Pete M

Looking for driveshaft lengths of stock trucks

Can someone measure and confirm the:

lwb,_4.0,____ax15-ba10/5,__np231,___d35= 50"

I pretzeled my shaft a while back, measured for a new shaft (wrong) at 51.5". :mad: Must have had too many beers when I was working on it....

Now I measured from ujoint center to ujoint center with the slip yoke hanging out of the end of the tcase and i'm getting 50", which sounds right, but it really looks like there is no possible way that my old shaft could have been 50". Laying the two pieces next to each other it comes out to 48" and generally when you pretzel a shaft the metal stretches.

Also, as far as I can push in the slip yoke, there is still 1.5" that hang out of the tcase. Is this normal?

I don't see my upcoming combo. I'm putting an 86 model AX5 NP207 trans and case combo from a longbed 2.8 and putting it into my 87 2.5 shortbed. So I will need a length for the 2.5 AX5 NP207 shortbed combo. I saw someone ask if the 207 is the same length as a 231, but didnt see it get answered. This answer might help extrapolate what I might need. I don't have it apart yet to see what ill need, but I did buy a driveshaft a few years ago when I thought I would be doing the swap and have just had it stored ever since waiting for the clutch to go bad. Well, the time has come. Thanks for the help.

How do I figure out the length I need with a lift? I've got a 4.0 ax15 231 8.25 soa set up, so I've got atleast 5 inches of lift in the rear. I'd imagine that'd pull the shaft out a bit, but is there any real way to tell?

How do I figure out the length I need with a lift? I've got a 4.0 ax15 231 8.25 soa set up, so I've got atleast 5 inches of lift in the rear. I'd imagine that'd pull the shaft out a bit, but is there any real way to tell?

SWB + 4.0 + Manual + 4WD with D35 = 43.25" or with D44 = 42.25"

The D44 is about 1" longer than a D35 and the Chrysler 8.25 is about 5/8" longer than a D35. A 5" lift requires about an extra inch of drive shaft length which in your case will be compensated for by the length of the Chrysler 8.25. Your stock drive shaft may fit perfectly.

• Put the drive shaft in place.
  • Mark the transfer case output shaft where the slip yoke stops.
  • Remove the drive shaft.
  • Measure from the mark on the output shaft to the rear edge of the shaft.
  • Measure the inside depth of the slip yoke.
  • Subtract the output shaft measurement from the slip yoke measurement.  This will give the maximum slip travel.
Ideally 1.5" of slip travel is wanted, but it can get down to a bare minimum of 1".

I've actually got a 2wd swb manual driveshaft that needs cutting, that has a yoke with too few splines, so I have to rely strictly on the information on here. If 42.25" is ideal, then it sounds like I've got what I need to cut it. Thanks for the help. 

Ok, I just want to confirm... I had a 2.5L / AX4 / NP207 with D35 on an '86 LWB.  I now have a 4.0L / AX15 / NP242 with D35 on the '86 LWB.

So, I need to get my drive shaft cut down to 50 inches? 

So I'm looking for a 53.125" drive shaft, PM me or directly at jed101455@gmail.com. I'm in TX and will ing to come to you or if your headed to Austin for a weekend of music and fun we can meet.

I'm converting to AX15 2wd from a BA10/5 4wd with NP 231.

Curious other than looking for this 53.125" drive shaft where would I might find one in a Cherokee?

Thanks

James and Sugarfoot, we stll saddle up.

Pete... Can we scrounge up a thread for what driveshafts out of other vehicles fit what set ups.I think itll help a lot of pplppl. Or am I overlooking an existing thread

my memory isn't the greatest, but I'm not sure I've heard of ANY other vehicle's rear driveshaft that works in our trucks. :(

I know the drive shafts from older 1/2TChevy pickups will work. Probably Dodge trucks too. They have the same 27-count spline slip yokes and 1310 series u-joints. I'm using a GM slip yoke now. They may have to be shortened but for sure they will work. I'm looking for a decent aluminum GM shaft now at least 60" long.

Sorry to bring an ancient thread back up but, I have an 86' 2.5 5 speed 4wd LWB that I bought with no drive train.

I have an extremely rusted out 91' 2.5 5 speed RWD short bed to swap everything out of but I need a new driveshaft.

So since a 2.5 5 speed rwd LWB isn't common, would a shaft from an 86' 2.8 LWB rwd work?

On 2/13/2019 at 6:19 PM, TheDude said:

Sorry to bring an ancient thread back up but, I have an 86' 2.5 5 speed 4wd LWB that I bought with no drive train.

I have an extremely rusted out 91' 2.5 5 speed RWD short bed to swap everything out of but I need a new driveshaft.

So since a 2.5 5 speed rwd LWB isn't common, would a shaft from an 86' 2.8 LWB rwd work?

that's quite possible.  they share the same transmission, mount, and crossmember location.  :L: 

86' 2.8l used an ax-5 transmission?
I never new that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, TheDude said:

86' 2.8l used an ax-5 transmission?
I never new that.

what did you think they used?

(in very rare circumstances the T-5 could have been substituted when AX-5s ran short on supply)

what did you think they used?

(in very rare circumstances the T-5 could have been substituted when AX-5s ran short on supply)

Ha, I just assumed it was something else apparently.

But AMC using the same trans on multiple engines does not surprise me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk