Gearing down for the Diesel MJ. IL > PA > VA > IL

Automan2164

Well, as some of you may or may not know, I have an MJ trip of somewhat coming up here the end of this month... I will be traveling from Harvard, IL, to Shippensburg, PA, to Virginia Beach, VA, and back.

I will start the trip at my place, loaded up with the 1992 Late build Hunter Green Metallic Eliminator, destined for its new home in PA, with Comanchekid45's uncle, who plans on restoring it. After a night's stay at his place I am headed to Virginia Beach, VA, to Rebelfish99's place to pick up the '86 Factory Turbo Diesel MJ.

Once I have the diesel on the dolly and loaded up, I plan on taking my time to get home. Probably drive a few hours a day, stopping at any curious spot, diner, drive in, dive, or hole in the wall. Going to have to stop by D.C. and see the monuments again, hit up the Smithsonian, and pay my respect to the tomb of the unknown. . I also wanted to post this up to see if any of you might be along the way. Maybe if I could draw myself out a map with members names and contact numbers at points along the way for emergencies, maybe a beer/meal if you aren't too far out of the way. The way there and the way back are pretty much the same. When I mapquest it with the PA stop and without the PA stop, there is only a 9 mile difference.

I have pulled strings to get my roomie's '05 Silverado 1500 5.3L V8 extended cab to pull the MJ's. I wish I had something capable enough to tow, but the ZJ just isn't up to the task. I think that distance is just too much for the 4.0L and Chryco trans. I know his truck pretty good, its only got about 60K on it, and a decent hitch. Should work good for what I ask for it, gas mileage excluded. :ack:

As for the trailer, I am thinking a dolly would be the best bet. JeepcoMJ is downsizing his setup, and is willing to sell me his dolly for the trip. I've used the dolly before, so has a handful of members. Geonovast even took it to MO. I plan on looking into a spare hub, as well as a race/bearing set. Be one of those "Safer than sorry" kinda deals. I drive pretty sensibly, and keep the speed in the gas mileage range, so I should be good with it at 65-70. I'm in no hurry. World's Fastest Comanche Pete also offered up his car trailer if I replace the ramps that someone didn't return the last time he lent it out. I thought about this, but I don't know his trailer all that well, don't really like the thought of an extra 2500 lbs behind the truck, plus the 3200 lbs of MJ. If I was going a longer distance, I might be more interested. What do you guys think?

Either way, I can't wait for that sigh of relief when I pull down my road with the Diesel in tow, and can see my driveway... I'll enjoy the trip, but there is that sense of relief when its all said and done.

Rob :cheers:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was gonna offer my trailer.. but if Peter offered his.. that's a moot point.

Think I'd be better off with the trailer? I was thinking dolly... If you are still offering, I might be interested... Think it's up to snuff enough to go to VA?

Rob

If any of the wheels are touching pavement, as in when using a dolly, most stated including Ohio require the towed vehicle to have insurance and valid plates, so a trailer may be the way to go.

What is your planned route?

If any of the wheels are touching pavement, as in when using a dolly, most stated including Ohio require the towed vehicle to have insurance and valid plates, so a trailer may be the way to go.

What is your planned route?

Illinois is the same way.

Rob.. I don't know what kind of trailer Peter has. But does the truck have a brake controller in the cab? My trailer has electric brakes on one axle. So the truck has to have a controller.

Peter said he has an 18 foot car trailer, with a small dovetail at the back. He mentioned something about how it might need some work, so I am unsure... Plus, I don't know what the ramps are going to cost. It's getting down to crunch time, I won't have the time to overhaul it, and I am going to be strapped for cash. If we could work something out, that might be better.

As I understand it from my boss and my co-worker with similar Chevys, if it has the tow package, it comes wired for trailer brakes. My boss has a GM brake controller that apparently just plugs into the dash, and that's all you need to do. I could see about borrowing the controller.

Rob

If you're going via Shippensburg, you are going to be very tempted to take I81 down to Hagerstown and then hit I70/270 into DC to pick up I95

Do NOT do this, especially if you are pulling a trailer......traffic around I495 (beltway around DC) is horrific, unless you are coming thru at 2 AM on a Sunday morning.

Stay on I81 down to I66 and take it east to route 17 and come in thru the back side of Fredericsburg and pick up I95 there.

I am about 20 minutes south of Richmond on I95 (Chester, VA), exit 58B. There's also a full service Pilot truckstop off this exit, too.

Swing by on your way down or back, or both....I'll feed ya and beer ya up :cheers:

Jeff

If you're going via Shippensburg, you are going to be very tempted to take I81 down to Hagerstown and then hit I70/270 into DC to pick up I95

Do NOT do this, especially if you are pulling a trailer......traffic around I495 (beltway around DC) is horrific, unless you are coming thru at 2 AM on a Sunday morning.

Stay on I81 down to I66 and take it east to route 17 and come in thru the back side of Fredericsburg and pick up I95 there.

I am about 20 minutes south of Richmond on I95 (Chester, VA), exit 58B. There's also a full service Pilot truckstop off this exit, too.

Swing by on your way down or back, or both....I'll feed ya and beer ya up :cheers:

Jeff

Ditto. I drove a 26' box truck to DC to deliver furniture. I got stuck in stop and go traffic on 270 20 miles from the beltway at 5:30am. The beltway was gridlocked all day long that day. Changing lanes was fun; every time I just about had a hole beside me to fit into a car pulled into it.

:agree:

I towed one of my donors about 2 hours, albeit with my XJ at the time with a tow dolly. I also drove 14 hours to get my current MJ with a trailer and would say with out a doubt a full trailer is the way to go. Beg, borrow or rent (come on now you really didn't think I would go that far?) a trailer and you will be so much more happy.

A tow dolly usually is almost impossible to back up and you keep wondering if the straps are good on the front wheels. Just my opinion good luck!!

Well.. mine is 18 foot.. flat, no dove tail. I have 4 foot ramps for it. They are fine to load a stock height Jeep. But forget loading any lowered vehicle on it.

I have a 6-pin round connector for the lights and brakes. If its really necessary we could swap a 7 pin RV connector onto it.

Brakes are good, tires are also.. I have only used it three times this year and all close to the house. I haven't checked the bearings this year. The wood deck has one crap board, but I throw a steel plate down over the hole, but the hole is growing a bit.

If you wanted to go the dolly route... The Unicorn's plate and insurance would be fine to get you out there. Illinois does offer a temp plate for the return trip, but you would have to have the title on the new truck for that to work. Also State Farm has recently acquired coverage. You just need to call your agent and let him know.

... I wish I was going :(

feel free to swing by and pick me up on your way east. :D

For real. Jeep adventures with Rob are the best!

x2.. he always seems to have something go completely sideways into funny-town....

Hence one of the reasons my trailer is probably going. Get the funny first hand...

x2.. he always seems to have something go completely sideways into funny-town....

Hence one of the reasons my trailer is probably going. Get the funny first hand...

You mean like the time I picked up my XJ donor, ended up with 2 flat tires on the car trailer in the pouring rain on the side of the interstate, and had to take wheels and tires off of the XJ to put on to the trailer?

Or the time I went to pick up the donor MJ and he kept taking things away because they "weren't his" and it came down to an extra $50 or me leaving? Then him offering me anything in the barn?

Or when I picked up the long bed roll bar and almost ended up in the hospital because the guy who had it on his truck was an idiot, and wrenched the bar up when I was straddling the bed and he hard core pinched the boys?

How about my trip to Neohic's place solely for a black interior, and the last minute decision to remove the whole rear interior of her car so we could take hers?

Or the time I went to buy a shed for my MJ parts overflow, spent 4 hours taking it apart on a Wednesday night, then driving home late, and the trailer with the load of shed deciding that it was too cool to stay attached to the truck?

Oh the stories... So many more too.

Rob