Comanche of the month, Apr 2011 --- COMANCHE COUNTY's 1989

As we always hear, "Don't know what took so long for your truck to be here." Well, be prepared to say it again... This month is no exception. Enjoy. :cheers:

---------APRIL 2011---COMANCHE COUNTY's 1989 PIONEER-----------

4883668719_5547d27b84_z.jpg

MODEL AND YEAR 1989 Pioneer SWB 4x4

ENGINE & PERFORMANCE:It still has the Stock 4.0 that has somewhere around 210,000 miles and still runs great. I rebuilt the cylinder head at 181K, that's only work that's been done to the engine.

DRIVETRAIN: It has front and rear Dana 44s. Both have Dana 4.56 gear sets and ARB air lockers and were sourced by scrounging CL. The front is a first generation Dynatrac High Pinion 44 I found in Atlanta, the rear is an original MJ D44 I found in Fort Worth. It has seen several transfer cases but currently has a NP241J with the 4:1 low range and built in SYE, found it in San Antonio. This transfer case might be my favorite part of the drivetrain. Driveshafts are both custom lengths.

COOLING: Stock closed system and works like a champ, but does get a little warm in the summer in traffic, but its never overheated. I'll probably convert it to an open system this summer.

ELECTRICAL & IGNITION:All stock.

STEERING: I installed a Down East High Steer kit with a one ton drag link, tie rod and one ton TREs. The pitman arm is stock. I think it's the angles that make this system really easy to steer, I can turn the steering wheel with one finger.

SUSPENSION:

I think its got somewhere around 7-8" of lift.

The front coils are Motion's 6.5" progressive rate coils underneath JKS ACOS spacers with 4" bump stops. Shocks are Pro-comp. The control arms are Rock Krawlers Long Arms. Specifically just their long arm upgrade kit. I really like these, they're beefy, the brackets bolt to the frame rails and don't require a new crossmember so I can still access the transmission.

The rear suspension consists of an MJ spring pack with an extra MJ main leaf with a bolt on SOA kit. Shocks are from Motion.

INTERIOR: Stock Buckets and full console. I've got a 4 point cage that came out of a Toyota that is currently bolted it but I'll be welding it in soon. I've got an old Alpine CD player, a sony 600 watt amp, two 4.5" Polk audio full range speakers in the doors and two MTX 10" subs behind the seats. Its got to be loud because I lost some hearing in Iraq, then also its really loud going down the road because I am currently using my Comanche Club magnet as a headliner.

BRAKES: Braking system is stock, except for the Booster. I swapped in a WJ booster from a 99 Grand. This made a huge difference in braking. For safety's sake everyone should do this mod especially if you're running larger tires.

LIGHTING:Umm, all stock, and my interior lights work!

WHEELS/TIRES:Currently I'm running two sets of 35" tires. My street meats are Dick Cepek Fun Country IIs, and the offroad shoes are 35" Maxxis Creepy Crawler Bias ply tires. The Creepies are a seriously beefy tire, I can run them with hardly any psi. I highly recommend Creepies if you want a loud rough ride, poor MPG, and an essentially indestructible off road tire.

MISCELLANEOUS:Future Mods include an OBA system powered by a York compressor with two tanks, in the bed and using the JCR rear bumper as a tank. This truck didn't come with the A/C option so it's got the A/C delete pulley, perfect place for a York.

Other plans include an On board welder, integral through the cab cage/roll bar, and some old XJ limited leather seats if I can ever find some good ones. I've come to accept that I need to do some major fender trimming too.

Best MJ storyThere's lots....the time I ran out of gas 3 miles from the nearest station during a Colorado snowstorm, the time I got both the MJ and the XJ stuck trying to plow out my driveway, but my favorite is my very first experience with an MJ. I was 15 or 16 and three of us went deer hunting in my friend's, Dad's brand new Comanche. We got it stuck, then unstuck, then we starting target shooting resting our elbows the hood. So were were lined up there, plinking away and my buddy Brian was shooting his new .243 and the muzzle blast ripped a huge hole in the hood. Of course we panicked and cooked up a story that some other hunters must have shot it while we were in the woods.

What owner loves best about CCEveryone is cool, very little personal attacks which really turns me off other sites. For the most part I have to give official "Good Dude" status everyone on here. Plus you're all a bunch of crazies with the same affliction I have. There seems to be no medication for this thing I call "JOCD". I mean come on....its a truck and its a Jeep, what more could you want!

5556261915_42e6c8579c_b.jpg

5556260323_bfea849fce_b.jpg

4694547289_bdb79cdb7f_b.jpg

4883669623_6a5c49f528_b.jpg

4771466402_7365c306f1_b.jpg

4770831403_4472a042c7_b.jpg

4695177024_93529a45ac_b.jpg

4883669237_6db2541c81_b.jpg

4827670433_6f58a134d6_b.jpg

4695180002_a9ddedf654_b.jpg

5060918085_5e165b9d3e_b.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jay, let me be the first to congratulate you on a very nice MJ.

I know many of our very own members look up to it as one of the ones to beat, or become. The first time I saw those plow lights I couldn't stop laughing, but I had a feeling you sort of meant it to look like feelers on a slug. Your build thread is very good, and you are sure to take LOTS of pictures, even just showing the difference in a small part. Makes it very enjoyable to read, and easy to follow. This MJ has grown, and we've been able to watch it evolve. Even facing tough times after coming back from Iraq, it still couldn't keep you down, and away from the MJ. Its bigger and badder than ever, with no sight of stopping anytime soon.

Congratulations on your MJOTM!

Rob L. :cheers:

• kryptronic unpinned and featured this topic