Dirteatrs Thin Wallet Build... TRUGGY TIME

I've been thinking about building a mild stroker for some time now, occasionally browsing jeepstrokers.com and finding out all the little details needed to make it a happy well running motor. Since my original motor has 150k miles on it, has a badly cracked exhaust manifold, leaks a little oil and has a mild lifter tap until its warmed up and it feels slow and old, a fresh stroker motor only makes sense for a replacement :) so that brings me to the 96 XJ shortblock that fell into my lap... its bored .030 over and has dished pistons and a refreshed head and mild cam...Ill get all the fine details soon, Just need a 4.2 crank and rods :D I needa stop collecting parts...

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered Hd Engineering XJ front frame stiffys, because my steering box is trying to rip itself through the frame... I already have the JCR steering box spacer and my bumper mounts go all the way back but the frame cracked underneath and is squishing the frame like a cereal box so ill have to strengthen that whole area .. Also got a set of mint front fenders and getting a spare fuel pump and sending unit from a member on here.. Sheesh

Frame stiffys have arrived and Reese approves of them :D

So my girlfriend got me a 44" LED lightbar for my birthday from Olympus offroad! Dual color(white and amber) and dual row with 20,400 lumens of awesomeness! I mounted on my roof for now until I do my cage, then it'll be protected

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found a set of rust and dent free fenders! And they were my original paint color... Oh well. Waiting for paychecks to come in so I can get some other goodies such as a tranny mount, unlike mine with no rubber left and a ZJ fan clutch and finally put my frame stiffys on! Along with my fox shocks and rear shock hoops and axle mounts. So much crap to do and no time... Did I mention I need all this done before the end of the month... I'm most likely moving to Park city UTAH! Got a sweet job offer working for Sexton offroad B)

Thanks guys! I'm excited for the trip and new experiences. I've never been west of Pennsylvania haha. Thanks RQuartz! Still have to check your truck out before I leave B)

Absolutely. Do you go to any of the meets?

@rquartz, I don't usually goto the NYC/LI meets just because nobody knows anything about their own trucks, they all have John build/ fix their $#!& lol and Dan I'm so pumped! I started building my sleeping platform in my bed for the cross country trip, got some 1/2" CDX plywood and some 2x2 for some supports. I even got my ladyfriend helping me build it too B)

Ill take pics when I'm done of how it came out, should be a pretty sweet lightweight setup! :thumbsup:

@rquartz, I don't usually goto the NYC/LI meets just because nobody knows anything about their own trucks, they all have John build/ fix their $#!& lol and Dan I'm so pumped! I started building my sleeping platform in my bed for the cross country trip, got some 1/2" CDX plywood and some 2x2 for some supports. I even got my ladyfriend helping me build it too B)

Ill take pics when I'm done of how it came out, should be a pretty sweet lightweight setup! :thumbsup:

Lol agreed. I've kind of noticed that too

Finished putting on my frame stiffys and some little stuff like changing my headlight bulbs to a less noticeable color so I don't get pulled over cross country. The stiffeners help tremendously with ride quality and I noticed my steering is a bit tighter too. No more little squeaks and bumps aren't felt as much.

• 4 weeks later...

Welp driving through Toledo Ohio right now on my second day on the road, stopped at the KOA Campground in Sandusky and hope to make it to the next one near Omaha Nebraska by tonight! Trucks full and sagging a little bit but doing good so far! Keeping my speed between 65-70 and getting 17 mpgs!

Finally added my pics to my photobucket and finished unpacking all my stuff into my new house! Made the trip with no major issues besides losing a Lower control arm bolt on the axle side somewhere in Illinois haha. I brought extra nuts and bolts in just about any size and put a new one in and kept going to Nebraska where a tractor trailer with a flatbed had a million rocks on it and of course one found its way to the middle of my new windshield :/ I averaged about 17 mpgs and can't complain because I had some weight in it. Ill post pics in order from Sandusky Ohio next to Lake Erie to the Utah border!

Camped out overnight on Rabbits Ear Pass near steamboat springs and it was beautiful! Had some coyotes come really close to our campsite but was still a nice night in the middle of the woods

Made the rest of the trip from steamboat springs to my new house and stopped at the Dinosaur National monument and saw some cool stuff and then passed the border into Utah for the home stretch!

2,461 long hard miles later I can say this truck has done more than I can ask of it!