn't even plan to do it, I showed up at my brothers and we were BS'ing and the talk turned to hoods, we started throwing around ideas of how it should be cut, then he threw some lines down and I started cutting. Once we added the side pieces in I took it over to my buddies and he did a few hours of body work and it was done. So I started the day with plans to work on suspension and ended up with a hood. So sorry I didn't even bring my camera that day.......

• 1 month later...

Believe it or not I just sold my hood the other day...... the buddy I sold it to just painted his truck so I'll try and post a pic or two of it..... it really turned out well..... just exactly how I had hoped it would look. We have a new Off Road Park that opened up about an hour and a half away that requires roll over protection for black and double black trails. So I sold off my cowl induction hood and saved a few dollars and now it's time to take the MJ to our resident club cage guy for fitting....... I plan to plagiarize the Zone Off Road Project MJ cage, it may not be exactly the same but it will definitely be my inspiration (hope those guy's don't mind). I'll also add an A-Pillar rub rail that ties into the interior cage through the a pillar and roof that rolls off the back of the cab and turn into the main down bar in my bed cage. Here are a few pics of the stripped interior (after the pic was taken a buddy came by and pulled the windshield and rear glass)....

There has been alot of them roll through the garage. I think I got pics of them all.

Mary Jane and Sarge in Wayne National forest.

This jeep ended up scrap cause of title problems.

This one was just too rotten for anything but parts.

Dougs truck

The Bear

Copper

and chief

Sure has been alot of MJ's,  :thumbsup: