HO Fuel Sending Unit

I know this is like asking for the moon, but I'll ask anyhow:

I picked up a NOS XJ HO fuel sending unit, and I need to "borrow" a sender from a 91 or 92 MJ to see if I can mod the XJ sender to fit an HO MJ. If it's broke or toast that's okay, just need one to work with. Perhaps with a little creative cutting, bending, and brazing I can get the XJ unit to fit in the tank and work. I know about the tank baffles, etc. but I'm thinking maybe a mod is possible.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be dropping the 97 XJ's tank in a few days. I am going to try and make the XJ tank and sender work in the MJ. Like most here I am coming up empty handed on finding a HO pump and sender. Even if I do find the HO parts I am not sure the sender will work with the 97 electronics.

I may have to put the tank in the spare tire location if it won't fit in the stock location. Which I doubt it will because of the size of it.

We will see soon enough.

I will be dropping the 97 XJ's tank in a few days. I am going to try and make the XJ tank and sender work in the MJ. Like most here I am coming up empty handed on finding a HO pump and sender. Even if I do find the HO parts I am not sure the sender will work with the 97 electronics.

The 97+ sender/pump assembly is kind of a modular unit, but it still has a float that varies a potentiometer. So an old MJ HO sender should work, IF the HO sender pot's value (105 ohms) is close to the 97, and the polarity is the same.

I'll make you a deal Don.....if you or anyone else can get me a Renix assembly (4.0), I'll swap it into my MJ and send you the HO one I'm currently running. It works fine with my Renix, sans the fuel gauge ;)

I'll make you a deal Don.....if you or anyone else can get me a Renix assembly (4.0), I'll swap it into my MJ and send you the HO one I'm currently running. It works fine with my Renix, sans the fuel gauge ;)

Hey Jeff, I must have missed something. I know you swapped in a Renix 4.0, but why do ya have the HO sender/pump? Did you also change your gas tank with a 91-92 tank? :huh???: :huh???:

No, kept the same tank but swapped out the 2.5 pump assembly with a 4.0 HO one from out of the junkyard. I know, I could have just swapped the pumps between the two units, but opted to just switch the whole assemblies (plus my old 2.5 setup is now living inside one of Pat's MJ's).

Like I said, it runs fine, except my fuel gauge reads backwards, and is off by a good 3/8 of a tank :(

Jeff

Well, this project is over. I found a NOS HO MJ p/n 4637184 fuel sending unit buried in the archives of Ebay, send the guy an email, and he still had it, $55 shipped. In comparing the XJ and MJ HO units, I suppose the XJ unit could be modified, but it would take a lot of creativity. About the only common part is the potentiometer itself and float. But it's real easy to change the sender's output voltage polarity and use it in a Renix application. Both ends of the pot have solder terminals. Simply remove the BLU wire and resolder it to the other leg of the pot and the voltage output polarity to the gauge is reversed. Tested and verified. :D I do not have a Renix sender but I'm sure this will work as well providing both ends of the pot are accessible.

Well, this project is over. I found a NOS HO MJ p/n 4637184 fuel sending unit buried in the archives of Ebay, send the guy an email, and he still had it, $55 shipped. In comparing the XJ and MJ HO units, I suppose the XJ unit could be modified, but it would take a lot of creativity. About the only common part is the potentiometer itself and float. But it's real easy to change the sender's output voltage polarity and use it in a Renix application. Both ends of the pot have solder terminals. Simply remove the BLU wire and resolder it to the other leg of the pot and the voltage output polarity to the gauge is reversed. Tested and verified. :D I do not have a Renix sender but I'm sure this will work as well providing both ends of the pot are accessible.

Don,

If I only took pictures of my RENIX sender unit! If the reverse is true and we simply had to resolder the wire to the other leg to turn it into an HO compatible unit that would make my year!

Thanks for all your diligent work on this. :cheers:

Here a picture of a Renix sender unit. The sending unit looks a little different that the one you posted from the HO unit :hmm: If you need a better picture, let me know.

The HO fuel senders were standardized for the 91-92 HO MJs; one sender fits both MJ tanks, unlike the Renix senders that were different for each tank. The pumps are different too between the Renix and HOs too, as I'm sure the learned Wildman knows. :D The tag on my 91 sender harness (still there amazingly) matches the tag on the new unit I acquired.

Bob, can't quite make out the potentiometer on the MJ sender. Is the opposite leg of the pot accessable to resolder the fuel gauge wire? Or is the pot sealed?

I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know, It's been a while since I've played with the sending unit, I think the "cover" just pops on (or screwed on) and I'll check that out, and get some close up pictures for you.

• 1 year later...

possibly a dumb question cause it states this is for a 91-92 HO, but i have to ask. from what ive been seein is that when i complete my 96 xj 4.0 and wiring swap into my 89 org 2.5 mj, my fuel guage will reard backwards. no will reversing that wire on my 89 sender correct my problem?

• 11 months later...
Here a picture of a Renix sender unit. The sending unit looks a little different that the one you posted from the HO unit :hmm: If you need a better picture, let me know.

:shake: WOW! I am glad this popped up! According to Wildman's pic, I just found that I have a XJ sender in my stock w/tray shortbed tank!

:idea: No wonder things don't go together well, and the steel lines are bent/twisted.

My stock, non tach dash gas gauge worked fine, but after swapping in the tach panel, my gauge read backwards, tho the low fuel light worked in the normal fashion.

It appears that the renix xj guage wire is not reversible, so it may be that the gauge panel I used had at sometime been replaced with a HO dash gauge.

I'm getting another set of gauges, after I get the tank headaches straightened out. :fs1:

:doh: And my mj is a '90.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I looked all over the internet for a 91-92 comanche sending unit. I never was able to find one. I was buying some other stuff at Autozone and the guy asked me if I needed anything else. Just joking around I said not unless you can get me a fuel sending unit for a 91 or 92 comanche. He looked it up and had it in stock. It is a delphi pump and sending unit combo. It is a little different than original but it works great. Fuel gauge reads real accurate. It comes with a delphi pump. I would recommend throwing that away because it is noisy as hell. My jeep sounds like an s10 with that annoying fuel pump hum. No modifications needed just set it in and your gauge will be accurate for 79.99.  Now the Ho swap is basically done and everything is working. I forgot to grab the part number but, i will post that up later for you.