want to buy a knife.... what do i get?

camjeep3

well for graduation i got a gift card to bass pro and i really want a decent folding knife... i have a little leatherman now thats nice(got it at walmart) its just a bit to small :D i want one with a clip locking blade and some sort of assisted opening with a decent sized blade. price range around $50

so what do yall suggest?

Buck and Gerber are not what they used to be... Kershaw gets you a good line of assisted opening blades in the Ken Onion line. Steel is OK, not great but OF, for the money you have to spend, your options on "good" knives are limited. Stay away from "stainless" blades and anything offered on those TV infomercials.

Cold Steel is one of my favorites as are Benchmade. But the style of recent bench made is not to my liking but the quality is there. You will find some CS knives in your price range, but not so with Benchmade. At least not new...

I don't know where you are or the laws regarding edged weapon carry. So beware of the laws. Around here its 4" of blade length, that's cutting edge, so double edge knives get measured on both sides. I know your not asking about this just pointing out different laws. "Spring" assist are not legal for carry, but legal to own... Kershaw are legal as long as they are shorter then 4".

If you EBay, look for an older 110 or slightly larger 112 Buck. This is a great knife, as are old Schrade Uncle Henry knives. Puma made a good one as well, all of these new are above your spending limits, but On EBay, you will find what you want.

If you didn't figure it out, I also have an affinity for knives... :yes: :brows:

Good luck,

CW

About 3 months ago I needed a new pocket knife. Was at Ace hardware looking for something else and saw there knife display. Finally settled on a Buck because of the name and having had a couple before. I thought I was buying American made. Got home and looked at it closer and guess what? Made In China. Can't put a edge on the blade. Can't even cut black electrical tape with it without sawing. I do not recommend Buck.

the last 3 knives I bought (aside from machetes) were Kershaw. I love them. the first one I bought at a local Walmart and after about 2 years the assisted opening only opened half way making a right angle. I called Kershaw support and they said mail it in for warranty work. paid to ship it out and they sent me a new one (they either repair and I believe sharpen or send a replacement.) I still have that one I just carry around a new one I got.

I know you have a gift certificate to bass pro shops but this is where I picked up mine www.Manventureoutpost.com weird name but they have awesome prices and a great selection of other outdoor and camping stuff. if you want something IE. different model knife by a manufacture that they carry, email them. a lot of times they do have it or can get it.

nice, the first one I got was the Kershaw leek with a serrated blade. it was nice, though the tip was a little to pointy (nice at times buy always the potential of breaking off). then I got the Shallot and the Cyclone both with serrated blades, all of them are pretty thin and I like that, just clip it on the inside of my pocket and I can barley tell its there. The Cyclone was a little to hefty so I don't take it out to often, the Shallot is the knife i carry every day and I love it.

I have a Kershaw JYD That has served me well for 2 years now:

http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kershaw-Junkyard-Dog-II-Composite-1725CB.htm

It has a D2 blade sandwiched between two stainless layers. Holds it's edge very well and is very easy to sharpen. Fits my hand very well, too.

I also like Emerson Commander, but since my D2 JYD performs so much better than their S30V at nearly half the price, I likely won't buy another Emerson for anything other than mebbe self-defense, or just the fact I love em for some odd reason. They just feel right. For hiking, or hunting, I use a custom forged Bowie knife in the 9" range.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?ttl=Emerson%20Commander%20Series&srch=eqCATE%20CODEdatarq%3Dem%26eqKEYWORDdatarq%3Dcommander

I hate to say it, but much less than $75-80 in a folding knife and you are likely going to end up with something not worth buying...for light use you can get away with some AUS 8 or 440C stuff from Cold Steel. But that stuff isn't really built to last except mebbe some of their camping stuff( I like their shovels and Kopis). As with everything in life, buy quality and buy it once, or rarely, and ya won't cry. But when it comes to tools, there is never a reason to cut corners. There is nothing worse than a tool that fails you when you need it.

Here's a 12" Bowie I made not too long ago - the raw steel in it alone cost me $75, then I had to turn it into a knife...

large.jpg

The two I really like is the leatherman and the SOG Trident. I've gotten away from the Rambo knives although they do have a purpose for self defense, camping and hunting, and it is nice to be able to hack through tough material, small trees, or deer bones with a bigger knife,,,,

But, that biggo knife hangin off your side may not be practical for your purposes. I like leathermans because I once lost a Super Leatherman behind the damn at Possum Kingdom lake in about 12 feet of water. I dove down and lost in it all the vegetation that I stirred up looking for it.....one year later, I went back to the same spot, jumped in and this time there wasn't a mass of vegetation and found it immediately. It had some river gunk caked on it but the blades were still razor sharp and it wasn't rusted. I cleaned it up and it was as good as new after being submerged for a year.......later on some jerk stole it from me at work.

I like the SOG Trident Tanto and carry it everywhere I go. Its a great blade, it opens as fast as an auto and I can pull, open, use in one motion, its for protection only and has never been used - knock on wood.

I also have a Benchmade Auto. Its an awesome knife. I prefer not to carry it though.

My favorite knife ever is the ol' Gerber Gator. :bowdown: Been making it for almost 20 years now, almost unchanged. gotta love that rubber grip. :D Still have the one I bought in '93 and I've abused the crap outta it. Even split wood with it one camping trip by using it as a wedge and wailing on it with another log.

0001365806079_500X500.jpg

second favorite (and my daily carry): the Kershaw Leek:

Kershaw-leek-1660ST-350x350.gif

screw that get a handgun

While I'm a fan of guns, there are some things you really need a knife for. You can also carry a knife into many places where a gun is not permitted - for instance I'm carrying a Leatherman Surge and two folding utility knives right now, on company property. If this was discovered I would either be mildly reprimanded or nothing would happen, heck, I've used them to help out in the test lab before, two of my co-workers borrowed the folding knives and I used the leatherman while we were unpacking new equipment and setting it up. If I was discovered carrying a gun, or even having one in my locked vehicle in the parking lot, I would be summarily fired, walked out by security, and likely brought to court over it.

I'm not saying the company is wrong at all in this, it's private property, private property rights trump the second amendment.

Aside from my Leatherman I prefer cheap knives - for woods use (and knife throwing practice) I have a couple of United Cutlery UC1232s, which cost about 15 bucks each and are worth every cent. My folding utility knives have replaceable blades so I use them on anything and everything - I've been known to cut through wiring harnesses at the junkyard using them. Throw a new blade in (for a whopping 19 cents when purchased in bulk) and it's as good as new.

guns and knives both have thier place... when I'm 21 i will be packin a S&W as much as i can... until then i will just have a knife :D i bought the one in the link. should be here soon. can't wait :clapping:

There is another good name... CRKT.. I have a couple of these and really like the M16 line... There is a couple sizes to choose, they have a double lock and are assisted opening. nice knife. hard steel, nor so easy to get an edge on, but it holds it pretty good... its in your price range as well...

CW

All the good stuff is made here in the PNW. Gerber, Kershaw, CRKT, Benchmade, and Leatherman are all headquartered within 100 miles of each-other(and me).

What I carry everyday, a Leatherman Charge, I love it because it has a pocket clip on it so I don't have to wear the ghey-@$$ pouch. I've met Tim Leatherman, he makes good stuff and really wants to be providing people with a top quality and very useful product.

picchargeti1.jpg

My camping knife:

img57802qs.jpg

My favorite folders:

I rarely carry this one because I hesitate to use it since it's my favorite.

Osborne Axis

bm940d2bl.jpg

Gerber Fast Draw, I love how clean and slim this knife is, I've had it for a few years and the assisted opening still feels new.

Fast-Draw7161.jpg

I've also got a Snap-On Ken Onion Kershaw, just like the one you are ordering, it's a good knife it's just a little thick and bulky for my liking. Mine also is 50% serrated which I'm not a fan of.

What I carry everyday, a Leatherman Charge, I love it because it has a pocket clip on it so I don't have to wear the ghey-@$$ pouch. I've met Tim Leatherman, he makes good stuff and really wants to be providing people with a top quality and very useful product.

Might have to look into that myself. I wore the "ghey @$$ pouch" till Friday, when I spent the whole day on a ropes course... last obstacle of the day, lost my footing on the Pirate's Crossing, ended up hauling myself across using only my arms while shouting obscenities (falling off a rope 40 feet in the air has a way of loosening my tongue somewhat!) and discovered on getting to the other side that the foot rope had torn the pouch right off my belt as it went flying by me. Oops... for now I just carry it in my pocket.

There is another good name... CRKT.. I have a couple of these and really like the M16 line... There is a couple sizes to choose, they have a double lock and are assisted opening. nice knife. hard steel, nor so easy to get an edge on, but it holds it pretty good... its in your price range as well...

CW

:agree:

I have two and love them. I have owned Gerbers, Buck, and Kershaw's over the years, but the M16 line from CRKT tops them all!!!