BJA814's Silly bed cover thingy.

BJA814

It looks pretty good,Ive seen a few trucks driving around here with soft canopies,havent looked into who makes them but they look pretty cool and thay would be less of a pain in the butt then a regular hard canopy.

I'm planning on adding at least on more hoop, and most likely some top bars running front to back. The only part that isnt bolt on is going to be the main hoop behind the cab.

It actually does pretty good as far as wind. I've had it up to 50 mph with just the ratchet straps holding it in, and it doesn't flap at all, just kinda gets sucked inward from the wind.

It's still in the development stages, but I just couldn't wait to show you guys :D

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• 4 weeks later...

Ok here is an UPDATE!! WOOOO

Sorry it's been so long, had to take pics with the cell. work, blah blah blah.

Top is an 8x10 Military canvas tarp. 3 hoops bent up by myself, the first is welded to the top of the bed, the second and third and removable. Top is pulled tight with pull straps (Don't pull too hard, it will rip the tarp). It stays on the truck up to 50mph so far with no flapping or tearing. The poles running front to back are old tent poles, and I welded the ends onto the rollbar, so they are still a slip fit. Let me know if anyone has anyquestions.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I had planned to do something similar when I built the cheepo-bed cage on my old MJ.

(cut down YJ & CJ bars, with tubing stick welded in between) :

You're setup makes me wish I followed through with it. :cheers:

FWIW, I miss the cage, was great for home-depo trips, would just lean up all the 10'+ lengths of wood on the ft portion of the cage, and the side bars would keep them from falling out (= no tying things down).

If I kept it, I was gonna make a chunk of the rear bar removable (a bolt-on section 48-50" wide in the middle), to fit taller stuff (like a refrigerator, etc).

Nice work on yours, looks great with the lines of the Jeep image_209027.gif

(the CJ/YJ bars would've made mine narrower overall than yours is)

Thanks for the compliments guys...

Main hoop is 1 1/2" pipe, and the other two are 3/4" i think? haha I'll check for you. I just grabbed em out of a scrap pile.

Schedule 40 water pipe?? or something exotic... Cause that would finally be a good use for that Harbor Frieght bender that gets brought up every once in a while...