Dirteatrs Thin Wallet Build... TRUGGY TIME

What happened?!

And youve got soms good friends atleast your okay.

can't wait to see on what you have planned

check out my "bad night" thread in the pub, short story is, I rolled it and messed up my shoulder and started taking it apart as much as I can with 1 arm :wrench: can't thank my friends enough for what they did! As for structural supports I'm going to put some 1.5x3 .120wall box to the frame after I plate it. I'd use at least 2x4 from the pinch seam out to protect the sides of your rockers and bottom of your doors a little otherwise your just protecting 1.5" of surface under your rockers lol

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened?!

And youve got soms good friends atleast your okay.

can't wait to see on what you have planned

check out my "bad night" thread in the pub, short story is, I rolled it and messed up my shoulder and started taking it apart as much as I can with 1 arm :wrench: can't thank my friends enough for what they did! As for structural supports I'm going to put some 1.5x3 .120wall box to the frame after I plate it. I'd use at least 2x4 from the pinch seam out to protect the sides of your rockers and bottom of your doors a little otherwise your just protecting 1.5" of surface under your rockers lol

i may go up to 1.5x3, looking at other builds...its mainly to add some strength to the frame, and in case i drop down on something, it should catch on just the 1.5" tube..but thinking about wider now. gonna stick with 1.5 tall still, with 1x1 braces plus angle tabs to bolt through the pinch seam to, worked really well the way i saw it done.

can't quite tell from the pic, but did you weld the tube to the pinch seam, or to the sheet metal on the outside of the pinch seam?

edit, found a pic of kinda what i want to do, courtesy of detoursusa's xj slider/stiffeners

xjuni01_lrg.jpg

something similar to this, but instead of the tube running the full length of the frame, i want to put 4-6 braces that bolt on...but need to do some more looking under the mj first...i'd rather use all stock bolt holes

Damn I didn't know you rolled it! Well out of disaster comes triumph I'm sure you have big plans for it. :thumbsup:

Just as I was getting mine on the road too! . :MJ 1: .

I'm still super happy for you and the group of friends you have, it makes me smile everytime i see that photo of all you guys.

Best of luck on the rebuild and I'm excited to see how it all plays out :thumbsup:

Damn I didn't know you rolled it! Well out of disaster comes triumph I'm sure you have big plans for it. :thumbsup:

Just as I was getting mine on the road too! . :MJ 1: .

I'm still unsure of exactly how to go about rebuilding it but it will look awesome no matter what! itll be back in no time so I can check out that fresh paint! @ComancheKid I'm still kind of in shock, every time I pass my driveway or walk down to my garage and see two manches I get pretty excited :D

@ComancheKid I'm still kind of in shock, every time I pass my driveway or walk down to my garage and see two manches I get pretty excited :D

Haha Just think what its like with 4 of em! :rotfl2:

How about four and a half?!  :nuts:

• 3 weeks later...

I know just about every other member has said it, but I'm stoked to see you walked away from that in one piece, and you have some freaking awesome friends man! Can't wait to see what you do with the rig, good luck man, definitely following this!

Thanks dude! I was going to buy a cherokee before they got me the new manche and every single one of them said the only thing they could see me driving is a comanche so they got me one :) As for the plans... its finally getting the cage I always wanted but not like this :doh:  oh well! I plan on cutting the roof off just below the drip rails around the b pillars and about 2-3" behind the windshield and building a simple cage. The roof will get straightened out as best as it can and ill make it a removable "hardtop" so I can take the doors and roof off :rock on: I want it to be totally sealed to the elements because for 6-7 months out of the year I need an enclosed cab. I'm still on the lookout for a front Dana60 at a reasonable price and possibly 40" tires 8)  I need a new windshield, driver side axle shaft for the rear 44 so I can drive it again and to weld/braze a small hole in the gas tank from the rollover then I can do this again :driving:

Finally got my bumper mounts made and got my bumper bolted up! Incase you didn't see it earlier in my thread it's an Or-Fab XJ rear bumper. I think it looks pretty good and should help protect the bed corners :thumbsup:

I know this is going waaaaaay back but when you attached the bumper to the angle iron did you attach it to the end of the angle iron or to the top of the angle iron?

Tinkered on both trucks yesterday. Put my HIDs and headlight housings in the little manche and straightend the driver side rear shock on the bug truck as well as flip the shackle around because its bent and would make contact eith the hitch if it flexed, also put the TC linkage back in place. Didn't get much done but now I know what I need in order to get my 89 drivable again.

Another radiator, fix hole in gas tank, Ujoint for rear driveshaft, easy out 1 of the ujoint strap bolts out of the yoke, driver side unit bearing AGAIN, steering column torx bolts AGAIN, straighten steering wheel, new windshield, nake a cage seal off the cab somehow and weld up the hole where I put the seat through the floor. just to give you an idea of how far over everything moved, this is even after I straightend the roof and door some! The doors open and close fine now though :thumbsup: here's the little guy that I've been daily driving, can't complain about the 25ish mpgs :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Took mostly everything apart that I needed to and took the windshield out by myself and didnt cut myself and bleed to death, pretty happy about that but I'm still jobless because of my shoulder injury and once I do get a job ill be able to get some jeep parts so I can move this pile out of my driveway and bring it to my buddies shop and build a cage for it. I don't know if I want to chop it all off at the bottom of the a pillar and get new sheet metal from a Cherokee and start fresh (which seems like the best option) or work with what I got and hope a new windshield fits in there kinda sorta and then slap a cage on it and finally drive it again.... Feedback anyone?
here's my buddies XJ I helped build a few weeks back, 98 cherokar sitting on 79 d60 front, custom 3 link front, 01 FFd60 rear stretched about 2'' back on 37" mtrs. And below is a guy that lives a town over sitting on 40" pitbulls... Ive always liked his cage and front end.

Don't think ill have to chop the roof off :D got it mostly straightend out thanks to Cherokee-chief and his magical hammer skills. After putting a come along against a tree and a piece of 2x3 against the b pillar with some chain and some jumping on the opposite side it pulled most of the roof over, both doors open and close fine and hopefully a new windshield fits, ill find out soon enough! Thanks again Brett :)

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up some goodies and did some work yesterday, got two tan new style 2dr bucket seats and a tan hood from a buddy of Cherokee-chiefs and I. Got a new hub bearing installed and the gas tank patched, rear driveshaft put back in with a new u-joint after i drilled and tapped the yoke. Just to show you how much the cab was bent over I have a before and after pic! doing the 96+ brake booster swap today, mounting the seats and welding some patch pieces over the holes in the floor from putting the seat through the floor when I was bouncing around during the rollover.