HO Fuel Sending Unit

sorry, but I don't see how the fuel usage could be anywhere close to the same. the physical length of the Delphi unit is 2" shorter then the factory pump. that has to amount to at least a few gallons difference overall

in any event, its obviously working for you. how or why? I dunno. maybe its because you have a renix tank? when you pull it again could you possibly take a picture of the inside of your tank, to see its similarities/differences from mine?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and even still, the Delphi unit is ~2" shorter so you will loose some fuel usage. your gauge will be right, but there will never be a full capacity usage.

You could add something like Walbro pickups to the bottom of the tank attached to the pump assembly. The gauge still won't read 100% correct, but you won't 'run out of gas' with a few gallons left in the tank because the pickups would be on the bottom of the tank not suspended above the fuel level.

went to pull my 88 parts trucks FSU  hoping id atleast have something else to use, even if it would be wrong, and found a very good condition factory tank skid plate! :yes:  but the tank itself looked very similar to swiss cheese :cry: .  went to pull the hoses off of the nipples and one nipple came off with the hose (HAHA) also couldn't get the lock ring to spin off... apparently that didn't matter because it rusted off of the tank anyways.. and I was able to just pull the hole unit out with the lock ring inplace.  to my surprise tho, the intank pickups looked damn good, and it had a shiny silver BOSCH factory pump bolted in still, this truck also only had 95k miles on it BTW.  after sitting for over 2 years with zero fuel in it I test jumped the pump with a 9V battery and it buzzed right to life. so I happily dismounted that to use on my truck as I had a rather noisy generic pump on mine. 

as I was about to get my unit ready to reluctantly send off to the rebuilders (2+week ordeal) , I was small talking to a coworker whose big into vintage vehicles and he informed me his close friend who runs a body shop is rather good at brazing and repairing old radiators, he offered to bring it over to him and see what he could do with it, forward fast a DAY and he brings it back to me, good as new. rebuilt both nipples and resealed the flange.   I reinstalled all the electrical and my newly acquired bosch pump, gave it a quick spray of silver rust stop paint and a thin layer of gasolia e-seal (ethanol specific soft set ptfe pipe dope) on the nipples, then threw her in the tank with a new O and lock ring and WALA works perfect and doesn't leak! :thumbsup:

Od7hlW8l.jpg