• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can someone measure and confirm the:

lwb,_4.0,____ax15-ba10/5,__np231,___d35= 50"

I pretzeled my shaft a while back, measured for a new shaft (wrong) at 51.5". :mad: Must have had too many beers when I was working on it....

Now I measured from ujoint center to ujoint center with the slip yoke hanging out of the end of the tcase and i'm getting 50", which sounds right, but it really looks like there is no possible way that my old shaft could have been 50". Laying the two pieces next to each other it comes out to 48" and generally when you pretzel a shaft the metal stretches.

Also, as far as I can push in the slip yoke, there is still 1.5" that hang out of the tcase. Is this normal?

• 1 year later...

I don't see my upcoming combo. I'm putting an 86 model AX5 NP207 trans and case combo from a longbed 2.8 and putting it into my 87 2.5 shortbed. So I will need a length for the 2.5 AX5 NP207 shortbed combo. I saw someone ask if the 207 is the same length as a 231, but didnt see it get answered. This answer might help extrapolate what I might need. I don't have it apart yet to see what ill need, but I did buy a driveshaft a few years ago when I thought I would be doing the swap and have just had it stored ever since waiting for the clutch to go bad. Well, the time has come. Thanks for the help.

• 4 months later...

How do I figure out the length I need with a lift? I've got a 4.0 ax15 231 8.25 soa set up, so I've got atleast 5 inches of lift in the rear. I'd imagine that'd pull the shaft out a bit, but is there any real way to tell?

SWB + 4.0 + Manual + 4WD with D35 = 43.25" or with D44 = 42.25"

The D44 is about 1" longer than a D35 and the Chrysler 8.25 is about 5/8" longer than a D35. A 5" lift requires about an extra inch of drive shaft length which in your case will be compensated for by the length of the Chrysler 8.25. Your stock drive shaft may fit perfectly.

• Put the drive shaft in place.
  • Mark the transfer case output shaft where the slip yoke stops.
  • Remove the drive shaft.
  • Measure from the mark on the output shaft to the rear edge of the shaft.
  • Measure the inside depth of the slip yoke.
  • Subtract the output shaft measurement from the slip yoke measurement.  This will give the maximum slip travel.
Ideally 1.5" of slip travel is wanted, but it can get down to a bare minimum of 1".

• 1 year later...

So I'm looking for a 53.125" drive shaft, PM me or directly at jed101455@gmail.com. I'm in TX and will ing to come to you or if your headed to Austin for a weekend of music and fun we can meet.

I'm converting to AX15 2wd from a BA10/5 4wd with NP 231.

Curious other than looking for this 53.125" drive shaft where would I might find one in a Cherokee?

Thanks

James and Sugarfoot, we stll saddle up.

• 1 month later...

I know the drive shafts from older 1/2TChevy pickups will work. Probably Dodge trucks too. They have the same 27-count spline slip yokes and 1310 series u-joints. I'm using a GM slip yoke now. They may have to be shortened but for sure they will work. I'm looking for a decent aluminum GM shaft now at least 60" long.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bring an ancient thread back up but, I have an 86' 2.5 5 speed 4wd LWB that I bought with no drive train.

I have an extremely rusted out 91' 2.5 5 speed RWD short bed to swap everything out of but I need a new driveshaft.

So since a 2.5 5 speed rwd LWB isn't common, would a shaft from an 86' 2.8 LWB rwd work?

On 2/13/2019 at 6:19 PM, TheDude said:

Sorry to bring an ancient thread back up but, I have an 86' 2.5 5 speed 4wd LWB that I bought with no drive train.

I have an extremely rusted out 91' 2.5 5 speed RWD short bed to swap everything out of but I need a new driveshaft.

So since a 2.5 5 speed rwd LWB isn't common, would a shaft from an 86' 2.8 LWB rwd work?

that's quite possible.  they share the same transmission, mount, and crossmember location.  :L: 

11 hours ago, TheDude said:

86' 2.8l used an ax-5 transmission?
I never new that.

what did you think they used?

(in very rare circumstances the T-5 could have been substituted when AX-5s ran short on supply)

• 1 month later...

what did you think they used?

(in very rare circumstances the T-5 could have been substituted when AX-5s ran short on supply)

Ha, I just assumed it was something else apparently.

But AMC using the same trans on multiple engines does not surprise me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey everyone! My current project is putting the combination of a 4.0, ax15-ba10/5, np231from an ‘88 long bed into an ‘89 short bed. The shorty was originally 2.5, ax5-ax4, 2wd so neither of the rear driveshafts are the right length for my current setup. I now need the swb, 4.0, ax15-ba10/5, np231, d35 length. I believe it’s 43.25” according to the table above. Can someone confirm this and does anyone have suggestions of where the best place to get one would be? Thanks! 

11 hours ago, Pete M said:

there are a few quality mail-order driveshaft shops out there.  Tom Woods driveshafts comes to mind. :L:   If you follow the steps on their site and get a measurement, they can help you get the right one.  :D  

Thanks Pete. I’ll check them out. 

• 9 months later...

Just went through this whole thread, surprised that no one has posted up a parts catalog photo yet showing the different part numbers for the XJ/MJ driveshafts. I’m guessing that there is info in the part catalogs for what shafts fit for what applications? 

I have a rear MJ shaft here in my inventory with part number 8953004661, I’d love to know what it will fit... I think it is a LWB 2wd shaft.

46 minutes ago, 500 MJ said:

Just went through this whole thread, surprised that no one has posted up a parts catalog photo yet showing the different part numbers for the XJ/MJ driveshafts. I’m guessing that there is info in the part catalogs for what shafts fit for what applications? 

I have a rear MJ shaft here in my inventory with part number 8953004661, I’d love to know what it will fit... I think it is a LWB 2wd shaft.

that's a shaft for a both:

2wd longbed 4.0 manual dana 44

and

2wd shortbed 2.5L manual dana 35

20200703_173120.jpg