Project Comanche Chief

Great to see all the MJ pics posted up. Seems to be a Club Standard modification to move the front flares up on the fender, fasteners through the outside of the flare and into the fender. Is it a simple modification? Assuming the fender is cut out too for clearance.

WV is God's country, or sumthing like that. Need to get back out there some day...

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WV is steep and offcamber trail riding, I cut them big so we can keep the MJ's as low center of gravity as we can. A big lift in this country is useless, unless your just driving it up and down the road...and what fun is that...LOL  I just cut them and reattach the flares with sheet metal screws they use to attach metal roofing. Jerry dropped Chief off at the cage guy's house yesterday, he should have pics soon.

Started on my cage over the weekend.... finished up the inside but still need to finish the a pillar rub bars and the bed cage.

Here is the rear hoop..... with the support bars

This is the down bar, it has 3 bends and 2 twists and runs from the frame to the rear bar ....

Here is the rear bar in the truck.... check how closely the down bar hugs the passenger side roof.....

This pic showes the upper window bar and center roof bar in place.

Now that everything is tacked in time to drop the cage and weld it up....

Here is the cage with the frame mounts fabricated and the welding done.....

This was one of the toughest bars, I wanted to keep my dash so my buddy used a piece of 1.5 DOM to hug the firewall and tie into the down tubes. This will allow me to reinstall the dash and hide the support bar.

Finally we got to the last two tubes, these required alot of coping but I really like how they turned out.....

I used to build cages with a guy and that thing is crazy tough!  I take it you plan on rolling often...At least that's how it's built.  I'm not used to seeing windshield halo hoop down bars in the middle accept on non-street driven trail rigs for example...

I do wheel this thing hard..... and the one thing I'm certain of is that it will eventually end up on it's top.  I don't like the down bars in the windshield because they just make it harder to see, however, in almost every MJ/XJ roll over pic you'll see the center of the roof caved in, this is the only reason I had these installed.  I'm hard on this Comanche but that doesn't mean I don't love it and want it to last as long as possibe.  Next I'm going to cut out the sheetmetal on the outside skin of the A-pillar and sink my rub rail into it as deep as possible.  Once the bar gets to the roof it will lay on the drip rail and get tied into the interior roll cage with two peices of tubing running through the roof. after the rub rail leaves the roof it will bend down and toward the center of the truck and become the down bar of the bed cage. I need protection from rocks and trees but I hate an EXO......

Coming from a guy who owns my favorite MJ on the planet and isn't afraid to scratch the paint ........that means alot...... thanks

:teehee:  ah shucks.   I wish I could loan you the dimple dye, those braces would look sick with holes cut in them as you mentioned, but even better dimple dye'd.

Really does look good. Really like that you are hiding the A pillar cross brace in the dash, way better than in line of site above dash. Most would not take the time......

:cheers:

Being only five foot six inches I didn't want anything above the dash, a buddy is lending me a set of dimple dies that work with an impact so I'm definately going to open those up. Thanks Guanaco..... the hood it really did turn out nice..... I'm really wishing now that I hadn't sold it....

I built that in my brothers garage from my hood and an old lime green one..... just threw down some lines and cut out the wedges.  After that I rolled a 1.5" piece of pipe down low and a 2" piece at the top and started welding.  As far as I know nobody makes an aftermarket Cowl induction hood for our Jeeps anymore.

Picked up a set of black 04 black WJ seats over the weekend...... also a set of sliders and floor bracket from a set of 98 XJ seats....... hopefully the MJ will get the cage finished up this week and I can start putting the interior back in.

Well my cage guy finished up my roll cage last night..... I still need to have the mount for the spare tire done (which will drop down from the hoop) but first I gotta get it over to my brothers to have 6" bobbed from the rear of the bed. Once that's done I can mock up the spare and see where I like it....... A buddy of mine sourced me a piece of lexan for the back window so I still need to get that done as well.......

The rear window will be Lexan but in 3 pieces.  I'll cut a couple pieces of flat stock and weld those to the window lip as close to the bars a possible. Then I'll cut and notch the 2 side pieces and bolt them in. Next the center section which won't be much smaller than the original window..... my plans are to us tabs and make this section removable so when I'm on a long ride with good weather I can remove it allowing for more "Natural" air flow.  Of course that's my plan, but you know what they say about plans...... LOL