"Unicorn" Update.....The current state of the 4-92 built MJ.

ComancheKid45

Hey guys, I finally made it up to my Uncles tonight to check in on what Rob (Automan) dubbed The Unicorn before the sale. Greg has been putting some good work into it since his purchase. Currently the project going on is redoing all the rear brake lines. He has purchased a set of 30x9.50 tires on some fancy but not overkill wheels (IMO) here's a few pictures ive snapped, He has a new set of Doors to go on it and will likely convert them to power as well. Hes hard at it with a few buds and I estimate itll be road worthey sometime in late summer if i had to guess ;)

Figured Rob and you guys could use and update, and the peice of mind that its not sunk up to its axles in a mud hold somewhere :rotfl2:

• 6 months later...

Sorry fellas i havent updated this since Janruary! Anyway the truck is in its final stages....Ill probably be up at my Uncles house again next week and Ill be sure to show you all the finished product. Its definently gonna be a suprise, but I assure you the truck has a whole new outlook on life once again :cheers:

Just a small teaser for the wondering minds ;)

Well guys after a few hours in the shop here's what rolled out earlier this evening...

I'm gonna warn ya 1st, your 1st reaction is gonna be :eek: but I made sure to preserve the history of this truck in my own little way for him (amongst what he wanted). Its in great hands and will live on its life as every MJ should. After all THIS truck is one of last Survivors produced under the Chrysler banner :bowdown:

Enjoy the photos of tonights progress and the rebirth of "The Unicorn" :clapping:

What I was greeted with this evening. Yes thats Dodge Challenger Toxic Orange :nuts: My uncle paints almost every one of his projects Orange, and this wasnt any different...

Gettin the striping layed out, with help from a friend

O Yeah....this is where the History comes in, I had Spencer hunt down "Chrysler Hunter green" for the stripes. It took a good while but he came through and even though the outside is now Orange, the trademark color that made this truck famous still lives on! The bottom color is silver. :thumbsup:

Hunter green on the tailgate as well. jamminz.gif

I will be returning later this week for some daylight photos, I'm very happy with the outcome (even if it isnt green anymore) as well as my uncle. it needs a few small quirks yet but Hes just ready to get behind the wheel and drive!

Damn. Red, green, silver and orange...... really? It's like Burger King and the N.Y. Jets went in together on a promotional vehicle.... What a shame. Far from any "preservation" by my definition but whatever. That truck would have been SICK in it's original color......

But hey........ the important thing is that it's being fixed, and enjoyed. For that I give ya props. :thumbsup:

Wade and I had exchanged a couple texts about this just now. I had saw it and figured that I would sit on it for a day or two to see if my mind changed.

First off, I have to give credit where credit is due. This truck wasn't the cleanest, or the least rusty, and I am glad to see it shine. Someone took the time and money that Wade and I lacked and put back into it to make it new again. So thank you for that.

On the other hand:

640px-7x6_fake_unicorn_horn.jpg

I really think that repainting the only known factory Hunter Green Metallic Eliminator is some sort of blasphemy. Effectively removing the horn from what was the Comanche Club "Unicorn". No longer can it be recognized and upheld as a possible one-off or one of few factory original colors to don the Eliminator stripes. You could have lowered it, raised it to the heavens, chop topped it, or any of the like, but the one thing that made that truck what it is - The paint - Is but a memory.

Credit where credit is due, but I really wish I would have kept the truck after seeing it's uniqueness has been stripped away. Sorry.

Rob :cry:

I like it. :thumbsup: Though I do miss that green color. favorite MJ color ever. :yes:

don't let yourself get too worked up over it Rob, the unicorn can always be repainted. There' a big difference between a survivor and a restoration. Once it's no longer a survivor, it can be whatever the current owner wants and it's still the same truck, a restored 92 MJ. If you won the lotto and bought it back, you could always just redo the restoration. I'm ecstatic that the time and effort was put into it rather than letting it rot away or get crushed. jamminz.gif

I like it. :thumbsup: Though I do miss that green color. favorite MJ color ever. :yes: . I'm ecstatic that the time and effort was put into it rather than letting it rot away or get crushed. jamminz.gif

Thanks Pete. I can say I'm not suprised by yalls reaction, I too would have loved to bring that truck back in its orgional Green colors but It was not my truck so the next best think was just to bring a Comanche back to life. If you look past the color the truck has been completly gone through from the exhaust to the brake lines its all been replaced and brought back its glory. Hes already gotten many compliments from the genral public, and will do us proud in preserving a true 92 Comanche ;)

I'm not here to try and defend myself but just to make a point.....Id rather see the truck alive and well in Orange than sitting in a yard somewhere withering away in Green. After all I did what i could and was very appreciative of the input i was allowed to put into this truck...and remember its soul will always been Hunter green and the stripes on the side just proove it :cheers:

I like it a lot, the only thing I don't like is the red decals but other than that I give two thumbs up, that is one sweet looking Comanche, I understand Rob and a few others being upset, but to each his own. If your uncle wanted an orange 92 MJ more power to him.

The paint looks like it lays on there good, I give you props for doing it the right way. :thumbsup:

Like most, the color combo doesn't excite me though and I'm anal enough to see that the decal on the driver's door doesn't line up with the body lines... :peek:

That looks more like Jeep Dozer Orange than Toxic Orange. I don't dislike it, but the front end is missing something. Maybe if the grill inserts were black or something. I think I could handle either the red or the green, but both on the orange is just a little much. As much as I love custom colors on different vehicles, I could not have painted that truck anything but the original green. It was pretty sharp looking.

Dozer:

upwings_Dozer2012.jpg

Toxic Orange:

I made another run up there today an snapped some more pictures after a nice detail and a coat of bedliner in the bed.....Its nice to see the truck out in the daylight and He was all smiles all day.

Hangin out With Oscar ;)

:cheers:

My opinion based on appearances only, FWIW.

Walker = Flying High. Captures the intended theme perfectly. Love it. Breaks the sound barrier. Perfect.

Unicorn = Grounded. No theme, a multicolor rainbow clash. Too many decals. Doesn't flow, doesn't fly.

And most importantly, super congrats to you and uncle for saving this 92 as we all agree. :cheers: That effort alone makes all the posted negative comments insignificant.

Not my cup of tea, But my comanche won't be the others either...

loose the red comanche sticker, Black or silver for jeep on tail gate & break the front up grill black ?

Well done for a quility build & takeing the negitive in your stride :thumbsup: